DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

What year is your trike and is that your first Triglide?

As Fuzzy mentioned. Our first was a 2011, which were very happy with. But we were offered a trade-in on a 2014 that was a great deal. We've also been very happy with the 2014.

The 2011 had 55,000 miles on it when we traded, and the 2014 has a bit over 50,000 miles on it now.

We've done a lot of memorable trips on it, most of the Ride Reports are posted here on the forum. Here is a link to our trip up to Alaska and back on the 2011.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/16991-Ride-Report-Mississippi-to-Alaska-amp-Back-Pic-Heavy

Here is a video snippet of our ride to Bella Coola on the 2014.

Kevin currently has a 2014, but, I believe his last one was a 2011.

Yep, and on the 2011 we removed the lowers.

Kevin

Day 7 Concluded-

After we checked into the newly renovated Triangle Motel, we cruised around town a bit.

Passenger Train Ticket office...

30-Silverton%20Train%20Depot.jpg

...or a Stage Coach if you prefer.

31-Just%20Horsin%20around.jpg

The Triangle Motel looks like a preferred place to stay for the night.

32-Silverton%20Jail.jpg

We rode out the opposite end of town from where we entered, up into the mountains a few miles....stopped when the asphalt ended.

Beautiful, and a mine every now and then....that's what Silverton was founded on, well over 100 years ago, mining.

We saw this little guy on the way up, and now on the way back down he is still there, so we stopped for a few photo's. He posed at all different angles for us...

33%20Outside%20of%20town.jpg

...Mary said this was his best side. lol

34-Closeup.jpg

Coming back into town from the mountains.

35%20Almost%20back%20in%20town.jpg

On the Main Drag.

36-Main%20Drag.jpg

Stopped here for supper...sorry to say, was not very good.

37-Dinner.jpg

I TOLD You I was Sick! lol

38-I%20told%20you.jpg

That's it for today. Tomorrow we ride the rest of the Million Dollar Highway up to Ouray.

Kevin

You look like you are having WAY too much fun

Travel safe and thanks for the great pics and narration ;)

Yes, we're having some fun!!! Glad you're enjoying.

Don't forget to visit the worlds highest H-D Store 9318 feet.

Yeah, we stopped there. Got some chips for all the DK Team...but did not take any pics! :xzqxz:

Silverton must be a great place to visit thank you for the tour and the ride. :good: please Travel safe Fred

Yes, last time we were there we spent several hours in their huge museum....see Ride Report from 2 years ago. This time we spent time around town. Lots of history here.

Thank you.

Kevin

Day 8 Part I-

Today we are headed to Ouray. It is a whopping 24 miles. This has to be the shortest day of riding yet on any trip we've taken. I ride more than that just to work and back. lol

But we wanted to stay in Silverton, and we also wanted to meet Fuzzy for the day in Ouray.

BUT, that 24 miles from Silverton to Ouray are stunning!

Tail of the Dragon is only 11 miles long, but people come from around the world to ride it. The entire Million Dollar Highway is great, but the last 24 miles to Ouray are on par with Tail of the Dragon in terms of "must do". Some people may race on it like the Dragon, but with drop-offs of thousands of feet, probably most do not. But it has a lot of nice curves and incredible views!

So, here we go...

The motel we stayed in had ethanol free gas!

1-Gas%20at%20motel.jpg

Before leaving, we decided to head for the hills, out the back side of Silverton....

2-Up%20into%20hills.jpg

...absolutely perfect day for riding.

3-Out%20of%20town.jpg

Got to the end of the asphalt again, thought about it, but did not want to get dusty...plus we had ants in our pants to get on the MDH.

4-Thought%20about%20it.jpg

Saw this little waterfall feeding into the river on our way back.

5-little%20waterfall.jpg

Main drag in Silverton.

6-Main%20Drag%20as%20we%20leave.jpg

We really enjoyed our time here.

7-Enjoyed%20our%20day%20here.jpg

On our way, watching for wildlife!

8-Long%20ride%20lol.jpg

This is a fun road...

9-Fun%20road.jpg

...Curves, blue sky, clouds for Mary, snow on the mountains, 70 degrees....a Perfect Day.

10-Perfect%20Day.jpg

More in next post.

Kevin

Day 8 Part I Continued-

Mary with her acrobatic photo taking.* Fantastic view!

11-amazing%20views.jpg

Climbing, curvy road, thankfully very little traffic.**

12-Curving%20roads.jpg

A look back...

13-look%20back%201.jpg

...and another...

14-Look%20Back%202.jpg

...AND Another...

15-Look%20Back%203.jpg

...And One More.

16-look%20back%204.jpg

Fantastic Riding Combo...along side a stream, recent snow, breathtaking views, and don't miss the curves on the left side of the photo. Four Star!

17-stream%20snow%20view%20curves.jpg

Can you count how many curves in this photo?* I'm seeing 6 of them.

18-count%20curves%206.jpg

A closer look at a few of them.

19-oh%20yeah.jpg

How about this one?* I'm seeing 10.

20-what%20about%20this%20one%2010.jpg

​​​​​​​Day 8 to be continued soon.

Kevin

WOW! You two are riding through some amazing scenery! And that road looks like a blast to ride!!!

Yes!!!!

Yeppers .... that is an amazing road to ride ... the views ... the wildlife ... the curves ... the critters ... the, well, you get the idea.

The most amazing thing about the fact Kevin and Mary like that road ... They get close to me and I get to see them ... :D

Fuzzy, I think you may be a little spoiled with all the great riding near where you live! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Kevin

Day 8 Part II-

It's hard to beat the riding on this road...

21-Hard%20to%20beat.jpg

...Between the scenery and the "Fun Ahead" signs...

22-Fun%20ahead.jpg

...it's another perfect day of riding!

23-Beautiful.jpg

Remember that sign at the beginning of the road out of Silverton?

Here are a couple that started crossing the road in front of us....we slowed way down, they got back on the side of the road and posed for a pic from Mary.

24-Remember%20that%20sign.jpg

This road just begs to be ridden...

25-Great%20riding.jpg

...now we're getting to the serious canyon riding section.* At this point it's a few hundred feet down from the road...

26-serious%20canyon%20riding.jpg

...up ahead it's quite a bit deeper.* A very nice combination of twisties and curves.

27-long%20way%20down.jpg

It's quite a ways up from the road too!* Don't know if you can see the waterfall?/stream? coming down the the middle of the photo.

28-Long%20way%20up%20waterfall.jpg

A small view of a huge canyon with a road cut in the side.

29-Thats%20road.jpg

There are very few guardrails, narrow road, and a long ways down.* Gotta pay attention!

30-no%20guardrails.jpg

Part II continued in next post.

Kevin

Day 8 Concluded-

This canyon that the Million Dollar Highway is cut thru is Massive. This is just one few from the trike looking up the side. Wow!

31-Massive%20Canyon.jpg

We stopped at this waterfall, that flows Under the road....we are getting close to Ouray.

32-Stopped%20at%20waterfall.jpg

Mary on a walkway that extends out over the canyon.

33-overlook%20at%20waterfall.jpg

Back on the curving road...

34-continuing%20down%20curving%20road.jpg

...the riding and the views are just spectacular!

35-Spectacular.jpg

The photos just don't do it justice. It's difficult to understand without riding it. We are Very happy we included this road on our list of "must do again".

36-hard%20to%20understand%20without%20riding.jpg

The "Main Drag" in Ouray.

37-Main%20Drag%20Ouray.jpg

Having a little snack at the Rivers Edge Motel where we're staying...thinking about the amazing road we just traveled.

38-At%20Rivers%20Edge.jpg

The river is just 20 yards from the door to our room.

39-View%2015%20yards%20from%20our%20door.jpg

Later that evening we had dinner on the Rooftop of the Ouray Brewery. This is one of the views we had while eating.

40-view%20from%20where%20we%20had%20dinner.jpg

Tomorrow we visit with Fuzzy, and then head out to Woodland Park!

Kevin

Great photos Kevin. Give Mary my thanks for a superb job! Love the MDH, Sivlerton and Ouray. Been there several times and want to go back. If you're so inclined and have the time just up the road a bit is this: http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

This is owned by the guy who started the Discovery Channel and he has a phenomenal collection of vehicles - even some motorcycles!

Great photos Kevin. Give Mary my thanks for a superb job! Love the MDH, Sivlerton and Ouray. Been there several times and want to go back. If you're so inclined and have the time just up the road a bit is this: http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

This is owned by the guy who started the Discovery Channel and he has a phenomenal collection of vehicles - even some motorcycles!

Thank you, will tell her. Glad you're enjoying. Yes, Fuzzy pointed us in that direction a few years ago. No time this trip though.

Awesome pictures & ride report Kevin. Tell Mary many thanks.:Dorag:

Glad you're enjoying, will tell her.

Kevin and Mary, amazing pictures of your trip! Awesome country to be riding through! I love looking at Mary's pictures. They almost make it look we are riding along.

Enjoy your visit with Fuzzy tomorrow!

Thank you, glad you're enjoying.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png