2004 Book Trike electric problems

Jun 17, 2018
PAHRUMP
wires.jpgThis is what I found when I pulled the tank to look at the wires, did this come from the factory this way or did the previous really screw things up ? All the pictures I have found show a panel here holding everything nice and neat ! My Trike runs good and rides nice but the only electric things that work are what is needed to get it on the road, I also see most tanks with some type of gauge but mine just has the key and flasher warning light that works, the yellow button does nothing and the little light does nothing, I have a switch down by e-brake and shifter thats not hooked up ! Any info I can get would be a great help !

I know absolutely zero specific about a boom trike.

Just general theory of how things work.

At least it is not all hacked up.

No it probably was not real neat but was orderly at a minimum.

Probably a universal harness that covers all the options available. Will have unused plugs and such.

Wires have no moving parts. So the wire is not the problems....it is whatever hooks on the end of the wire.

Looks like things were unplugged and the wire pulled up to here.

What was somebody thinking when soldering those white wires together?

So first thing.....get a wiring diagram from boom.

Then get a multimeter and start tracing out wires.

Check function of the switches.

Check bulbs and sockets.

Check relays and such.

Just one thing/circuit at a time. Following it out on the diagram.

The good thing is that it is not hacked to bits (that I can see here). As a guess I would say it had a bad part, something like a relay bad and shorting out. Someone just unplugged things until the short was out of the system. Then jumped a now missing ground (white soldered). Which is a valid way to diagnose a problem, but not the way to leave it.

A lot of people do not mess with wiring, usually the quick fix, not the actual cause being resolved.

It takes some time and patience, but it can be fixed.

Rex always has a pretty solid plan of attack, it is the only way I know how to do it, other than the quick fix in a pinch type.

Oh, welcome to Trike Talk and enjoy the site.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png