Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Odessey of Wilma

20+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
    That could also affect your timing issues
    Yes, they told me that too. I consider myself lucky, I found a vintage vw guru to coach me.

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    Yes, they told me that too. I consider myself lucky, I found a vintage vw guru to coach me.
    Just for grins when you get your vacuum and timing issues sorted out, put a vacuum gauge on your engine

With good steady vacuum you can be safe in knowing your valve train is not broken

Back in the old days we set timing with a vacuum gauge when a timing light was not available

Looking for 16-18 in of steady vacuum and NO run on when shutting down
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 31years)
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

20+ Posts
    User ID

Just for grins when you get your vacuum and timing issues sorted out, put a vacuum gauge on your engine

With good steady vacuum you can be safe in knowing your valve train is not broken

Back in the old days we set timing with a vacuum gauge when a timing light was not available

Looking for 16-18 in of steady vacuum and NO run on when shutting down
    Thanks jack, thats news to me. Any idea where I could read about that relationship between timing and vacuum

User ID

Kerry read here, but there are a lot of variables to deal with including camshaft, compression ratio, carbon deposits and leaky gaskets rings and worn valve train

Poor castings, doomed pistons, burned valves the list goes on

Including vacuum advance units leaking, poor centrifugal advance weights

To name a few

Think of the engine as a giant air pump, air in air out

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-vacuum-gauge/
    Current ride : 17 FREEWHEELER M8, Power Vision tuner, DK Customs Outlaw air cleaner, modified by me head breather vent with drain, Gutted stock mufflers, (RJS Originals) rear wheel discs , (RJS Originals) custom windshield lower panel, Mighty Mites Love Jugs fans by Papa Zook

User ID

good article...several times, swapping around timing covers and vibration dampers we ended up with no timing marks or marks that were misslocated. I read somewhere, yrs ago, how to set ign timing with no timing marks available......at idle, advance distributor untill max steady vacuum is reached, then retard timing to take 1 in. of vacuum of the gage. I believe the vacuum advance diaphram was disconnected during the procedure. Over the yrs I have found many old vacuum advance diaphrams to be leaky, so always test with a vacuum pump tool!

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
    good article...several times, swapping around timing covers and vibration dampers we ended up with no timing marks or marks that were misslocated. I read somewhere, yrs ago, how to set ign timing with no timing marks available......at idle, advance distributor untill max steady vacuum is reached, then retard timing to take 1 in. of vacuum of the gage. I believe the vacuum advance diaphram was disconnected during the procedure. Over the yrs I have found many old vacuum advance diaphrams to be leaky, so always test with a vacuum pump tool!
    Larry, I still believe in Old School ways like in your post

I would add a healthy test ride and pull the plugs and read them

I know a lot of folks are gona say you cant read plugs with this crappy gas, Yeah you can, it is a bit tricky but can be done If you pay attention you can see the timing on the plug

20+ Posts
    User ID

Kerry read here, but there are a lot of variables to deal with including camshaft, compression ratio, carbon deposits and leaky gaskets rings and worn valve train

Poor castings, doomed pistons, burned valves the list goes on

Including vacuum advance units leaking, poor centrifugal advance weights

To name a few

Think of the engine as a giant air pump, air in air out

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...-vacuum-gauge/
    Thanks Jack, this furthers my knowledge quite a bit. I'm looking forward to my parts arriving and this engine running properly again. Just wish it didn't take 5 days to get something. I'm even buying spares I don't need yet, just in case because I hate "downtime "

20+ Posts
    User ID

Wow, what a difference a leak makes. New intake gaskets and boots, followed by a carb adjust cured all the issues. Next item on the list is lighter throttle spring to ease wrist fatigue.

User ID

Good job Kerry

20+ Posts
    User ID

Well, 500 miles later and I'm putting a new end on my "new" accelerator cable! Made the cable from tandem bicycle brake cable. Cable frayed and broke about 1/8" from the grip tube, guess I need a stronger/more flexible cable. Will look into that.

Found a tach/speedo combo on amazon for $35.00. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-12.../dp/B01LZKPEDL

Had to use the magnets and pick up from the old speedo cause the new one was faulty! Gotta love the new tech, umpteen different funtions and the pickup coil is faulty!

Made a trailer hitch to replace the wheelie bars, so I'm having a counterweight fabricated ( steel plate) to try holding the front down. Wish me luck, pics to follow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast