Walmart lights?

Big_Steve

Tour Captain - Contributing Member
May 23, 2010
Southwest Florida
Buddy gave me a used set of Walmart driving lights. They're the ones that are about 3 inches diameter, chrome, and the lens appears blue.

Wondering if anyone has a set of these? Would like to know what value fuse comes in the kit. I installed it with a 10 amp fuse, since Ohm's law told me 2 55 watt bulbs (which is what I *think* these are) would draw around 8 amps. They were fine for about 10 minutes, then the fuse went. The fuse didn't splatter and burn like there was a short, it just slowly melted the solder at the end of the link. Didn't have any more fuses and couldn't find any today.

Would just like to know what the fuse was that came with them was before I start putting in a larger fuse.

i use them on yamaha now for almost 2 yrs with no problems. wired directly to battery. use 25amp fuse . there is some slight fogging in 1 of the lens but not bag. put switch in neck cover. how can you go wrong with a set of driving lights for under $20.00. lots of pictures and tips on vstar 1100 site. happy holiday and be safe ,ron

I installed a gang switch on the clutch reservoir. I wired a switch to a 40 amp relay to run the lights off the battery through a fuse. The relay fires off the aux 12 volt line through the switch.

A couple of folks on a different board told me it came with a 15 amp fuse. I put one in and ran it for about 15 minutes with no problems. Problem solved I guess.

ThumbUp

15 Amps sounds about right as two 55 watt lamps should draw a nominal 9.2 amps at 12 volts. A 10 amp fuse doesn't leave enough room for minor surges in the electrical system. You might get away with a 10 amp slo-blo but a 15 amp regular fuse should provide good protection.

i use them on my vstar wired directly to battery wth 15 amp fse. so far so good. about a year now. some lens fogging though . the price is right for sure.

Does this put a big drain on the battery?

I have not noticed a bit of difference if I mistakenly have them on while starting. And while running, the Alternator on my Valkyrie has more then enough extra power to handle them.

I guess you need to find out what your bikes alternator can handle, then add up all your lights and accessories to see if you have enough power left.

that's 9.16 amps 55 +55=110 divided by 12 volts = 9.16.. add a few feet of wire for resistance and bang blown fuse

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png