DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

Day 41 concluded-

The TG is running well, both drive-train, great handling and smooth ride. Leaving out early, we are warm, but not hot. The scenery is picture perfect, road is nice. In every aspect, this is a Great Riding Day!

45a-a%20look%20back.jpg

We will definitely be revisiting this section of the 70...

45b-amazing%20scenery.jpg

...I would have never thought that interstate riding could be...

46-rock.jpg

...so much fun and so scenic!

46a-wow.jpg

We could have gone further. But, we have gotten spoiled...

47-green%20river%2012%20miles.jpg

...it's not even 2 pm, but it is starting to get warmer. So we're stopping here and will get an early start tomorrow.

48-we%20made%20it.jpg

Super 8, home away from home. lol

49-at%20the%20motel.jpg

After checking in, we went to the John Wesley Powell River History Museum, found a spot on the grass, by the river, in the shade and ate our lunch. Amazingly I have no photos of it. Was a nice lunch watching the animals along and in the river.

Tomorrow, early, we continue eastward, toward home!

Kevin

I70 Through Utah is very scenic .... stark ... but scenic. Every time I travel it I am in wonder about how those folks in a covered wagons made it across that without roads and indians shooting arrows at them ... Not to mention ... stumbling across the Grand Canyon :AGGHH: or the Rockies. Them were some tough folks to want to push on. I'm pretty sure I would of stopped at the Mississippi river. :D

Now a days, I can leave home, spend 5 days in Texas and still only be gone for 9 days. A trip like that would of took months or years back then.

I70 Through Utah is very scenic .... stark ... but scenic. Every time I travel it I am in wonder about how those folks in a covered wagons made it across that without roads and indians shooting arrows at them ... Not to mention ... stumbling across the Grand Canyon :AGGHH: or the Rockies. Them were some tough folks to want to push on. I'm pretty sure I would of stopped at the Mississippi river. :D

Now a days, I can leave home, spend 5 days in Texas and still only be gone for 9 days. A trip like that would of took months or years back then.

I've had the same thoughts, many a time!

Kevin

Day 42-

We are up early this morning. We want to cover a lot of miles...600 or more...and get stopped before it is too hot.

The sun is just peaking out over the horizon...

1-sunrise.jpg

...and we're already packed up. Yes, we started when it was still completely dark!

2-loading%20up.jpg

Leaving out from the Super 8. You can see in this pic that Green River is quite the metropolis! lol

3-leaving%20out.jpg

A look back as we head toward I70-

4-looking%20back.jpg

These early mornings are still a novelty to me! haha

Lots of road to burn up today.

7-lots%20of%20road%20ahead.jpg

A look back...some amazing road we traveled yesterday!

9-a%20look%20back.jpg

It soon becomes apparent....

11-lots%20of%20miles%20ahead.jpg

...that this morning is not going to be the same scenery as yesterday.

12-long%20road.jpg

Entering Colorado!

13-colorado.jpg

At first I thought that was smoke ahead...turns out it was a dense layer of fog!

14-pretty.jpg

More of Day 42 in next post-

Kevin

Day 42 continued-

The long road to Grand Junction...

15-long%20road.jpg

...Fruita! Almost to Grand Junction.

16-fruita%20sign.jpg

We thought about giving Alan a call...but we want to cover a lot of miles today, AND beat the heat, so we gas up in GJ and continue on our way!

Amazing views from the edge of Grand Junction...

17-nice.jpg

...and more, as we head into...

19-another%20biker%20and%20big%20hill.jpg

...some curving road that...

20-cool%20rock.jpg

...winds thru a canyon...

21-dam.jpg

...along the Colorado River.

22-dam%20closer%20look.jpg

Rather than go over the rock, let's ride thru it!

23-tunnel.jpg

This area, outside of Grand Junction, riding along the Colorado River, still well before noon....just a great riding experience!

24-rolling%20on%20along.jpg

Making our way toward Glenwood Springs...where we were a few weeks ago.

25-views.jpg

More on Day 42 as time allows.

Kevin

Kevin, simply a fantastic presentation of your travels :clapping:

You have inspired me to put the I-70 on my bucket list! Thank you :clap:

Hope you don't mind, but I referred to you and Mary in a thread here as the "Famed Iron Butt Duo" :laugh:

Kevin, simply a fantastic presentation of your travels :clapping:

You have inspired me to put the I-70 on my bucket list! Thank you :clap:

Hope you don't mind, but I referred to you and Mary in a thread here as the "Famed Iron Butt Duo" :laugh:

Yes, that section of 70 is on our list to ride again too, taking more time next go around!

hahaha, Iron Butt Duo. :) For all our riding, well over 100K 2-up on a trike and another 100K+ on two wheelers, we've had a few times that we've done 1000 miles in 24 hours a few times, but never officially, and not in recent years. :)

Not a biggie ... beating the heat is a big deal here in the summer ... be safe

Thanks man!

