'96 GL1500a brake/clutch fluid

Ol' Man Jeb

1750+ Posts
Sep 8, 2013
Bettendorf, Ia
Trying to get my 96 Gl1500A MotorTrike road worthy and discovered my clutch/brake fluid is milky colored. I would like to bleed and replace fluid. Someone mentioned speed bleeders. How many would I need?

Jeb, I don't use them myself but if you are looking at bleeding the brakes and clutch yourself, you need one for each rear wheel, and if you still have a link running to the front wheel, you need one for the left front caliper.

The location of the clutch slave bleeder is within reach while operating the clutch lever, so you might not need a bleeder there.

clutch bleeder is notorious for clogging or stopping up though.

If you have a vacuum bleeder or turkey baster, drain the fluid from the reservoir and add new DOT3 or DOT4 so that you will see the clean fluid when the system is flushed.

Jeb, I don't use them myself but if you are looking at bleeding the brakes and clutch yourself, you need one for each rear wheel, and if you still have a link running to the front wheel, you need one for the left front caliper.

The location of the clutch slave bleeder is within reach while operating the clutch lever, so you might not need a bleeder there.

clutch bleeder is notorious for clogging or stopping up though.

If you have a vacuum bleeder or turkey baster, drain the fluid from the reservoir and add new DOT3 or DOT4 so that you will see the clean fluid when the system is flushed.

Thank you for the come back, and here we go

You may want to use a lint free cloth and wipe out the inside of your master cylinder to get that milky sludge out

Typically milky white fluid has a high level of moisture, this can be bad JU JU for aluminum cylinder bores and rubber parts;)

Also, while you're bleeding do not let the master cylinder get so low that it sucks air into the system or you will be staring over from scratch.

I also believe there is a bleeder on the right front brake caliper that needs to be bled if the brakes are not linked. (There is on my 1800)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png