Likes Likes:  3
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid engined trikes

User ID

Welcome to the gang . I plan on building a Midship Corvair Trike .. So I'll be trying to follow along .. I have Questions so . We can Muddle this thing trough together .

User ID

Midship Corvair setup poses it's own set of problems if you are planning to use the Covair transaxle. When building a midengine VW transaxle, the ring gear has to be flipped over to give the correct rotation to the final drive. Otherwise you get 4 reverse and 1 forward gear. You can't flip the ring gear over in the Corvair transaxles. The Corvair engine rotates opposite of the VW engine so you can use a non-flipped ring gear VW transaxle to get 4 forward and 1 reverse gear but you will be placing the load on the back side of the hypoid gears. This will affect trans life. I believe you can flip a Corvair stick trans upside down and it will work but you can't flip the auto trans upside down due to valve body considerations.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by vwbug72501 View Post
    Midship Corvair setup poses it's own set of problems if you are planning to use the Covair transaxle. When building a midengine VW transaxle, the ring gear has to be flipped over to give the correct rotation to the final drive. Otherwise you get 4 reverse and 1 forward gear. You can't flip the ring gear over in the Corvair transaxles. The Corvair engine rotates opposite of the VW engine so you can use a non-flipped ring gear VW transaxle to get 4 forward and 1 reverse gear but you will be placing the load on the back side of the hypoid gears. This will affect trans life. I believe you can flip a Corvair stick trans upside down and it will work but you can't flip the auto trans upside down due to valve body considerations.
    So I didn't make it out there to play this afternoon . But in reading this .

Homebuilt 1.jpg

I Have a VW trans-axle ..

Homebuilt 5.jpg

If I and turn the trans axle over around so input shaft is facing inward that gives Me a automatic to sell . and all I have to do is get a adapter plate to mount the trans-axle put the corvair motor on it .. I will look at mounting options . the Corvair motor has a back motor mount & springs if I can just get them hooked up to a Cycle frame .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12