DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'

Yellowstone is on my to do list via bike/trike ... seen it many times ... never via 2 or three wheels.

We're opposites! :laugh:

We've been there many times, but never in a car....but there have been a few times when we got caught in traffic, in the sun, on a hot day, and it would have been nice to be sitting in air-con.

Kevin

Day 17-

Today is the first of 3 days that we're exploring Yellowstone at a relaxed pace. Always before we've been thru Yellowstone and only had 1 or 1.5 days, and then our schedule had us moving on.

I think most everyone has seen tons of photo's of Yellowstone, and Mary took over 500 today, but I'm just going to share a few...well, about 20 of them.

Here we are coming up to the entrance. We already have our NP pass, so we just stop and get a map...

1-Entering%20Yellowstone.jpg

... go thru and pull over to look at it, deciding what we'll do today.

2-Figuring%20out%20where%20we%20want%20to%20go.jpg

Saw this bike/trike? go by...

3-Interesting%20bike.jpg

...we were stuck in a bit of "buffalo in the road" traffic, you can see how low and small it is on the right side, above the fairing, as it cooked along in the bike lane.

4-another%20view.jpg

We saw a LOT of buffalo today!

5-Buffalo.jpg

And some fantastic sights!

6-wow.jpg

Waiting, a good distance back, for them to cross the road.

7-waiting%20for%20them%20to%20cross.jpg

Saw a few groups of riders today.

8-group%20of%20riders.jpg

Yellowstone is an amazing place, and very scenic. But whenever I see this kind of activity, I can't help but think the earth is leaking, and one day it's not gonna be so pretty here. eeek!

9-earth%20leaking.jpg

Mary enjoying the walk thru the earth's pressure relief valve.

9a-Earth%20Leaking%20Mary.jpg

More in next post.

Kevin

Day 17 concluded-

hahaha, Stock. Bikes. Suck. Did not know Mary took this pic til this afternoon when we got back and I downloaded all her photos.

10-SBS.jpg

We headed over to Old Faithful...

11-Old%20Faithful.jpg

...walked over to near it, had our lunch, and it was still another 1.5 hours before it blew again....we saw that just a couple of year ago, so we took a few photos...

12-Old%20Faithful%20Mary.jpg

...and were on our way. Here's another little traffic jam. Buffalo are walking down the middle of the road, between the cars. I hung back, keeping an escape route open...

13-Buffalo%20thru%20cars.jpg

...they came to about 10 feet from our front tire, then decided to cut across our lane and walk along the side of the road. Mary was pretty nervous and did not take any photo's until one of them was right beside us...I still could not move forward, since there was another one right in front of us. But I was ready to cut left, into the oncoming lane, if necessary.

This photo is of one right beside us, about 5 feet away. Massive creatures.

14-Right%20beside%20us.jpg

Absolutely stunning views!

15-wow.jpg

Another guy that Mary grabbed a pic of as we rode by.

16-right%20beside%20us.jpg

Mary in the Mirror...heading back to W. Yellowstone.

17-headed%20back.jpg

A quick look back...we have two more days to putt around.

18-a%20look%20back.jpg

Back "home".

19-back%20home%20for%20the%20night.jpg

Tomorrow is more time in Yellowstone!

Kevin

Awesome pictures as usual! Yellowstone is full of beautiful scenery! Love the buffalo pics! Probably is pretty unnerving sitting on a trike in the open with one walking that close to you!!!

Reactions: MDO
Some great pictures of Yellowstone and the buffalo. Gayle and I have been thru Yellowstone 12 times total with several trips on the trike and the rest in a car. Been there early in May and late in October. Actually living here in Idaho now we will get there a few more times I'm sure. We have also been very close to the buffalo. One time Gayle could have slapped the one on the hind quarter as we rode pass, but not a good idea to do that. We've also been close to elk near Mammoth Hot Springs. On a couple occasions we had called out to people to back away from buffalo as they were getting very close to get their selfies and pictures.

