DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

Day 12 Continued-

These couple of pics of this curve give an idea...

61-Another%20Curves%20gives%20idea.jpg

...of how sharp and at an angle they are.* The TG's eat them up, but you can see a cage has a bit of a time with them.

62-of%20how%20sharp.jpg

We're climbing higher and...

63-climbing%20higher.jpg

...the views are absolutely amazing!

64-stuning%20see%20road.jpg

The pics from just today are already so many....the ride up was full of scenic views and great riding...but skipping ahead, here we are arriving at the summit....

65-arriving%20at%20summit.jpg

...which is also the Continental Divide.

66-at%20Summit%20Continental%20Divide.jpg

Playing in the snow, and, yes, I got her right in the leg a split second after this photo.* lol

67-playing%20in%20snow.jpg

Headed down the other side, just as spectacular views...

68-headed%20down%20now.jpg

...and still a lot of snow in places.

69-still%20a%20lot%20of%20snow%20in%20places.jpg

A look back!

70-a%20look%20back.jpg

More on day 12 as time allows.

Kevin

thoroughly enjoying your ride with you. Been to many of the places in various 4 wheelersand a couple on a 2 wheeler. Someday maybe a 3 wheeler. Enjoy your trip and keep the pictures coming....tks

4 yrs ago a couple of friends and I rode a lot of the roads you’ve been on. Of all the places I’ve ridden Colorado is at the top of my list to go back to. By the way your picture taker is doing a fine job! You guys have fun and be safe! And keep the pics coming.

Oh by the way your missing all the fun back home,it was 111 heat index here today and I’m about 200 miles north of your house. Probably even warmer in Mississippi!

Awesome photos Kevin! You and Mary got a lot of trikers riding along with you.

Cool! Glad you're enjoying, much more to come!

thoroughly enjoying your ride with you. Been to many of the places in various 4 wheelersand a couple on a 2 wheeler. Someday maybe a 3 wheeler. Enjoy your trip and keep the pictures coming....tks

Yes, I think you'll like them on a 3 wheeler...far more relaxed ride than a 2 wheeler, but still outside of the cage.

Thank you. Yes, much more to come!

4 yrs ago a couple of friends and I rode a lot of the roads you’ve been on. Of all the places I’ve ridden Colorado is at the top of my list to go back to. By the way your picture taker is doing a fine job! You guys have fun and be safe! And keep the pics coming.

Oh by the way your missing all the fun back home,it was 111 heat index here today and I’m about 200 miles north of your house. Probably even warmer in Mississippi!

So you know...Colorado is a gold mine of great riding and views!

I agree, could not ask for a better riding partner or picture taker!!! Lots more to come.

Nah, not missing that heat. lol

Kevin

Day 12, wrapping it up-

What an epic day of riding and scenic views! I am not sure...

71-Might%20never%20get%20work%20done.jpg

...I would ever get any work done if I lived in Colorado! The riding and the views are fantastic!

72-Nope%20probably%20not.jpg

Well, actually, I am pretty sure that I wouldn't get a lot done. haha

73-riding%20and%20views.jpg

As we roll down the back side of Independence pass, getting closer to the bottom, the road continues to narrow...

74-Road%20narrowing.jpg

...getting very comfy, not even a center line. This is a small cage and a TG, imagine two trucks!!!

75%20Real%20narrow%20imagine%20two%20big%20trucks.jpg

We're rolling flat now...headed toward Glenwood Springs for the night. This is just one of a thousand views, seen at 60 mph.

76-one%20of%20a%20thousand%20at%2060%20mph.jpg

The TG is running great. I'm liking this new tune I got from Fuzzy. That's an average of almost 42 mpg over the last 120 miles. Which included a bunch of miles at 70 mph, climbing up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, then rolling thru Leadville, then climbing and descending Independence Pass.

77-running%20great.jpg

Riding thru the uppity town of Aspen, Colorado.

78-Riding%20thru%20Aspen.jpg

Day 12 concluded in the next post.

