DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

Day 19 continued-

This is a big place...

11-big%20place.jpg

Another view, looking across at the North rim, you can't see it in this photograph, but there are cars parked along that northern rim across the way.

12-looking%20across%20to%20the%20north%20rim.jpg

A couple of pics...

13-2%20of%20us.jpg

...of the two of us.

14-2%20of%20us%20again.jpg

Photo's do not do this place justice.

15-pics%20dont%20do%20justice.jpg

We're now across the way, on the North Rim...

16-north%20rim.jpg

...did I already say, this place is huge!

17-North%20Rim.jpg

Back rolling now, headed toward the North East entrance.* About 2 hours of very scenic riding!

18-back%20rolling%20toward%20NE%20Entrance.jpg

Climbing at a pretty good rate, back up where there's some snow.

19-climbing%20pretty%20good.jpg

What a perfect riding day!

20-beautiful%20day.jpg

​​​​​​​Will finish up Day 19 soon as time allows.

Kevin

You guys get married again??? The clouds behind Mary's head look like a veil. At least I think it's clouds, not sure, looks like it hangs down in her face. Interesting affect.

Edit: My bad, it's her hair coming out of her scarf. Clouds came to mind because I know she love her some clouds.

hehe, yeah wind was blowing her hair.

Kevin

Day 19 continued-

This morning I knew it was going to be "one of those days".* Absolutely beautiful...

21-beautiful%20day.jpg

...and excellent riding!

22-fantastic%20riding.jpg

We stopped at Tower Falls, walked around, grabbed some photos.

23-stopped%20at%20Tower%20Falls.jpg

Back rolling...

24-wow.jpg

...with great & varied views everywhere.

25-Picture%20Perfect%20views%20everywhere.jpg

Came upon a mama bear and her 2 cubs.* This first shot is from about 100 yards away, with one of the cubs climbing down a tree.

26-%20100%20yards.jpg

These next two shots show all three of them and were taken about 75 yards away...

27-mama%202%20cubs.jpg

...cute, but only from this distance and with the engine running.* lol

28-mama%202%20cubs.jpg

On down the road...

29-yellowstone%20river.jpg

...as we cross over the Yellowstone River, we are getting closer to the end of our 3 days in Yellowstone.

30-yellowstone%20river.jpg

​​​​​​​

Great photo Mary got while rolling at 45 mph.* Dunno how she does it, but she is great at getting photos while on the move.

31-while%20rolling.jpg

​​​​​​​Day 19 concluded in the next post.

Kevin

Day 19 concluded-

A look back as we're rolling.

32-a%20look%20back.jpg

We've been traveling toward that snow for a while now...it is finally getting closer...it was little more than a dot when we first saw it.

34-getting%20closer.jpg

Wow, Mary saw this deer before I did, let me know, I slowed way down and moved over, in case it did one of those crazy things that deer do, like jump out right in front of me. Nope it just stared and did not move.

34-great%20eye.jpg

Leaving Yellowstone, headed toward Cooke City for the night.

35-leaving%20the%20park.jpg

"The Coolest Small Town In America".

36-home%20for%20tonight.jpg

This is the view from the porch outside our motel room door.

37-view%20from%20porch.jpg

After we unpacked, we tootled around for a bit. Stopped at this General Store that's been there since 1886-

38-since%201886.jpg

Rode about 5 miles outside of town, saw this critter chomping down on dinner, then went off into the woods by the time we took this photo.

39-critter.jpg

Photo on a little gravel road outside of town, looking back toward Cooke City.

40-Outside%20Cooke%20City.jpg

Tomorrow we head across Beartooth Pass!!!!

Kevin

Kevin thank you as always for great photo's by the famous Mary. Go back and look at the bear pictures there are "3" cubs and the mother.

As always ... Mary makes you look good ... of course ... you do all the editing. All kidding aside, Yellowstone on a bike/trike is high on my list of to do's. Great photos.

hahaha, yeah. You'll enjoy for sure.

WOW, What a Great Ride ThumbUpThumbUp

Thanks!

As usual, Mary's eye for good pictures is like being there! Awesome!

Yes, she does a great job. I was looking at some pics from our Alaska trip the other day...really brought back some good memories!

Awesome pictures, I would probably crash from looking so much whilst riding:p

Lol, I know what you mean. When I look at the pics I see stuff that I never saw when riding...and keeping us on the road. :)

Absolutely beautiful thank you and Mary for sharing please travel safely Fred

Glad you're enjoying, and thank you!

