Trike shop Roadhawk with front brake

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
Anyone on the forum have a Roadhawk with a front brake. Was wondering how much it helps. Mine doesn't have a front brake. 2002 model. I know it is very light on the front. I am in the process of putting disc brakes on the rear. I don't know if I could even find a front brake set up. Mine uses an older Harley springer.

Yeah....That is going to be a hard one.

Have no clue as to the maker of the Springer or the wheel.

Does the wheel have a mounting flange?

If not then you need a wheel.

If it is Harley based there is a chance that some parts will just fit without modifications.

I had to work out every dimension and fitment. I started with getting a rotor on it. That then determined where the caliper had to be.

The brake don't do a lot on a light front trike. An emergency back up...hold it on a hill start....ect

Front brake

I talked to the people at Roadsmith yesterday. The fellow I talked to said they actually made the Springer. It uses a 19" rim and it is drilled for a rotor. He thought the caliper came from J Brake. He couldn't tell me much more. I saw an older article on the forum of a 2009 Roadhawk with a front brake. The Springer looks like mine. I may see if I can get in touch with the fellow and see if he can send me some good pictures of it.

Roadhawk front disk brake

I can send pics if you are still working on this. I had to replace caliper. I used a HD Sportster unit. Front disk is pretty useless except for holding at stop or under 10 miles per hour. Locks up to easily l. About to replace triple tree and front end with tubes bigger tire and dual disks. WHole springer and brake assembly will be pit up for sale when I am done. Regards Al Foitag

I can send pics if you are still working on this. I had to replace caliper. I used a HD Sportster unit. Front disk is pretty useless except for holding at stop or under 10 miles per hour. Locks up to easily l. About to replace triple tree and front end with tubes bigger tire and dual disks. WHole springer and brake assembly will be pit up for sale when I am done. Regards Al Foitag

Al, Welcome to Trike-Talk.......:wave4:

We have a 2017 road Hawk with the front brake. I also can send pics is you want them. I always use the brakes together, so not really sure how much difference the front brake makes by itself, except in some localities a front brake is required. I can make the front end "dance" while stopped - holding the trike still with the front brake only, let off a bit and the front forks drop, reapply the brake and the trike wants to climb around the axle due to the geometry of the front suspension. I'll sit at a stop light and make the front end bounce, get a thump on the helmet from the back seat.

Reactions: CAG
Roadhawk with front brake

I don't know if there is enough weight on the front wheel that a front brake would help a whole lot. The rear disc brakes helped a whole lot. They still make a little noise when I am barley rolling but I have learned how to use the brakes where it is minimal. Thanks for the comments.

Not very useful for me

For me it was pretty useless under 10 miles per hour and locked up really easy. Good for holding you at light. It touch of it stops the front end wobble when stopping using rear brakes only. I am scraping the whole front end and replacing with tubes a much bigger tire and dual disks. Really hoping that solves a lot of my handling and stopping problems. Already upgraded rear brakes to what race buggies use.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png