Rebel RT

RebelRouser

HPIM4050.JPGBack from the machine shop with the countersinking finished and trial fit,HPIM4054.JPGHPIM4051.jpgHPIM4053.JPGNow I have 3/8 (.375) side clearance form sprocket to swing arm plus 1/2 the sprocket is .150 so this gives me .525 for 1/2 the chain, which is about 1.000 wide total,:clapping: Measured the length for the axel spacers on each side, now to re-do the mounting bracket since the upper frame rail is going to be wider so that's next with the upper rails themselves widened, then to the jack shaft, more measurements tomorrow (Sunday) then off to my steel supplier for swing arm brackets 3/8 this time? and some tubing for the swing arm push rod and to figure the bell crank, :xzqxz:

I am just following this thread because it is interesting and I am learning new things and watching someone create what is in their mind. It is awesome.... I am not as knowledgeable as others here, but I do like to expand my mind and that is done daily here.Merry Xmas to All, and please enjoy your family and friends, oh and keep safe everyone.

RebelRouser

HPIM4078.jpgThe color, I want a medium red shade that can be seen from a distance.

Working on the paint for the swing arm now, and yes I remember the caliper bracket weld on, but later. I have to rely on rattle can for now...

RebelRouser

HPIM4093.jpgHPIM4094.jpgHPIM4095.jpgHmmmmm!!! Maybe orange?

Do you think a red chain might be too much? heeheehee Tomorrow is off to the machine shop for more little pieces of the frame to swing arm and the changing of the rear frame width rails.

RebelRouser

Machined the axle spacers and paint, HPIM4101.JPGNOT happy with the coil overs location...HPIM4104.jpgThe push rod is a pull rod? BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD...

RebelRouser

Damn I hate doing things wrong, That's what I get for NOT being an engineer, (re-work)HPIM4111.JPGThis should work?

Damn I hate doing things wrong, That's what I get for NOT being an engineer, (re-work)View attachment 65215This should work?

yup that is the right direction one problem i might see is the swing arm where the wheel is attached much longer than the arm where the shock is mounted you need a short through super strong spring...but being light you might be okay the other potential issue the short travel on the connecting rod is so short it will may change the realized spring rate hope that makes sense it would help if you rotate the arm clockwise by moving the pivot to the front an lengthening the tie rod

RebelRouser

RT coil over shock mock up.JPGAnother view, OK drawings are made and tomorrow is time to buy material and visit the machine shop...

couple of considerations you may have already thought of.....make sure spring has side clearance to frame side....it will have a sideways rocking motion......maybe have spring cross member adjustable to fine tune ride height? or maybe your rear heim jointed link does that already?

RebelRouser

More mock up, Things to do this week...HPIM4128.JPGHPIM4129.JPGHPIM4133.jpgHPIM4135.jpgMaybe I should install the upper rails then the coil overs?

HPIM4139.JPGHPIM4138.JPGThis one is simple and much weight and height.HPIM4143.JPGHPIM4142.jpg This is lower and compact to the rear and the weight of the shock is also supported close to the frame, I think I will go with this one? Please feel free for input...

do agree w/staceyb about linkage ratios, thinking, for the long swingarm lever the 2 red coil overs looked as they had travel that matched the lever......another disadvantage with the rocker arm setup is 5 pivot points vs 2 with the red shocks.....true, will have higher cg and space taken up that may be needed by some other component. one idea... swing arm turned over with red lever pointed down..... yellow shock fastened to center of swing arm crossmember, shock angled forward and down......link rods fastened to red lever ( that is now hanging down) link rods travel forward and up to meet a pin that ties link rods to both sides of shock, a guiding tube or mechanism would control the tie bar, some what like a crosshead on a steam engine, as the shock pushing forward pulls the link rods forward,which pulls the red lever forward which pushes the rear wheel down, thus suspending the frame....:confused: LOL hoping this makes some sense?

do agree w/staceyb about linkage ratios, thinking, for the long swingarm lever the 2 red coil overs looked as they had travel that matched the lever......another disadvantage with the rocker arm setup is 5 pivot points vs 2 with the red shocks.....true, will have higher cg and space taken up that may be needed by some other component. one idea... swing arm turned over with red lever pointed down..... yellow shock fastened to center of swing arm crossmember, shock angled forward and down......link rods fastened to red lever ( that is now hanging down) link rods travel forward and up to meet a pin that ties link rods to both sides of shock, a guiding tube or mechanism would control the tie bar, some what like a crosshead on a steam engine, as the shock pushing forward pulls the link rods forward,which pulls the red lever forward which pushes the rear wheel down, thus suspending the frame....:confused: LOL hoping this makes some sense?
...You just gave me a headache...

TommyJ......lol....I had a headache when I wrote that post, it got worse later!......very unconventional to say the least. but basically an >- with the shock on upper part of the > The strut rods on the bottom pulling the swing arm lever forward, and the - a stabilizing guide to keep the junction of the shock and rods from moving up/down or left and right, but only forward or backward. there would losses because of the angle of the shock to the rods, the guide mechanism would have side forces also......all things considered, this idea should perhaps be headed to the trash bin! :xzqxz::xzqxz:

PS I have not seen this idea used before, probably with good reason!

TommyJ......lol....I had a headache when I wrote that post, it got worse later!......very unconventional to say the least. but basically an >- with the shock on upper part of the > The strut rods on the bottom pulling the swing arm lever forward, and the - a stabilizing guide to keep the junction of the shock and rods from moving up/down or left and right, but only forward or backward. there would losses because of the angle of the shock to the rods, the guide mechanism would have side forces also......all things considered, this idea should perhaps be headed to the trash bin! :xzqxz::xzqxz: PS I have not seen this idea used before, probably with good reason!
I will be having another glass of wine or two, or as my wife says< Is it wineing time again...

RebelRouser

1-Merry TrikeN Christmas.jpgOK, OK, Ok... One more mock up, then the upper frame rails and upper control arm brackets, then mock again with steering, And will be on the ground at this point. Dec 30 is motorcycle swap meet, I'll be looking for twin shock and jack shaft sprockets, 3.5" and Harley 530 chain and Honda 520 chain AND...

To all of you my friends Thank You and Happy New Year... With all our trikes running in 2019

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png