Blown Fork Seals - Anti-Dive Mechanisum

Apr 27, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
I am just about ready to change out a blown fork seal on the right side.

In reading what I have been able to find, it appears that the anti dive mechanism that is mounted on the left side of the slider has been an issue and was wondering if there is a fix. I have read somewhere that by putting a spacer in between the bottom housing and the top plunger can sort this out.

Came across this link as a possible fiX! https://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1800-GOL...-fork-seals-/282071147541?hash=item41acc02415

Then again, I have read that one shouldn't put a spacer in place..

Any comments?

I am just about ready to change out a blown fork seal on the right side.

In reading what I have been able to find, it appears that the anti dive mechanism that is mounted on the left side of the slider has been an issue and was wondering if there is a fix. I have read somewhere that by putting a spacer in between the bottom housing and the top plunger can sort this out.

Came across this link as a possible fiX! https://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1800-GOL...-fork-seals-/282071147541?hash=item41acc02415

Then again, I have read that one shouldn't put a spacer in place..

Any comments?

Honda's poor front suspension design has caused plenty of grief since day one. I have heard of guys putting a slug inside the anti-dive actuator and also the spacer you show. I did try that one but it didn't seem to totally kill the action. When I converted my 2015 with the Roadsmith HTS1800 kit part of that process was to install a short strap to defeat the anti-dive. It seems to work so you might want to investigate that direction. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Ditto what Jerry GoldRush said. I was plagued with blown fork seal untils I did the 'fix'. No problem since and that's been a couple years, I guess it works.

And what was the fix?

I am no engineer so will not tell anyone it is OK to modify their brakes the way Roadsmith HTS1800 kit instructions told me to when I converted my '15 GL1800 in December 2015. They have changed how that portion is done so I expect there may be other changes as well. Give Roadsmith tech guys a call at 1-800-331-0705 and ask the questions. :xszpv: :xszpv:

There is a spacer for sale that will keep the antidive plunger from working. HOWEVER, it is recommended that you change to stronger springs so the front end doesn't dive excessively in hard braking.

A good mechanic can service both forks with new bushings and seals, install new springs. That is the cheapest way to improve the front end. Personally, I would use linear springs and not progressively wound springs.

I have the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges, Traxxion 1.1 springs (heavy load), and Traxxion fork brace. It's expensive but if you're going to keep the trike a long time it is worth it to me.

I made a spacer out of pvc pipe and bought a couple longer bolts. I rode my 1800 DFT many miles with the spacer and stock springs with no problems. Some people use a nickel with a hole drilled in it for the spacer

I made a spacer out of pvc pipe and bought a couple longer bolts. I rode my 1800 DFT many miles with the spacer and stock springs with no problems. Some people use a nickel with a hole drilled in it for the spacer

So .... what would be the currency difference between a nickel in the US and the Canadian equivalent ?

So .... what would be the currency difference between a nickel in the US and the Canadian equivalent ?

That’s Easy. US Nicole is worth 5 cents, while the Canadian nickel is worth 3.5cents. This may sound funny, but the Canadian Nicole is 99.9% Nicole while the US nickel is nickel and copper.:xzqxz:

I also totally agree with Gold Rush.

I've also used the drilled hole in the nickel trick, but apparently,, it wasn't t soon enough and I ended up with a small leak. Early in the year, I went ahead and pulled both forks down and completely rebuilt them with all new parts; sliders, seals, fluid, etc. Per Zook's suggestion, I used a brand new pair of stock GW springs rather than Progressives. The ride quality is amazing compared to what it was. And Zook was right: for a trike application, the stock springs work better than progressives. Thanks, Randy. :)

lgjhn, your comment, yes, that was my experience as well, except I had the Traction stiff springs, they were way too stiff and high sprung. My friend and I tore it all down to ensure we had done the proper install, everything was as the instructions called for. Traction is a very good product I'm sure, just didn't work for me, so I installed new Honda OEM springs. That was 5 years ago, no problems with the OEM springs and spacer.

I used a brand new pair of stock GW springs rather than Progressives. The ride quality is amazing compared to what it was. And Zook was right: for a trike application, the stock springs work better than progressives. :)

IMHO, fresh OEM springs are better than most after market, for 2 wheelers and trikes!!!!

Also, IMO, servicing the ADV, to insure it works properly, is better than disabling it. It's there for a reason.

lgjhn, your comment, yes, that was my experience as well, except I had the Traction stiff springs, they were way too stiff and high sprung. My friend and I tore it all down to ensure we had done the proper install, everything was as the instructions called for. Traction is a very good product I'm sure, just didn't work for me, so I installed new Honda OEM springs. That was 5 years ago, no problems with the OEM springs and spacer.

Do you mean Traxxion????

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png