pros & cons

No con's except: Another higher monthly payment again

Taxes will be higher

Spending more money getting all the accessories on the new bike to make it YOURS again!

Pro's: You got yourself a brand new bike with zero mileage, ready to be broken in just the way you want it! :clapping::clapping:

Plus we'd all be jealous............. :blush::blush:

Ronnie

Riding even 2 up the M8 has more passing power in high gear, no need to down shift

I agree with Kevin, since the EPA clobbered HD, the warranty issue has reared its ugly head on 17 and up HD models

You will for now be bound to HD tuning, compliant exhaust and air cleaner choices

I like the M8 platform, I am biased:laugh:

Reactions: MDO
Agree. Can't see where 4 cu in can make that big a difference. But, I'm sure someone will tell us.

Take one out for test ride,

Its not just 4 Ci But where extra torque comes in that makes the difference...

With my 11 T/G I had true duels cat-less stage'1 6200 red line and slips-ons ..

My 17 T/G....Stock runs circles around it..So i'm leaving the 17 stock...

4,200 miles in 3 years.....I wouldn't think it would be worth the extra money unless you plan on riding a lot more miles. It wouldn't be worth it to me. Just my opinion.

Sunman

Traded a 2016 103 TGU with 15k miles for a 2017 107 (M8) and the difference in cost was only about $2900 OTD which was an amazingly great deal at the time as the dealership wanted to get rid of the "snake bit" trike and got a pristine higher mileage trike in trade. However, the 2017 was one of the early M8's where the engine puked at 15 miles and garbaged itself. HD came through immediately for the dealership that bought it back from the customer and sent a replacement engine. The replacement engine now has 5400 miles on it and is going strong. It does make a funny rattling noise on the lower part of the engine until it warms up for a few minutes and then the slight clatter goes away. I have heard that this sound may be related to the cam chain tensioner but my local dealer said that they all make some kinds of idiosyncratic noises to some extent?

As Kevin pointed out, it does (M8) pull harder at lower rpm's but runs out of steam at about 3900-4000 rpm on the back side of the torque curve whereas the Twin-Cam 103 keeps pulling until about 5000 rpm and then falls off the torque curve. I haven't had a chance to take it out West into the large mountains to see how it pulls up long grades. I found riding solo with the TC that I would have to downshift (sometimes down to 4th) going up really steep mountains to keep it truckin'. I suspect that the M8 would only have to be shifted down to 5th on the same mountains?

Because of the significant limitations for powerplant/exhaust upgrades that HD had to put on the 2017's and up with the EPA, I think that I would consider Kevin's (DK Customs) upgrades for cooler engine management on your TC and you may find that you have a lump that is happier with cooler running temperatures and gets better mileage? If you already have yours farkled out the way you want it, I would think that those upgrades that have been well researched by DK might be a cheaper and possibly better way to go? In terms of engine longevity, I really question how long these engines are good for pushing all of the weight that they have to do and the relatively high engine temps that they are running in stock form?

trade 2015 tri glide with 4200 miles on new 2018 tri glide anniversary special

Interesting. I have about the same mileage on my 2015 and I have no complaints about it. It would take a pretty significant change to get me to trade. I rented a 2017 for a day and didn't consider the bigger engine enough to warrant a change. But then again I ride like the old man that I am. :)

I'm right where Keith is. I got a really good buy on my 2016 just before the new M8's came out. The small increase in low end power doesn't impress me. If I was looking for more power and speed I certainly would not be riding a Harley in the first place.

I may be riding my last bike at my age. Possibly the only thing that could get me on the sales floor would be independent suspension and if they offered a pearl white option.

Keeping Mine Too...

I'm right where Keith is. I got a really good buy on my 2016 just before the new M8's came out. The small increase in low end power doesn't impress me. If I was looking for more power and speed I certainly would not be riding a Harley in the first place.

I have a 2013 that I have done a ton of upgrades to - both cosmetic and engine wise. I rode a 2017 and while it was nice and all that I didn't think it was worth the $$ to trade. With my engine work my 103 pulls as well if not better than the M8.

Now if the put in the 120 (or more) and Independent Suspension that might open my wallet a bit :laugh:

trade 2015 tri glide with 4200 miles on new 2018 tri glide anniversary special

4200 miles in 3 years!? It's not even broke in yet. Must be nice to have so much extra $$$ laying around. :)

I do at least 12K per year. Can't wait till next year when I can retire and put even more miles on it. Work sure impede my riding time. :D

Last summer my dealer offered me a new TG for my 14 TG and $9k out the door. Good deal but my wife would kill me since I traded my 12 TG for the 14 Rushmore. The over 100 improvements was worth it to me.

Good luck

I have a 2013 that I have done a ton of upgrades to - both cosmetic and engine wise. I rode a 2017 and while it was nice and all that I didn't think it was worth the $$ to trade. With my engine work my 103 pulls as well if not better than the M8.

Now if the put in the 120 (or more) and Independent Suspension that might open my wallet a bit :laugh:

I have a 2011 and the 103 engine blew up at 55,000 miles. So the problem then was to trade it in on a M8, which the dealer wanted me to do, or fix my 2011. My 2011 with a blown engine was not worth much according to him. Because of all the trinkets that I have added to my 2011 I decided to replace the engine. The warranty had expired 3 months before therefore my next question was what is the largest engine HD makes, and will a M8 fit my 2011. The M8 will not fit and the largest twin cam is the SE 120. Therefore the answer was put a 120 in it. The power difference between the 103 and 120 is more than I figured. There isn't a M8 that can keep up with me :) either. and I am quite happy with my 2011 :)

I only have 21,000 miles on my 2015 FLRT. It's paid for. I really like my FLRT and personally have no intentions of trading it in or selling it any time soon. But that's me.

Answer to your question is simple. If you can afford to do so and want to go for it. YOLO.

I only have 21,000 miles on my 2015 FLRT. It's paid for. I really like my FLRT and personally have no intentions of trading it in or selling it any time soon. But that's me.

Answer to your question is simple. If you can afford to do so and want to go for it. YOLO.

+1 , got my 12 the way I want it and a 5yr extended warranty. If the motor goes south all I need to do is remove the enritchiners, reinstall air box and that’s it. Oil filter relocation should not matter as it still has one, only relocated.

I really love my 2014 triglide. There are no complaints here. As others noted its just not worth the extra cost for the upgrade. Besides mama says NO! And that's that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png