Kevin

I feal like I am right there with you and Mary on this trip with the great pics

However I am offended by the SNOW Just kidding, look forward to the next pics and write up;)

Reactions: MDO
Day 12 Conclusion-

Manufactured snow in Aspen-

79%20Mfg%20snow%20in%20Aspen.jpg

Shadow pic as we're rolling toward Glenwood Springs on the 82.

80-shadow%20pic%20on%20way%20to%20Glenwood%20Springs.jpg

Wow, I'm liking this tune more and more.* At 154 miles now, rolling between 65-70 mph and MPG is still going up!

81-Fantastic%20Tune.jpg

A look back...

82-a%20look%20back.jpg

A look to the side...

83-a%20look%20to%20the%20side.jpg

And a look ahead!

84-A%20look%20ahead.jpg

It's been a long day, about 9 hours of actual riding, and close to 400 of some of the best miles to be ridden.* We are in Glenwood Springs for the night.**

85-Glenwood%20Springs.jpg

​​​​​​​Tomorrow we head out to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then on back to Colorado Springs!

Kevin

Day 13 Black Canyon of the Gunnison-

We stayed at the Antler Best Western in Glenwood Springs. Pic taken when leaving out this morning.

1-Stayed%20at%20Best%20Western.jpg

It is 53 degrees this morning, great riding weather when you have the right gear. This city is at around 5600 ft. elevation. Following Scott and Karin as we embark on another great day of riding.

2-Leaving%20out%20for%20BCOTG.jpg

Within the first 20 miles, Scott pulled over. They have an emergency back home, so they are hightailing it back, and they've given us...

3-Cold%20and%20had%20to%20stop.jpg

...the map for where they were going to lead us today to and thru the Black Canyon.

4-Discussed%20then%20punched%20into%20GPS.jpg

After they took off, Mary and I talked about if we wanted to do the Black Canyon, or maybe some other route. (we were having a hard time picturing that the Black Canyon would be as spectacular as some of the other possibilities in Colorado).

In the end, we realized Scott has always led us on epic rides, and that we should trust him on this. So we punched in his written instructions into the GPS, and off we went!

From the get go, this ride has everything. Good winding roads, a stream along side the road and fantastic views!

5-barely%20started%20stream%20snow%20mountain%20curving%20road.jpg

Along the way we saw this little one lane wooden bridge over the stream, so we rode across...

6-little%20bridge.jpg

...took some photo's, turned around and rode back across....

7-On%20bridge.jpg

...and got back on the road to the Black Canyon...

8-Back%20on%20road.jpg

...What a perfect day of riding this is turning into, between the views, the cool weather, the relaxing curving road. Wow!

9-Fun%20and%20very%20scenic.jpg

More on Day 13 soon.

Kevin

Day 13 continued-

The views along the way toward the Black Canyon are stunning.

11-stunning.jpg

Cloud Pic...Some of Mary's favorite type photos.

12-Cloud.jpg

Curve after curve of...

13-Curve%20after%20curve.jpg

...amazing views!

14-seemingly%20endless.jpg

The road is smooth, the curves just keep coming, the TG is running great, and Mary and I are just taking it all in...

15-More.jpg

...this road is so nice, not straight, but not twisty.* Winding around, a very relaxed ride, with different views around every curve.

16-Big%20rock.jpg

That water is moving VERY fast, right next to the road.* We wondered if it every got so full that it overflowed onto the road.

17-Road%20River%20Mountains.jpg

I've gotten feedback, many of the folks in Colorado know...

18-Crazy.jpg

...how good they have it.* The riding here is just crazy good!

19-Colorado.jpg

We're starting a few miles of steep climbing up to the summit of Mc Clure Pass.

20-Steep%20climb%20now%20to%20summit%20of%20McClure%20Pass.jpg

​​​​​​​More on Day 13 soon.

