How much weight could you safely carry on cargo carrier

I have 08 1800 Gold wing moto trike. I have a cargo carrier that fits into my receiver hitch. The tongue length is 10” long. How much weight could I safely carry in it? The total weight of carrier plus cooler loaded will be about 45 lbs? Would that be to much weight on back end?

Last edited:
The '06 MotorTrike I use to have got fitted with the home made carrier I built very soon after it was converted. Had over 50,000 on the conversion when I sold it. I'd guess that weighed 80 or 85 pounds loaded. I do have to admit I rebuilt the hitch from what MT use to put on in 2012. It would not hold even the trailer tongue weigh. They changed the design a couple years later. Depending on what you have for a receiver. Maybe yes - maybe NO... What year was the conversion done?

Short Hitch.JPG

That’s very nice set-up you got. I’m assuming it was converted in 08, according to dealership

Take a look and see what your receiver looks like Kerry. First two photos are what the original I removed looked like. I don't have a picture of what I built but this second photo is what MotorTrike installs now. Having the forward anchor point adds a bunch of strength. The vertical weight bearing stayed pretty much the same but I think it's now capable of the 100 pounds MotorTrike says it will do. If you have the first style and can get someone to modify it to look like the new design I believe you'll be OK. :xszpv: :xszpv:

OEM Hitch 1.jpg

OEM Hitch 2.jpg

NEW STYLE HITCH.jpg

Mine looks like the bottom, it has the anchor bolt at the back. I went to motor trike web site, they say not to exceed 100 lbs tongue weight. I should be fine, I’m gonna be under 50lbs. How did your trike handle with your rack on back of yours.

Thanks for your help

Mine looks like the bottom, it has the anchor bolt at the back. I went to motor trike web site, they say not to exceed 100 lbs tongue weight. I should be fine, I’m gonna be under 50lbs. How did your trike handle with your rack on back of yours.

Thanks for your help

That's good news for you Kerry. One less thing to worry about.

Keep in mind what I said about the weight I was carrying. Also how much further back that weight was setting. I does make the front end of the trike feel lighter. but not unmanageable. Longest trip I took was just over 4,000 miles rode Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway plus a whole lot of back roads. Keep your rear suspension pumped up a bit and you should be fine. :xszpv::xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleycruiseraz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png