Trailering

TonkaDriver

450+ Posts
Feb 26, 2018
Bagdad, AZ, USA
I am picking up a TriGlide in TX in a couple weeks and unfortunately will be trailering home instead of riding. I am looking for expertise in tying it down. What types of straps and what points to tie off from. I am already aware that it is of vital importance to not tarp it if I want the paint to survive. Please include photos if you have them.

Thanks.

Kurt

Howdy,

I used a Python wheel chock in the front. Locks the front wheel down nicely.

I then used soft ties from Harley and ratcheting straps from each side to the front of the trailer. I removed the side covers and put the soft ties around the frame, then ratcheted the trike foreword, this keeps it secure in the chock.

I also used two ratcheting straps from the tie downs on the rear axle to the rear corners of the trailer. This prevented side to side movement of the back.

As an additional safety, I used a short ratcheting strap through the front wheel and around the chock.

All straps where tightened to just snug plus a little.

I went about 10-20 miles and stoped to check the straps. The trike will "settle some". After this adjustment I just kind of plucked the straps like a guitar string every fuel fill.

Hauled my tri to Vegas from Grand Junction in the dead of winter (500 miles), over the mountains. Luckily, no snow. All went well with no issues. Total trip 1000 miles with no issues.

Used the same method except instead of strapping to the axle tie downs I used a strap through each rear wheel to haul my 2008 Gold Wing Champion conversion when I traded it for my Ultra. Worked well on the Honda too.

Tri on the trailer before finishing thee rock guard. Not strapped down, but you can see the Python.

2015-04-09 12.43.22.jpg

Hope that helps.

There are two hooks built into the rear frame underneath for strapping down. Put it in a cheap or expensive wheel chock, ratchet it to the chock, two more ratchets in the rear holes, set park brake, put alarm in travel mode, and you will be good to go.

My chock came from H-Freight, less than $20 I think. Trike chocks are not needed to hold the thing up so you certainly don't need an expensive one, just one to keep those handlebars straight.

We have been trailering for the past several years, last 22 months with the TG. Actually leaving this morning with it in the trailer already locked down.

Enjoy that new Trike!!!!

I am picking up a TriGlide in TX in a couple weeks and unfortunately will be trailering home instead of riding. I am looking for expertise in tying it down. What types of straps and what points to tie off from. I am already aware that it is of vital importance to not tarp it if I want the paint to survive. Please include photos if you have them.

Thanks.

Kurt

With my Tri-Glide i put a rachet strap though the front wheel, with a rag between the wheel and rim so the strap won't leave a mark, [Careful not to hit the rotor ]

And then there's a tie down loop under each rear shock made for strapping it from there...

...Just remember to deactivate your security alarm before you start off (see your manual).....or you could run the battery down while trike is bouncing on trailer! Happened to me the first time I trailered my tri glide).....but I'm sure you already know this.

Cheers!

I did quite a bit of research before setting up my enclosed trailer for hauling my tri-glide.

What I finally went with was using and EZ-Trak system. with 1 strip outside and behind each back wheel and 3 strips up front, one for the wheel chock (it is made for the trak system and enables me to move the trike forward and back to get it in the optimal position easily) and one on each side about a foot out.

To tie the bike down I found that most do not recommend tying above the suspension compressing it as that can do one of two things 1. the suspension may compress more when a bump is hit causing the ties to come loose. 2. It could also damage seals in the suspension.

I tie to the back tie down points under the rear axles and use soft ties up front around the forks just above where the fender is mounted. these points do not compress the suspension and the times I have hauled the trike it has stayed solid.

The back straps go to the rear and the front forward so they are pulling away from each other.

As others have stated put your trike in travel mode and also do not leave it in gear as this could damage your transmission.

Just my opinion and may not be worth much but it is what I do.

Bob

I did quite a bit of research before setting up my enclosed trailer for hauling my tri-glide.

What I finally went with was using and EZ-Trak system. with 1 strip outside and behind each back wheel and 3 strips up front, one for the wheel chock (it is made for the trak system and enables me to move the trike forward and back to get it in the optimal position easily) and one on each side about a foot out.

To tie the bike down I found that most do not recommend tying above the suspension compressing it as that can do one of two things 1. the suspension may compress more when a bump is hit causing the ties to come loose. 2. It could also damage seals in the suspension.

I tie to the back tie down points under the rear axles and use soft ties up front around the forks just above where the fender is mounted. these points do not compress the suspension and the times I have hauled the trike it has stayed solid.

The back straps go to the rear and the front forward so they are pulling away from each other.

As others have stated put your trike in travel mode and also do not leave it in gear as this could damage your transmission.

Just my opinion and may not be worth much but it is what I do.

Bob

When I haul the trike in the toy hauler, I tie down at the same points. I have a flip up front tire chock mounted in the floor of the toy hauler, which helps with stability. Never had an issue. Jim

My mistake on getting the cheap chock from Harbor Freight. They didn't have the one that was wide enough for my TG. I ended up getting about the same thing from Tropic Trailer down in Ft. Myers.

Just a note about leaving it in gear and/or setting park brake. Since I haul mine full time in an enclosed trailer along with our car I don't monitor my tie downs at every stop. I leave mine in gear plus set the brake just in case a ratchet strap would break without me knowing it. As tight as I ratchet mine down I really don't think I am stressing my tranny.

My mistake on getting the cheap chock from Harbor Freight. They didn't have the one that was wide enough for my TG. I ended up getting about the same thing from Tropic Trailer down in Ft. Myers.

Just a note about leaving it in gear and/or setting park brake. Since I haul mine full time in an enclosed trailer along with our car I don't monitor my tie downs at every stop. I leave mine in gear plus set the brake just in case a ratchet strap would break without me knowing it. As tight as I ratchet mine down I really don't think I am stressing my tranny.

I always leave it in Gear brake on.....When i'm trailering ....In my humble opinion in neutral the Trike will move a little [Forward and Back] and put a strain on the straps and the components that the straps are hooked to...:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png