GWRRA rider education for trikes

Sep 15, 2013
Olathe Ks
I attended a GWRRA rider education class Saturday on riding a trike with a trailer. The classroom part took 4 hours while allowing plenty of time for questions and discussion. After a lunch break we went to range to do the driving portion. We ran thru many of the same exercises that are done in the MSF classes for two wheels including the zig zag around the cones, emergency braking on the straight away and in curves, tight turns, etc. What was different was backing up with a trailer and parallel parking with a trailer.

I have never parallel parked with any trailer behind any vehicle but I have now. The first time I had to pull back out and try again but got it within the box on the second shot. Not pretty but in the box. I had four more turns parallel parking which I got in the box on the first shot and each time it looked better and was easier.

It was somewhat educational but mostly a refresher from what I have learned in the classes before but it is good to hear it again. I always enjoy the range portions of these classes and this one was even more enjoyable because my co-rider attended with me and all of the weaving in and out and tight turns and braking was fun for her.

I would recommend this class to everyone. I also believe in taking refresher classes every so often. Ride safe and practice safe riding.

Attachments

• C6643676-4655-4C89-8F1D-A375208B3830.jpeg
    C6643676-4655-4C89-8F1D-A375208B3830.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 218
I took the course with him and he is exactly right in all he said. He just left out that we had 3 excellent instructors keeping us straight and that it was just a bit warm. The backing portion is very good only like most of us said if we had to parallel park we would go someplace else park and walk back. I would post a pic of my trike and trailer but you don't need to silver ones in two posts. :)

I never took the trike course BUT I did take the two wheels part of the course, I FOUND IT TO BE TOTALLY HELPFUL, and I have to admit I learned quite a lot, even after riding since I was 15 years old (I'm 68 yrs now)..... If you havn't taken that course I highly recommend, that you do take it, trust me there's much new stuff to learn...I was actually amazed on what I did learn...

Plus cheaper insurance also!

Ronnie

I never took the trike course BUT I did take the two wheels part of the course, I FOUND IT TO BE TOTALLY HELPFUL, and I have to admit I learned quite a lot, even after riding since I was 15 years old (I'm 68 yrs now)..... If you havn't taken that course I highly recommend, that you do take it, trust me there's much new stuff to learn...I was actually amazed on what I did learn...

Plus cheaper insurance also!

Ronnie

Ronnie, there's a trike course coming up at the end of June out in Sturbridge. You want the info?

I agree with the OP, parallel parking with a trailer is something I would never consider. I pull a work trailer with my jeep all summer, and have never even considered parallel parking it. First off, I'd have to feed two meters .. not gonna happen. Second, there is never two spaces together, and if there was, I could just pull straight in ... :D

I took the Trike course 2 years ago in Billings,Mo at the GWRRA rally there. It was very informative and I learned a lot about handling my trike in less than ideal positions. I highly recommend this course. Would love tho take the one with the trailer,but hard to get up here....Ken

I have a 2007 GL1800 with a Roadsmith Kit. Had Harley 2 wheelers before this so when I triked out my Honda I joined the GWRRA mainly to take this course . I live in Northwest New Jersey. After sending in my money for the course they discontinued the course in these parts, no reason given and never received my money back. I will not be renewing my GWRRA . I really would love to take the course though if anybody knows of such a course near New Jersey. Thats really good doing that with the trailer. What year wing do you have, the reverse was strong enough for that?

My wing is a 2009 and yes reverse is quite strong so it was not a problem. If you have a heavily loaded trailer and was backing uphill it might become a problem.

Sorry to hear you paid for the course and then they canceled it without and explanation and a refund of your money.

I'm interested in taking the trike riding course you did- what organization offers that in Utah? Do you have any idea?

Thanks a million-

Jim

Can't promise you they have the course but here is the contact information for the Utah GWRRA district educator. He should know and those that aren't GWRRA members those courses are available to non-members at a little higher price. GWRRA members do have priority if the classes fill up.

District Educator

Bruce Long

(801) 360-0339

bal6j607@yahoo.com

Good luck in finding a course.

I don’t know if the trike with trailer course was offered last year or not. This might be the first year that it has been offered.

Like DWATC said GWRRA members have priority when signing up for courses GWRRA put on but non members are welcome if there is room.

This paticular session there were seven or eight sign up but a couple had to cancel so there were only six that took the course at this session. I think they were going to allow ten or twelve at a cost of 25 for members and 40 for non members. Not sure if that is normal pricing or if other areas have different pricing if they have to rent class space or range space to put the course on.

Its a shame that nobody has really put together a Trike Experience Rider Course except GWAAR in some parts of the country. Their are more and more trikes on the road every year. They do a fantastic job filling the needs of the 2 wheelers , its time for us 3 wheelers!!

Ride Safe

TRC course info

Ronnie, there's a trike course coming up at the end of June out in Sturbridge. You want the info?[/QUO

Could you send me info on this, I may make the trip up there. Do you have to be a resident of Conneticut?

James Scabet Jr

I forwarded you the e-mail. Area of residence doesn't matter

jwscabet@gmail.com

I forwarded you the e-mail with the info.

TY

I tried sending you a PM

I forwarded the e-mail to you

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png