Kevin

Day 42 continued-

This is an amazing day riding...

28-by%20the%20river.jpg

...winding our way thru the mountains...

29-more%20river%20riding%20pretty.jpg

...and sometimes THROUGH the mountain!

30-another%20tunnel.jpg

We're making good time...

32-road.jpg

...as we head toward our last mountain passes of this trip.

34-minturn.jpg

100 miles of some steep and beautiful country before Denver!

35-denver%20100%20miles%20sign.jpg

There's a fair amount of traffic on the road, but the road is fun and the sights are great!

36-road%20and%20traffic.jpg

We're climbing pretty good now...

38-past%20road%20work.jpg

...toward Silverthorne. Stopped near Dillion Reservoir to change batteries in the camera and video camera.

38-pulled%20over.jpg

Rolling thru Silverthorne now. Headed up more mountain toward Eisenhower Tunnel!

39-back%20rolling.jpg

More in next post.

Kevin

Day 42 continued-

It is hard to tell from these pics...but it is very steep as we ride beside...

40-passed%20this%20car.jpg

...this classic automobile.* It was pulling the hill fine!

41-its%20pretty%20cool.jpg

Eisenhower Tunnel...

42-memorial%20tunnel.jpg

...it's another world inside the mountain!

43-going%20thru.jpg

Out the other side, and the highest altitude we'll be at for close to another year!

44-silver%20plume.jpg

A mini tunnel-

45-another%20tunnel.jpg

Coming into Denver-

46-more%20signs.jpg

No use posting any pics of the traffic and craziness of getting thru Denver. Here we are on the other side, still on the 70-

47-farmland.jpg

​​​​​​​

Day 42 concluded in next post.

Kevin

Wow, all those miles, two up, no doubt you've learned lot about taking pics, sharing, how to pack, what to see, clothes to wear for weather changes, hydration, trip planning, what to eat, where to eat, budgeting, and where to stay the night. Very cool.

Day 42 concluded-

On the 70, the east side of Denver could not be more different than the west side.* It is flat, with the occasional hill, straight, with the occasional slight curve, and it just keeps going and going.* Today it is also Very Windy!

49-flat%20land.jpg

Lot's of farmland is an understatement.* I always am thankful for those who do all that hard work to get our stores stocked!

48-limon.jpg

Stockyard-

50-lots%20of%20cows.jpg

After 3 hours of relatively straight, flat road, with increasing crosswind, we leave the State of Colorado...

51-goodbye%20CO.jpg

...and enter Kansas.* It looks the same, but if anything the wind is stronger!

52-hello%20kansas.jpg

Mary in the mirror, and a fellow Triker heading west.

53-waving%20to%20another%20rider.jpg

Soon after crossing into Kansas we decide to call it quits.* We wanted to get further today, but the crosswind for the last 3+ hours has gotten stronger and stronger, and beat us up pretty good.

Stopping at the Conoco, up on the right, we find out that there has been a wind advisory...wind has been coming out of the north and gusting up to 65 mph!!!!

54-made%20it.jpg

So the Super 8, in Goodland, KS is our home for tonight!* We'll be sleeping well.* lol

55-theres%20the%20super8.jpg

​​​​​​​It's right about 1000 miles to home.* Tomorrow we should get to somewhere in Missouri, maybe even Arkansas!

Kevin

Wow, all those miles, two up, no doubt you've learned lot about taking pics, sharing, how to pack, what to see, clothes to wear for weather changes, hydration, trip planning, what to eat, where to eat, budgeting, and where to stay the night. Very cool.

Hey Bill!

You sum it up very well. It's been a long learning curve, but we've had fun every step of the way. I love to ride and Mary thoroughly enjoys her "queen" seat as a passenger.

Probably the biggest two changes in the last 10-15 years is Electric Jacket Liners for the cold (thank you Mary) and motel "camping" instead of tent camping. lol

Kevin

Day 43-

Early morning...not sure what time it is, this area of Kansas has a weird thing going with their time zones...but it is just getting light as I look out the room to see if the Trike is still there. Yep, with a Vette parked next to it!

1a-room%20with%20a%20view.jpg

It's gonna be a warm one today, so we get packed up pretty quickly. Trunk and...

1b-trunk%20packed.jpg

...Tour-Pak,ready to go.

1c-Tour%20Pak%20packed.jpg

Getting geared up...

2-getting%20geared%20up.jpg

...Mary's waiting on me!

1-leaving%20out.jpg

And we're off...

3-a%20look%20back.jpg

...still getting used to...

4-hitting%20the%20road.jpg

...these early mornings.

5-beautiful%20morning.jpg

We have a lot of miles to cover today.

It is 5:24 am and already 64 degrees, gonna be a warm one...

5a-early%20warm.jpg

...but there is no significant wind so far, and the road stretches out as far as we can see. Gonna settle in and eat up some miles, enjoying the open road!

6-lots%20of%20nothing.jpg

More of day 43 in next post-

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png