Oil from trans to primary......

There is a member on hdforums site with the username of Stonecold that has designed a fix for this & members have tested it on several M8 bikes. It involves changing a nut & seal & machining the cover. It's covered in the M8 forum in the thread "The Fix is In"

There is a member on hdforums site with the username of Stonecold that has designed a fix for this & members have tested it on several M8 bikes. It involves changing a nut & seal & machining the cover. It's covered in the M8 forum in the thread "The Fix is In"

I read that, sounds pretty positive;)

I thought so too. Excellent pictures of the fix. You would think the MoCo would buy it from him.

Yeah, but that would admit they knew they had a problem and were not smart enuff to solve it

Too bad they have high priced engineers and techs that let this slip by JMO

Reactions: MDO
I'm waiting to see if the cone shape washer and gasket that the dealer installed on my M8 Wednesday will do the trick....Only have a hundred + miles on it so far...Do i have conference that will solve the problem ,I don't and my dealer doesn't either .

I read the fix is in, And unless i missed something..And correct me if i did miss it but no one has put 5 thousand or more miles with stone-colds fix.....I would never known about mine if i did oil changes at 4 thousand miles..:Shrug:

Anyone who believes the MoCo dosnt have a real fix for this issue also believes Stormy is still a virgin.The been counters won't let them implement it.It would trigger a recall.Still might if the Fed's get involved.Know what else irks me?Mimes.Ya just wanna grab the nearest portable object and bash thire head in.Who spends valuable time left in this world practicing that crap.They should be run over with a heavy piece of construction equipment. Blood and makeup sceeching out from under the wheels of an articulated front end loader.Ahh...I feel better now and can return to my table. Yes-I'll have the espresso and croissant please.

So are you saying the "bean counters" decided it would be better to install the fake fix, vise the real fix? Would that be a cost saving move?

If your fixing someone's ride under warranty, your most cost effective move is to do it once & do it right.

I recommend skipping the espresso & making the move to decaf. :):Coffee:

I recommend skipping the espresso & making the move to decaf. :):Coffee:[/QUOTE] Maybe you should drink some turpentine. I've done business with the MoCo for over 50 years.Its not how they operate.

I hope it does not come to a terrible accident when a tranny locks up for the MOCO to fix these

Not knocking it but is that even remotely likely to happen? The tranny is lubed by oil splashed up onto the gears and bearings IIRC. So the level can drop with no real effect. I don't have a clue how low it can get before there is a chance of damage. Does anybody? Does the MOCO? I'm adopting a <grin> "What! Me worry?" attitude until then.

I would think that when it's low & no longer splashing/bathing the gears to lube & cool them, the friction would build up an excessive amount of heat that could not be good.

Not knocking it but is that even remotely likely to happen? The tranny is lubed by oil splashed up onto the gears and bearings IIRC. So the level can drop with no real effect. I don't have a clue how low it can get before there is a chance of damage. Does anybody? Does the MOCO? I'm adopting a <grin> "What! Me worry?" attitude until then.

The transmission depends on a splash true, once the gears cannot pick up enuff lube bad Ju Ju

I know in the old days the 4 speeds were pretty primitive , you could run a couple hundred miles before the tranny would grenade

I am saying and this may be a BIG if, What happens when a new to Harley's does not check the fluid?

Is Harley going to tell everyone to check their fluid every couple hundred or 1 thousand miles?

I have ridden a lot of miles with NO catastrophic tranny problem YET

The key word here is yet

I aint preaching gloom and doom, I just want HD to fix this

WE should NOT have to check and or top off the fluid every so many miles JMO

The transmission depends on a splash true, once the gears cannot pick up enuff lube bad Ju Ju

I know in the old days the 4 speeds were pretty primitive , you could run a couple hundred miles before the tranny would grenade

I am saying and this may be a BIG if, What happens when a new to Harley's does not check the fluid?

Is Harley going to tell everyone to check their fluid every couple hundred or 1 thousand miles?

The key word here is yet

And if someone doesn't realize where the trans fluid is going ,And keeps on adding [toping off] Thats where the serious damaged can occur...

I keep a close eye on my fluids out of habit

I don't want to have to check my fluid every time I gas up like some are doing right now, there is NO good reason these bikes are transferring gear oil , none of my past bikes ever did. I am so anal I measure what comes out during fluid changes, SOOOOO Hd cannot tell me I am wrong, I will document this when mine starts to transfer

IMO, with the money all have spent on the NEW M8 platform, I feel we should not have to be subject to tests by the MOCO for a non fix to date. JMO

( I have seen damaged bearings, seals and shifter forks from the wrong type of lube, never mind being low on lube) If the gears spinning cannot pick up enuff lube guess what is going to happen

The proper amount of lube in the tranny will also help transfer heat from critical parts

These are my own thoughts here, not supported by nuthin but what I see in real time

I have a 2016 Tri-Glde and here is my story.

1st time at 10,000 mile oil change mechanic put red=line oil in my primary case

2nd time 20,000 mile warranty clutch seal is bad

3rd time 800 miles later transmission dip stick is on add.

Guess where I am going tomorrow?

Good Luck, keep all documents and let us know what happens;)

The key word here is yet

I agree. My questions are "how low can you go" <g> and "how long would it take to reach that point?". IOW, if I check/change the oil every 5000 miles, would the level ever drop to the point of causing damage?

I agree. My questions are "how low can you go" <g> and "how long would it take to reach that point?". IOW, if I check/change the oil every 5000 miles, would the level ever drop to the point of causing damage?

It varies , When i first notice it went below the dip stick at 45 hundred miles , The second time it went below at 9 hundred miles.. I only have about 150 miles since the [Wink-Wink] fix.....And it hasn't dropped, Yet.......How long can you go before any trans damage...Thats anyones guess...

Don't know about these new fangled 6 speeds.But I know of a certain moron that changed all the fluids on his '76 Superglide and forgot to refill the tranny.I- um he, didn't realise it till returning back to the garage and seeing the drain plug laying on the oil drain pan.Rode just over a 100 miles that day.Boy what a dummy.Oh- that tranny is still in service.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png