2018 Tri Glide Steering question

May 18, 2018
DeForest, WI 53532
Ok, I had to sell my 2013 Road Glide and now own a 2018 Tri Glide 115th. I only have 184 miles on it and I am 5'8" and leaning forward to steer when doing a full left or right. Also, even going down the road the front end feels like it is heavy. I realize this is a different way of riding but do I develop muscles like Popeye or is there something I can do to make steering easier and not have to reach so far when sitting? I have checked tire pressure and it is at 36 #

Ok, I had to sell my 2013 Road Glide and now own a 2018 Tri Glide 115th. I only have 184 miles on it and I am 5'8" and leaning forward to steer when doing a full left or right. Also, even going down the road the front end feels like it is heavy. I realize this is a different way of riding but do I develop muscles like Popeye or is there something I can do to make steering easier and not have to reach so far when sitting? I have checked tire pressure and it is at 36 #

I can cure that for you with a rake kit. PM me if you want details.

Welcome to Trike Talk Chip

Steering a trike to me is way different than 2 wheels

Dont fight it Push AND pull on the handle bars firmly, it should steer in the direction you want easier

Also check your handlebar position. I'm 5' 8" and I don't have to lean forward to turn full lock. It sounds like they should come up a bit.

I was in the same boat... sold my 2013 Ultra and purchased a 2018 Tri Glide. I'm 5' 8"...

The first thing I did was change out my bars to a set of 10" Chubby Pull back Apes. At 10" they are hardly what I'd consider to be "apes"... They simply made it much easier by bringing the handle bar back to me.

Next came the DK Lift Conversion. Plenty more bells and whistles came later, but as far as the mechanical changes that "had" to be done to make for a more comfortable and manageable ride, those first two were vital to me. And yes, you push with one arm and pull with the other... with practice and time you'll be amazed at how easy and much fun the Tri-Glide is.

Pro Action 14" shocks and lift kit from DK Customs. You won't believe the difference it makes. Better ride to boot......

YMMV

Lon

Thank You

Pro Action 14" shocks and lift kit from DK Customs. You won't believe the difference it makes. Better ride to boot......

YMMV

Lon

Can not afford 900or more now to put on shocks. maybe down the road. Hard time paying that much for shocks that should cost about 160.00 lol

Did it require new lines etc ? will these work on a 2018 as well? I am assuming 1" bars correct ? thank you ..

No Sir, and correct 1” bars. But for an add. $59 I believe it to be you can get the Namz “plug and play” wire extentions and the job will be a little easier. Id also add to cover and pad your front fender, might save you some grief! 😉

Last edited:
I purchased the Khrome Werks 1.25 dia bars with a reduced reach. I have them mounted to my bench currently with all new chrome controls, heated grips and the backlit buttons. I purchased what I call fatty bars so I could run all the wires inside the bars. So far so good. I am now waiting until I can get my inner fairing painted to match, so I only take things apart once.

NAMZ Extension

No Sir, and correct 1” bars. But for an add. $59 I believe it to be you can get the Namz “plug and play” wire extentions and the job will be a little easier. Id also add to cover and pad your front fender, might save you some grief! 😉

That is excellent info on the bars. Much appreciated. I always cover the paint learned that the hard way once upon a time :)

Can you tell me if this is the correct part? NHCX-CB14 - Fits: (ALL '14-Up Harley Bagger Models ONLY)

https://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/product/pnp-handlebar-switch-harness-kits-14-up-baggers/

DO i need reverse switch extension also and turn signal extension or is this all in one ?

Thank you for your responses

Congrats on your new ride!

Yeah, it's crazy how much you have to muscle these things around. I have a bad left shoulder and the leaning forward business, and the heavy steering is a no-go for me.

The least expensive thing you can do is get some handlebars that come back toward you more, AND are Wider. That will give you more leverage. Leverage is a great equalizer!

Before starting to play musical handlebars, or getting only a part of the benefit for all the cost, check out this LINK which shows you how to get the perfect handlebars for You.

For me, my bars are 9" closer to me, and 4" or so wider on each side. But it is different for everybody.

Another inexpensive fix to easier steering is a Comfort Lift™ Kit. This will make the steering feel a bit lighter, in addition to better front tire traction and a bit better ride quality.

Kevin

Chip I also have a 115th anniversary trike and have added khrome werks 2+2 narrow sweepers and the DK comfort lift, it is much easier to steer and the front end feels more planted on the ground, there are many threads talking about the narrow and wide 2+2 sweepers. Installed them myself in about 2 hours.

Can not afford 900or more now to put on shocks. maybe down the road. Hard time paying that much for shocks that should cost about 160.00 lol

It is understandable ... considering you already paid well over $900.00 for the $160.00 shocks that are on it from the motorco.

+1 on the 2+2 Wide Sweepers from Khrome Werks these made world of difference for me, 2" higher straighten my back and shoulders. 2" back took care of my neck pain, and the 3"+ width was like adding power steering. Bars a personal thing good luck these worked for me I'm 5'8" 30" inseam. DSC00124.JPGDSC00278.JPGDSC00551.JPGDSC00554.JPGDSC00555.JPGDSC00552.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png