Kevin

Kevin ... I went to Ridgway today on a pool job .... big signs stating Red Mountain Pass closed ... How bad did you burn up the pavement????? LOL ... glad you were able to do the Million Dollar Highway before it was closed. I'm guessing either road work or maybe a rock slide. Both are common there.

Just looked it up, Mudslide, so it's closed from Ouray to Silverton.

Kevin ... I went to Ridgway today on a pool job .... big signs stating Red Mountain Pass closed ... How bad did you burn up the pavement????? LOL ... glad you were able to do the Million Dollar Highway before it was closed. I'm guessing either road work or maybe a rock slide. Both are common there.

Just looked it up, Mudslide, so it's closed from Ouray to Silverton.

It wasn't us, I promise! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Kevin

Day 13 continued-

Looking back as we climb to the summit...

21-Look%20back%20as%20climbing%20summit.jpg

...another look back. Sometimes I see stuff in the mirrors and let Mary know...other times she is just checking it out herself. A lot of times the views are so different, makes you want to ride the road the other way once you're done with the first way. lol

22-Another%20lookback.jpg

Still climbing. This is one of the few other vehicles we saw this morning. Great cloud pic.

23-Still%20climbing.jpg

Crossed the summit at 60 mph...Mary snapped this photo. At 8755 feet, it's not high relative to many others we've been riding, but it was a nice ride up...now for the ride down.

24-Mc%20Clure%20Pass.jpg

Almost right away this deer ran straight across the road in front of us. We were doing 60 mph, the deer was going ??? mph. Mary got a great photo of her, both front legs off the ground, rear legs stretched out.

25-We%20were%20doing%2060%20deer%20was.jpg

Clouds are great this morning. Road is fun too.

26-35%20I%20dont%20think%20so.jpg

Still heading down. Winding relaxing road, constantly changing scenery.

27-Still%20heading%20down.jpg

Great cloud pic, and that looks like a "fun ahead" sign up there!

28-Cloud%20pic%20great%20road.jpg

We've been following along this lake for quite a while...

29-Pulled%20over.jpg

...decided to pull over for a little break and a closer look.

30-Closer%20look.jpg

More on Day 13 coming soon.

Kevin

Day 13 Continued-

Back rolling.* It is blowing my mind how many great roads and sights there are here in Colorado!

31-Back%20rolling.jpg

We're still on our way toward the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.* After turning left, we are headed toward a pretty big storm.

32-turn%20left%20toward%20rain.jpg

Rolling thru the town of Crawford, Mary got this pic of the biggest store in town.

33-town%20crawford.jpg

I've been doing a good job so far of not letting us get near empty.* 80 miles til more gas, AND it looks like rain.* We have enough gas for over 140 miles.

34-Gas%20Rain.jpg

This turn off to the Black Canyon was miles of gravel, and headed straight into the rain...we opted to stay on the asphalt.

35-%20Gravel%20rain.jpg

But we are still just barely skirting the rain!

36-barley%20missing.jpg

Starting to get colder and more wind as we are on the edge of the rain.* Stopped to put on our rain jackets.

37-stopped%20for%20rain%20jackets.jpg

Rain has been thru here earlier...road's a bit wet.* We're just getting sprinkles here and there.* Not really enough to need the rain jackets, but it's pretty cool also, so they're doing a good job at keeping the wind out.

38-back%20rolling%20road%20a%20bit%20wet.jpg

Looking back at where we came from...it's amazing how we've been missing the rain for the last couple of hours.

39-looking%20back%20keep%20barely%20missing.jpg

Our first glimpse of part of the Black Canyon, off in the distance.

40-starting%20to%20see.jpg

More on Day 13 to come soon.

Kevin

Kudos to you guys. When you get the time, post how you 'punched' the route info your friends gave you into the gps. You using base camp, harley maps, curious here about that.

It sure looks like you two are having a wonderful time! You're killing me Mary's pics are just great! It has been tooo long since we rode Black Canyon we really love Colorado!

Ride safe and may the rain gods be kind!

Robert:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png