Shocks

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
I ordered new shocks for all four corners. I changed the front today and this is what I found on the left front. These had 35,000 miles on them. As you can see, the bushings were gone and it was also leaking. Right side looked OK except the bushings were a little worn.

IMG_0803.JPG

I didn't take it for a ride as I still can't get a return call from TBMS about my hood rubbing after leaving a couple of messages. I know they were in Daytona, but this is after they returned. I still have the back to do along with replacing the ladder bars with the new style. The new shocks are set to the second setting. I understand it should ride better with the new shocks and ladder bars. I'm looking forward to that new trike feel. Rick

I would try to call again. I've not gotten thru on occasion but, have always received a answer to any questions when I did. And as you know Richard does read and reply to the posts here obviously trike talk. You may have caught him on vacation. Tomg

Rick, did you order directly from TBMS or did you go through a dealer? Last time I ordered, TBMS gave me the info, but I had to go through a dealer. Thanks.

I ordered new shocks for all four corners. I changed the front today and this is what I found on the left front. These had 35,000 miles on them. As you can see, the bushings were gone and it was also leaking. Right side looked OK except the bushings were a little worn.View attachment 55885 I didn't take it for a ride as I still can't get a return call from TBMS about my hood rubbing after leaving a couple of messages. I know they were in Daytona, but this is after they returned. I still have the back to do along with replacing the ladder bars with the new style. The new shocks are set to the second setting. I understand it should ride better with the new shocks and ladder bars. I'm looking forward to that new trike feel. Rick

I changed my front shocks out yesterday. The bottom bushing on the left side was a little battered, but not as bad as Rick's, possibly because I am running one notch softer

setting than he is. The ride is just a little more "cushy" with the new shocks. If there was a way to repair the damage bushings, I would consider it above replacing shocks. The

shocks are $125.00 each plus tax and shipping.

I finally took it for a 150 mile breakfast ride today after all the work. I changed the front and rear shocks. These are easy to do. I also changed the ladder bars to the new style. This is definitely a two person job unless you're really good and have very long arms. Left side was a PIA. Right side was not too bad. It will take all day to do the ladder bars and shocks, if you want to do it. It will take drilling some holes in the body, to gain access to the front bolt, and I had to modify the front bushings on the new ladder bars to get them to fit. I don't know if it was the ladder bars, shocks or a combination of both, but the ride and handling seem to be much better. I had a slight wobble coming down a hill from 70 mph with my foot off the gas that went away. I did re-torque the front axle and replaced the shocks, so I don't know which one fixed that. This is not a cheap fix, it is time consuming and it takes some knowledge. Would I do it again, you bet.

Here is a picture of the old and new styles of ladder bars.IMG_0811.JPGThey look different because the old one is from the left side and the new one is from the right side. I had the left one installed when I took this picture.

Rick what did the new ladder bars cost from TBMS? Also can you provide a somewhat detailed description on what you did to change them out PLEASE?

I changed out my ladder bars about five years ago. I guess I did it the hard way. I lifted the console to remove the forward mounting bolts. It's either that or drill a hole in the back of the kickwell. The forward rubber bushing is way too thick to fit the mount the way they are shipped. I used a disk sander to get it to fit, it is trial and error until it fits. Mine may have been a little more difficult than stock as I have an after market exhaust which makes it more inaccessible on the right side. It is just plain hard work. If you do it, try to do it in cooler weather. I did it in the summer and if I had it to do over again, I would pick freezing cold over summer. My 2 cents worth.

Ted, Since we cannot PM each other anymore you should have access to my email address. Send me an email and I'll shoot you my phone number so we can talk and I'll explain it to you.

I just saw Marc's reply as I was typing this. It's pretty much as he said. I did drill the holes in the body. I also have an after market exhaust, but there was plenty of room on my right side. Like I said, the left was a PIA.

Rick what did the parts cost? When I'm ready I will get with you. If I contact you now I will forget most of it when I go to do the job.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png