A Great Reason to join Trike Talk Forum

Lee H. Mann

Gone But Not Forgotten
Apr 9, 2011
Martinsburg, WV
As most of you here know, I supply Lehman replacement parts for those owners that are trying to keep their trusty steeds on the road. I get a lot of calls from people that have just purchased their used trikes and were told they were Lehmans. In most cases they were told that by the seller and ended having a MotorTrike or some other model that I don’t deal with. Most of them need some kind of repair item. I ask them to describe or send a picture to me before we continue a conversation. My recent run-in with someone in need really got me flustered. He was referred to me by another dealer for driveline related parts. He identified his trike as a Lehman Monarch II and needed the driveshaft assembly.

I make a lot of parts because many of these parts have been discontinued by the manufacturer and I build driveshafts and exhaust parts specifically. Lehman’s history on changes is pretty slim, they didn’t start an IRS suspension until late 2012 in a last ditch effort to save themselves and using a Champion variant on both the straight axle and IRS at that point.

I sent this customer the parts HE requested and upon receiving them he phoned me and said they wouldn’t work. I asked if he was sure it had a Lehman rear axle and he affirmed that he did. His main issue was that I made parts that he could have made himself once he looked at them. He then claimed that the u-joint would not fit the yoke of the rear axle. Lehman had been using the same u-joint for 30+ years on their shaft-drive conversions so I knew something was strange here.

As it turned out, he purchased a wrecked bike and he was blaming little-ol-me for what was or was not in the original trike. He also used my idea to fabricate his own driveshaft to fit his CHAMPION REAR AXLE ! He is sending the parts back for a refund and I will never deal with him again in this life.

Jim, there will sadly always be customers wanting to blame everyone but them self for self inflicted problems

I feel for you trying your best to always do the right thing;)

Jim, it stinks to have to deal with a customer like that for sure...

Keep up the good work doing your best to keep folk's Lehman trikes rolling down the road putting smiles on their faces. I am sure they appreciate your hard work!

As most of you here know, I supply Lehman replacement parts for those owners that are trying to keep their trusty steeds on the road. I get a lot of calls from people that have just purchased their used trikes and were told they were Lehmans. In most cases they were told that by the seller and ended having a MotorTrike or some other model that I don’t deal with. Most of them need some kind of repair item. I ask them to describe or send a picture to me before we continue a conversation. My recent run-in with someone in need really got me flustered. He was referred to me by another dealer for driveline related parts. He identified his trike as a Lehman Monarch II and needed the driveshaft assembly.

I make a lot of parts because many of these parts have been discontinued by the manufacturer and I build driveshafts and exhaust parts specifically. Lehman’s history on changes is pretty slim, they didn’t start an IRS suspension until late 2012 in a last ditch effort to save themselves and using a Champion variant on both the straight axle and IRS at that point.

I sent this customer the parts HE requested and upon receiving them he phoned me and said they wouldn’t work. I asked if he was sure it had a Lehman rear axle and he affirmed that he did. His main issue was that I made parts that he could have made himself once he looked at them. He then claimed that the u-joint would not fit the yoke of the rear axle. Lehman had been using the same u-joint for 30+ years on their shaft-drive conversions so I knew something was strange here.

As it turned out, he purchased a wrecked bike and he was blaming little-ol-me for what was or was not in the original trike. He also used my idea to fabricate his own driveshaft to fit his CHAMPION REAR AXLE ! He is sending the parts back for a refund and I will never deal with him again in this life.

Jim i delt with costumers like that many times over the 30 years i had a shop...I would just chalk it up the way some people are, You weed them out and then move on...

Well that sucks, some people are aholes and sadly will always be. Sure takes a set to lie about the the needed part, furnish false information, some helpful person fabricates the part, then lying recipient returns the parts and wants his money back. That just ain't right. :gah:

I can relate. Was owned by a equipment rental and outdoor power equipment repair and service operation. Both thankless tasks. People tore up equipment trying to do things it was never designed to do (it was always the equipments fault), and for power equipment - 'What do you mean it will cost $$$$ to repair my cheap ass Walmart mower that I've misused and abused?' (even if they remembered to put the manufacturer supplied oil in the engine before starting it).

Jim, I think all of us here on TT appreciate your honesty and integrity in dealing with those who contact you looking for help. You are a tremendous asset to this forum but there will always be that certain someone who is a total a$$ because it really is their fault.

Obousey they don’t belong to TT. John Q :kpzxvq: kiss it!

Obviously !!!:laugh:

Thanks for the kind words all.

There is a segment of society that is always trying to get over on someone to get ahead, or so they think.

I spend a lot of time talking :facepalm: to trike owners about their problems and hopefully can get them pointed in the right direction.:Shrug:

Joining or just viewing Trike Talk being the first suggestion ThumbUp for information from actual riders that have had similar issues and solutions.

Not a 'salesman' trying to unload a problem onto someone else.:Coffee:

Obviously !!!:laugh:

Thanks for the kind words all.

There is a segment of society that is always trying to get over on someone to get ahead, or so they think.

I spend a lot of time talking :facepalm: to trike owners about their problems and hopefully can get them pointed in the right direction.:Shrug:

Joining or just viewing Trike Talk being the first suggestion ThumbUp for information from actual riders that have had similar issues and solutions.

Not a 'salesman' trying to unload a problem onto someone else.:Coffee:

To Paraphrase Billy Currington.....God is Great' Beer is good' And sometimes People are Crazy...:laugh:

Now if he needs something that he can't fab he's in trouble.Years ago i turned wrenches on bikes on the side for extra cash but it got to be a hassle because of folks like this.The up side you now have one less knuckle to deal with.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png