Kevin thank you as always for great photo's by the famous Mary. Go back and look at the bear pictures there are "3" cubs and the mother.

Thank you, glad you're enjoying.

When you wrote 3 cubs, I thought "really?". Went and looked at the photo...sure enough, 3 of them. Did not notice that at all when seeing them in real life. Then I went and asked Mary, "how many cubs were with the mama bear?". Three was her answer...she had seen them all.

:laugh:

Kevin

Day 20-

Today we're riding Beartooth Pass and going to spend the night in Red Lodge. Beartooth became Mary's favorite road (and in my top 10) when we first rode it, many trips ago. Fortunately is is between where we live and where our granddaughter lives, so we ride it pretty regularly.

Getting ready to pull out of Cooke City-

1-Leaving%20out.jpg

Not far out of Cooke City we start climbing.

2-Climbing%20toward.jpg

A sign letting me know that the fun riding road is ahead!!!

3-Fun%20road%20ahead.jpg

Oh yeah! Hard to beat the scenery and the curvy road!

4-oh%20yeah.jpg

In this pic you can see the curve we're in, and another nice one, way up ahead...plus you can see a bit of snow on the mountainside...but there are even several more curves between us and the one ahead!

5-some%20of%20curves.jpg

What a fun road....and we're getting closer to all the snow!

6-getting%20closer.jpg

Pic as we're rolling past Beartooth Butte and Lake.

7-Beartooth%20Butte%20and%20Lake.jpg

"Top of the World" is a little stop with a C-Store, motel and campground. It's at 9400 feet elevation. We've never stayed there, but it's on our to do list in the future.

8-Top%20of%20the%20world.jpg

The snow is starting to melt....

9-starting%20to%20melt.jpg

...but still has a ways to go. Absolutely beautiful country, so glad there is a road thru it!

10-long%20ways%20to%20go.jpg

More of Beartooth as time allows.

Kevin

Day 20 continued-

Passing a lake that is still frozen over...

11-frozen%20lake.jpg

...sky's looking like snow ahead...

12-Looks%20like%20snow%20ahead.jpg

...another lake that is still frozen over...barely starting to melt thru...

14-another%20frozen%20lake.jpg

...we've been up here before when it has snowed on us, but today it is colder and windier than other times.* Tomorrow they are saying the snow will be so heavy that travel is not advised.

But for today we're enjoying the ride and the amazing sights!

15-fun%20road%20more%20snow.jpg

A look to the left- down below you can barely see the road we've just traveled.

16-a%20look%20to%20left%20%20road%20we%20came%20up.jpg

We are starting to get to the really fun part of the road!

17-getting%20more%20fun.jpg

Fantastic views everywhere-A look back.

18-a%20look%20back.jpg

Still looking like snow ahead.

19-cold%20fun%20looking%20like%20snow%20still.jpg

Fun Ahead Sign!

20-Fun%20Sign.jpg

​​​​​​​More of Beartooth in next post.

Kevin

Day 20 continued-

See that water/ice on the road? Gotta be careful of that stuff, even on 3 wheels.

21-see%20the%20water%20ice%20on%20road.jpg

Wow, a Wall of Snow!

22-Wall%20of%20snow.jpg

Looking to the right, what an amazing view!

23-A%20look%20to%20the%20right.jpg

This is just a fun road, anyway you look at it. Easy to understand why it is Mary's favorite road in North America.

24-Fun%20road.jpg

Looking down and to the right at the road we just traveled up to the switchback, and then the scenic backdrop.

25-to%20the%20right%20switchback.jpg

Now we're starting to get into the really fun stuff! (starting to see a little blue sky every now and then too)

26-Oh%20Yeah.jpg

Had to stop and change batteries in the camera and video cam.

27-Stopped%20for%20battery%20change.jpg

It is cold and windy up here. You can see the lever tassels being blown back as if we're headed down the road at 25-30 mph. I don't even want to think about what it would feel like without the electric jackets.

28-cold%20and%20windy.jpg

What!?!?!? We've never seen the snow piled this high before. Might be normal for the folks up north, but for us this is just crazy!

30-A%20look%20back.jpg

Another perspective-

29-Tall.jpg

More of Day 20 as time allows.

Kevin

Kevin, that's a bunch of snow on the Beartooth. I've ridden it several times (once in a heavy snowstorm!) but I've not seen snow that high alongside the roadway before. Must have had a heckuva winter up there.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png