**psi in rear tires...who is right? You guys or the trike mfg tech??**

Reading that article from Leman and saw this what in the world makes any different between California and the rest of the USA on this :LordHelp:

MOUNTING TIRE TO WHEEL:

Use of power operated tire mounting equipment should be avoided. In order not to mar or damage the wheel. Do not over-pressurize to seat the tire bead. Do not exceed 50 psi (40 psi in California).

Reading that article from Leman and saw this what in the world makes any different between California and the rest of the USA on this :LordHelp:

MOUNTING TIRE TO WHEEL:

Use of power operated tire mounting equipment should be avoided. In order not to mar or damage the wheel. Do not over-pressurize to seat the tire bead. Do not exceed 50 psi (40 psi in California).

California has too much human occurring methane in the air, Hence the lower PSI....;)

MOUNTING TIRE TO WHEEL:

The PSI bead seating has been labeled on Coats tire equipment for years now

There has been problems with tires blowing off the wheels, we had a training video at 1 time showing the horrible side of this, it no longer is available;)

I know with split rims we would cage them ����

Yup, tho the tire manufactures have seen sooooo many accidents that they now want no more than 50 PSI to seat the beads. We had to some times re mount tires and try over and over. Firestone and Bridgstones had tougher side walls and beads

All our tire machines had BIG red stickers on them warning of the dangers of higher PSI

As a side note we had to some times when no one was looking in we explosive mounted some of the beads Wink Wink:p

Yup, tho the tire manufactures have seen sooooo many accidents that they now want no more than 50 PSI to seat the beads. We had to some times re mount tires and try over and over. Firestone and Bridgstones had tougher side walls and beads

All our tire machines had BIG red stickers on them warning of the dangers of higher PSI

As a side note we had to some times when no one was looking in we explosive mounted some of the beads Wink Wink:p

Yep....:blowup:Starting fluid .......

LOL YUP:laugh:

When we had the first ATC's, We would eat up tires on a regular basis..

And to break the bead we would [Caveman Style] lay the tire on the ground and run our n9 tractor on the tire as close to the rim as possible ...And being the n9 front tires were narrow it would pop the bead..Then we would patch the tire from the inside, Then to set the bead racket-strap the tire around the treads tight and hit it quick with our 150lb compressor, no valve core.

So as soon as it popped [And popped it did] you can take the pressure off immediately...

And nomatter how many time i did it when the bead set, I would have to change my underwear... Young and stupid that we were......:xzqxz:

I still have my bead breaker wedges and tire irons

I bet the younger crowd has never changed a tire on a wheel the old way like we have;)

KEN32126.jpg

We do not all ride solid axles, a majority rides IRS. The opinions here have been formed over the years from thousands of trike owners, riding many thousands of miles on every make, model and brand of trike and sharing that information. The best ride is going to be in the low to mid 20s of rear tire pressure. This pressure is perfectly safe and better suited in every way. Read this article from Lehman, it backs this up:

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/assets/docs/uploads/Manuals/techbook-master.pdf

This is an old comment, but seems I just discovered it, good info Zook, thanks for sharing. I need to re-evalute the psi in my rear tires. Lots of opinions, some post their ride, some don't, I like to see what others are riding.

I’ve intentionally stayed swayed from this one as I’m probably going to ruffle some feathers. I’ve drink a double helping of the old factory Kool-Aid. I run the recommended psi in both from & rear with the front tire on the front and the rear tire(s) behind me and the arrow (direction of rotation) pointing in the correct direction.

....... just something I’ve always done, and served me well.

OK, I'm hearing two different ideas here...

I have a GL1500 with a DFT Kit, everyone here says run 25 PSI in the rear.

The DFT Tech/Builder says you guys run 25 PSI because all of you have SOLID AXLES

The DFT Kit has IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) and that I should run 30-32

I pumped mine up to 30 but actually FELT better at 25...

Who if anyone is right and why? Your thoughts?? Thanks!

If you rear tires are car tires like mine. You do not need to run full weight in the tires. If they are on a car yes. Since you trike does not weigh near as much as a car, you need less air. I run 26 lbs in my rear tires and they wear perfectly. I am only on my second set after 66K miles and they are no where near worn.

Some automotive manufacturers recommend tire pressures as low as 26-28 for better ride. Early Honda CRV, and Ford Explorer just to name a few. A trike doesn’t weigh nearly what a small SUV does.

Some automotive manufacturers recommend tire pressures as low as 26-28 for better ride. Early Honda CRV, and Ford Explorer just to name a few. A trike doesn’t weigh nearly what a small SUV does.

Yep.....And that recommendation, Put Firestone and the Explorer almost out of business!

And thats why tire pressure monitoring system's [TPMS] are required on new cars...

Exactly, Ford’s tire pressure was so low, and of course not many people actually check their pressure. It wasn’t long before tires were below 20 in a 4000lb vehicle

Yep.....And that recommendation, Put Firestone and the Explorer almost out of business!

And thats why tire pressure monitoring system's [TPMS] are required on new cars...

The only way Ford could get the soft ride they wanted was to lower the PSI spec

Firestone knew this and played ball until lawsuits piled up

It was too late then, Firestone rolled over but not before their own reputation was damaged

I never bought into that crazy low PSI for such a heavy SUV and I did warn customers of my opinion, it mostly fell on deaf ears at that time

If you rear tires are car tires like mine. You do not need to run full weight in the tires. If they are on a car yes. Since you trike does not weigh near as much as a car, you need less air. I run 26 lbs in my rear tires and they wear perfectly. I am only on my second set after 66K miles and they are no where near worn.

Come On Jack with the title of this Threads subject line being https://www.triketalk.com/forum/thr...ho-is-right-You-guys-or-the-trike-mfg-tech-**

its pretty obvious we’re talking about trikes and not automobiles. My whole point in my post was that I follow the manufactures recommendations.

So, does the question becomes, since they are 'car tires' with manufacturer's recommendation based a 3K vehicle with four wheels with maybe three or four people and cargo of weight, become a bit skewed for trikes? Think I prefer the trike builder's recommendation.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png