Have also been close to buffalo in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in ND. On one occasion we had to stop and help out a couple on a motorcycle that had been hit by a buffalo. Took about 15 minutes for park rangers to get there, about 45 minutes for two ambulances. She had a fractured ankle and he a perforated lung. They actually didn't see the buffalo as it was the last of the herd crossing the road and was hidden by brush and a deep ditch and just came up into them. Three rangers ended up responding and one of them was going to go looking for the herd to see if the one buffalo was injured.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Awesome pictures as usual! Yellowstone is full of beautiful scenery! Love the buffalo pics! Probably is pretty unnerving sitting on a trike in the open with one walking that close to you!!!

Thanks. Yes, it is not comfortable to be within range of them and not have a good escape route.

Awesome photos Kevin! You & Mary will need to publish a book.

Thank you!

Some great pictures of Yellowstone and the buffalo. Gayle and I have been thru Yellowstone 12 times total with several trips on the trike and the rest in a car. Been there early in May and late in October. Actually living here in Idaho now we will get there a few more times I'm sure. We have also been very close to the buffalo. One time Gayle could have slapped the one on the hind quarter as we rode pass, but not a good idea to do that. We've also been close to elk near Mammoth Hot Springs. On a couple occasions we had called out to people to back away from buffalo as they were getting very close to get their selfies and pictures.

Have also been close to buffalo in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in ND. On one occasion we had to stop and help out a couple on a motorcycle that had been hit by a buffalo. Took about 15 minutes for park rangers to get there, about 45 minutes for two ambulances. She had a fractured ankle and he a perforated lung. They actually didn't see the buffalo as it was the last of the herd crossing the road and was hidden by brush and a deep ditch and just came up into them. Three rangers ended up responding and one of them was going to go looking for the herd to see if the one buffalo was injured.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Thanks. Yes, I've seen some Youtube vids on them knocking bikes over with just a effortless toss of their heads. They can move fast too, when they want to. I prefer to keep my distance!

Kevin

Day 18-

Today is our second day in Yellowstone, and it is starting out beautifully!

1-Back%20in%20Yellowstone.jpg

Almost right away we saw these buffalo slowing down a LONG line of traffic going the opposite direction.

2-Staying%20in%20their%20own%20lane.jpg

They were walking right down the center of the lane!

3-blocking%20traffic.jpg

Cute!

4-cute.jpg

Stopped for some photo's of this waterfall...the beauty in this NP never fails to amaze.

5-stopped%20for%20some%20pics.jpg

Back riding, enjoying the views!* It is so nice to be able to take our time on this trip, and stop wherever, whenever we want, knowing we have 3 full days to explore.

6-Stunning.jpg

This is the section of road construction that a few folks have mentioned.

7-Construction.jpg

Sheepeater Cliff...when I first read that I thought it was because sheep "ate it" falling off the sheer edge.* Then I read the explanation for the name.* lol

8-Cliffs.jpg

Just amazing, picturesque view after view!*

Was sort of surprised to see snow in Yellowstone still, but there it is.

9-beautiful.jpg

Even though the speed limit is relatively slow in the park, and the roads are mostly straight...there are some really fun sections of road too.

10-Fun%20Road.jpg

​​​​​​​More on Day 18 as time allows.

Kevin

Day 18 continued-

I promise, I know folks have seen endless photos of Yellowstone...I am not posting many of all the amazing sights we saw that Mary photographed, just a few here and there that seem unique to our ride thru.

A look back at a waterfall..

11-llok%20back.jpg

...and a look ahead.

12-look%20ahead.jpg

One of 50+ photo's Mary grabbed of Mammoth Hot Springs as we rode thru-

13-Mammoth%20Hot%20Springs.jpg

We saw this sign and wondered why Beartooth Pass would be closed today.* Day after tomorrow we are planning to ride the pass.

14-Not%20true.jpg

We stopped for some pics of this waterfall.* To give some perspective on how large it is...there are two people that you can barely see at the top left of the falls.

