2018 Tri Glide needs performance help

There has been no name calling or threats just discussion of different opinions. This is allowed without issue by the boss man. Just keep it civil and don't get personal.

I agree......

Without ''Voice Inflection'' As in the lack of in Typing or Texting' Some posts can and at times will get misunderstood/misread....Nature of the beast....

And that should be understood by ''All'' before any one takes offense to a particular post...:Shrug:

Original question

Seems like your dealer needs to fix. As Bob mentioned, that motor has more balls than the 103’s . Stock !

As far as breakin periods go, if it’s gona brake it will happen within 1k miles. All my race engines were run them like ya stole it mode. Engine builders don’t believe in the brake in thing.

Interesting subject, and there are usually just as many opinions on this as on oil. :laugh:

When I rebuild an engine I run it thru the heat cycles...similar to what's outlined by S&S. Never not done it, so don't know how the engine would run absent that.

On a new HD, I've only ever purchased one that had more than 5 miles on it. I will wait, rather than buy one that has even 20 miles on it. Forget about the ones that have even more from being test ridden.

I do believe that running it at low load and RPM, varying the rpms, for the first few hundred miles does make a difference.

BUT, I have no empirical evidence...so there ya go, just another opinion based on my experience.

Kevin

Then there are those of us who the TriGlide was our first H-D...Only thing my sales guy told me was "don't lug it".

I've built plenty of engines, mostly diesels in over-the-road trucks. My break-in was riding it home from the dealer. Took it easy the first few miles, then I was on the freeway. Vary the speed often, the deceleration is as important as the acceleration at the beginning. I think I did first oil change at 300 or so miles, waited until 3000 to put synthetic oil in. I guess it broke in OK, doesn't use oil, runs fine. What more could a guy ask? 40K miles on her now...

Then there are those of us who the TriGlide was our first H-D...Only thing my sales guy told me was "don't lug it".

I've built plenty of engines, mostly diesels in over-the-road trucks. My break-in was riding it home from the dealer. Took it easy the first few miles, then I was on the freeway. Vary the speed often, the deceleration is as important as the acceleration at the beginning. I think I did first oil change at 300 or so miles, waited until 3000 to put synthetic oil in. I guess it broke in OK, doesn't use oil, runs fine. What more could a guy ask? 40K miles on her now...

That's pretty much what I've always done. Don't beat the crap out of it for the first 50 miles. Moderate to slightly more than moderate throttle when accelerating so that their is plenty of combustion pressure to force the rings against the cylinder walls to promote seating, frequent deceleration to allow for a good flood of oil under the pistons to wash the cylinder walls clean of the particles from the rings seating. 50-500 ride it like you ride, just don't flog it. past 500 ride it like you want to ride...

It's worked well for me over the years.....JMHO

Lon

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png