Oil leak at exhaust stud never saw it before...

Fearless

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dec 10, 2013
Clarion PA USA
I don't know what is going on but I'm sure it is not good does anyone have an Idea what is happening? Could it be a head gasket or cracked head I'm completely in the dark here. Help if at all possible. Fred

DSC00759.JPGDSC00762.JPGDSC00761.JPG

I don't know what is going on but I'm sure it is not good does anyone have an Idea what is happening? Could it be a head gasket or cracked head I'm completely in the dark here. Help if at all possible. Fred

View attachment 56836View attachment 56837View attachment 56838

Looks like where my 11 Tri-Glide was was weeping oil, The cylinder head gaskets..

I never fixed it i just left it alone ,It started at around 25 thousand miles and i traded it in at 45 thousand miles, Outside of an occasional oil smell when the engine got hot it didn't cause any problems for me...But it will gunk up with road grime around the cylinder fins and make a mess...

I'm saying head gasket. Pretty easy to change but me, I'd be changing both front and rear if you going to take the time to pull the tank to change the one.

Just a note here: You could open a large can of worms here. Seeing it's an '09 I'm guessing the head/cylinder bolts have stretched. So me, I'd be changing them out....and while your at it change out the cylinder base gaskets. You could change out the bolts one at a time without pulling the cylinders but don't know you plans down the road. This whole project is based on "are you keeping the bike or getting a new one down the road"?? Pulling the cylinders means a whole lot i.e. rings and such. Or just ride it and enjoy the breeze. Maybe a slight hint of burnt oil every now and then.

Good luck,

8~\o

Thanks for all the input I have 25,150 miles on it I have owned it since 10/10/2013 start mileage for us was 7,872 miles. I am the third owner. All heat control done to the machine I have done, PV tuner, Tank lift and air deflectors thank Kevin DK Customs. Mighty Might Love Jug fans PaPa Zook. I went to visit a local independent wrench his theory is possibly valve seals are shot from heat and dried out sitting all winter I noticed a little stain at the end of last season of riding. The Indy also said it would be a good time to freshen the entire top end, most likely I will be going that way then I know what I'm dealing with. I plan on keeping it for as long I breathe, decisions... decisions... Thanks again for all comments and points to pondered... :good: ride safe Fred

Valve seals would not create an external oil leak,blue smoke at start up yes.As others have said would lean towards a head gasket.Just wondering,the rubber boot that covers the clutch cable looks as though it is resting against the cly is it possible that it has a hole in it and when you or your service guy lubes the cable oil is seeping out,I have seen stranger things happen.

Valve seals would not create an external oil leak,blue smoke at start up yes.As others have said would lean towards a head gasket.Just wondering,the rubber boot that covers the clutch cable looks as though it is resting against the cly is it possible that it has a hole in it and when you or your service guy lubes the cable oil is seeping out,I have seen stranger things happen.

I'm the service guy no It's not touching or leaking there thanks for the response Fred

Update dropped off Old Shiney the Harley Dealer service says they will take care of problem just as soon as possible hopefully this week barring rain for steam clean and test run to see exactly where it is coming from. Good dealer well recommended so I will keep updating as I get news and the verdict. :afraid:travel safe Fred

Update dropped off Old Shiney the Harley Dealer service says they will take care of problem just as soon as possible hopefully this week barring rain for steam clean and test run to see exactly where it is coming from. Good dealer well recommended so I will keep updating as I get news and the verdict. :afraid:travel safe Fred

Old Shiney will be fine Fred ... your wallet on the other hand ... add Old Shiney to the prayer list.

Thanks for all the input I have 25,150 miles on it I have owned it since 10/10/2013 start mileage for us was 7,872 miles. I am the third owner. All heat control done to the machine I have done, PV tuner, Tank lift and air deflectors thank Kevin DK Customs. Mini Might Love Jug fans PaPa Zook. I went to visit a local independent wrench his theory is possibly valve seals are shot from heat and dried out sitting all winter I noticed a little stain at the end of last season of riding. The Indy also said it would be a good time to freshen the entire top end, most likely I will be going that way then I know what I'm dealing with. I plan on keeping it for as long I breathe, decisions... decisions... Thanks again for all comments and points to pondered... :good: ride safe Fred

A refreshing at 25k ? Doesn’t make me warm n fuzzy. That’s why I got the extended warranty.

Update #1 Oil filter adapter screws into the oil cooler adapter then to the mount for everything I guess. Or so I was told and the service writer asked me if I change my own oil and I answered in the affirmative and asked if I ever checked torque on oil filter mount my answer no... possibly just possibly some of the oil making the lower part of motor oily is a loose connection, there. easy fix maybe.. No word on oil stain on lower exhaust stud. Learning experience to say the least I will not be getting a two wheel motorcycle this summer now for sure oh well I have waited 45 years now one more will not hurt me. :Shrug: DSC00763.JPG ride safe Fred

Update #2 The oil filter mount loose needs new gasket, rear rocker box also leaking small amount of oil, biggy is Stator seal seeping oil creating a real mess. Dealers tech streamed off head and cannot replicate oil stain on stud. while it is all in pieces I will be changing the front pulley to a thirty I purchased at a great discount from another member on the forum (thanks) bro. so I should be back on road by Friday. Amen!!! :D travel safe Fred

Update #2 The oil filter mount loose needs new gasket, rear rocker box also leaking small amount of oil, biggy is Stator seal seeping oil creating a real mess. Dealers tech streamed off head and cannot replicate oil stain on stud. while it is all in pieces I will be changing the front pulley to a thirty I purchased at a great discount from another member on the forum (thanks) bro. so I should be back on road by Friday. Amen!!! :D travel safe Fred

Great news Fred ... your baby will be putting along in no time.

Sounds like relatively good news! I think you're going to like the new pulley! :D

Kevin

Old Shiney was really weak pulling out almost to the point of slipping the clutch. It will be interesting to see if any other wear parts need replaced while they are in there ie compensator and or primary chain adj. possibly a new clutch the list goes on and on it is what it is at this point. Thanks for the encouragement. Fred

:mega-shock:

Update #3 Service manager says all goes well Saturday pickup let's all keep our fingers crossed going to be pricey though.. :Shrug: it is what it is. Fred

Update #4 New Castle Harley said it should be done on Saturday and they delivered! going to pick it up this morning. Pulley change and all will post complete repairs when I get back this afternoon.:yahoo: ride safe Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png