15-Waterfall%202%20people.jpg

Lava Creek looks like a good place to stop and eat our lunch...

16-Stopped%20here%20for%20lunch.jpg

Messing around by the water...it is really moving quite fast!

17-playing%20around%20at%20the%20water.jpg

Fixing to eat by the creek.

18-Lunchtime.jpg

This is a really nice little glen...

19-lunch%20at%20lava%20creek.jpg

...couldn't hear much of anything over the rushing water, but caught a glimpse of a curious moose, about 75 yards away.

20-75%20yards.jpg

Day 18 concluded in next post.

Kevin

Day 18 concluded-

A bit closer now, only 60 yards away.

21-60%20yards.jpg

Back rolling. Absolutely beautiful riding!

22-back%20rolling.jpg

That's a BIG wall of rock to our right!

23-very%20cool%20section%20of%20road.jpg

Cloud pic for Mary, fun curving road for me. lol

24-Curvy.jpg

Climbing Mt. Washburn...

25-Mt%20Washburn%20in%20the%20snow.jpg

...at 7900 feet there's still a bunch of snow. Mary in the Mirror.

26-MiM.jpg

Near the top!

27-lots%20of%20snow%20still.jpg

Down the other side now, we take a side road to the Virginia Cascades. It is one way, narrow and curvy...

28-Virginia%20Cascades.jpg

This pic was taken as we are rolling, looking down, off the side of the road.

29-off%20side%20of%20TG.jpg

Headed back to our Motel in W. Yellowstone.

30-what%20a%20day.jpg

What an amazing day, and we still have more to see tomorrow!

Kevin

You had to say that four letter word SNOW:p

Cool pictures and great story line thanks for all the posts , hope you and Mary are having a great time

Them Moose sure are ugly:laugh:

Well, get ready. Next spring Carla and I will ride up to your house and ride along with you. It will be lots of fun, trust me.;)

Might wanna wait until a little closer to summer ... Spring is pool opening season ... and ... Lots of Yellowstone has snow in the spring ... even in the Summer ... Sorry Jack ... didn't mean to say that 4 letter word.

You had to say that four letter word SNOW:p

:D

Cool pictures and great story line thanks for all the posts , hope you and Mary are having a great time

Them Moose sure are ugly:laugh:

Cool, glad you're enjoying them!

That's because it looks like an Elk...!! Ha ha!!!

You know I get them critters mixed up.

A great job on the play by play of your trip of a lifetime, along with the awesome pics.

The road were the snow was, what was the outside temp riding through there?

Thank you. It was in the low 70's when we rode thru about mid day.

Great Pics!!!

You now have my wife planning a trip to Yellowstone.

Bob

Cool! I think you're going to enjoy it!

Kevin

Day 19-

So, today is our last day in Yellowstone. After spending the day looking around, we will be exiting via the NE entrance and traveling the few miles to Cooke City, where we'll be staying tonight.

What a great way to start the day...

1-Starting%20last%20day.jpg

...I can already tell it is going to be one of those perfect riding days!

2-gonna%20be%20great.jpg

Some fellow riders out enjoying the day!

3-fellow%20riders.jpg

Stopped at Canyon Village to look around. Yeah, that's snow in the parking lot.

4-snow%20in%20parking%20lot%20canyon%20village.jpg

Here's even more snow that I had to play in a bit. lol

5-had%20to%20play%20a%20bit%20in%20the%20snow.jpg

Photo of some wildlife that Mary snapped while we were riding.

6-from%20road.jpg

Yellowstone's Grand Canyon!

7-Grand%20Canyon.jpg

Amazing land, perfect weather and a great road to be riding on!!!!

8-perfect.jpg

After parking we walked to the look-out on the South Rim...

9-Mary%20and%20waterfall.jpg

A closer look at the waterfall.

10-zoom%20of%20waterfall.jpg

More in next post.

*Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png