Would a Spyder be right for me?

Jan 29, 2011
illinois
I am a 75 year old guy. I have a disease called "inclusion body myositis" It slowly effects your muscle system. Upper body strength is fine so far, but legs are shot. I can no longer foot shift my current ride....1994 Kawasaki Vulcan with a tow-pac.

I believe Spyder has an automatic version and would like opinions as to whether or not this might be a good choice for me. Thanks

I am a 75 year old guy. I have a disease called "inclusion body myositis" It slowly effects your muscle system. Upper body strength is fine so far, but legs are shot. I can no longer foot shift my current ride....1994 Kawasaki Vulcan with a tow-pac.

I believe Spyder has an automatic version and would like opinions as to whether or not this might be a good choice for me. Thanks

Jim ' The first thing you should do is go to a Can Am dealer and test drive a Spyder And yes they have an automatic and power steering (DPS) A test drive would be a good start 👍📞

Jim, I demo'd the Spyder RT, smooth suspension, paddle shifter was a dream, could be the answer to your problem. I decided against giving up the GW/Road Smith for the Spyder, it was a matter of finances and common sense. I could not see the the insane price the dealers were willing to allow me on a Canam. At some point in time, I may change my mind, because I truly did the like the Spyder ride and the paddle shifter.

Had a Motor Trike GW and a 2011 Can-Am spyder RT with the shift paddle. Short trips - the spyder every time, longer trips - the GW. For your case the Spyder should work very well, and as far as the distance is concerned, that is simply personal preference. Met a fellow in the south east heading home to Florida who had been up into Canada on his Can-Am. Said he would ride nothing else, but he had also added a Ultimate seat, which I can tell you from experience can make all the difference in ride comfort.

Only you can decide if your medical condition will allow you to continue to ride. I have the auto clutch transmission on my 2012 and it is very reliable and I have as much control as if I had a full manual. I do not have your problem but I think you would like it very much and feel very safe on it.The brake of course is on the floor on the right side. If foot braking is a problem you could add a hand brake. Like your car the brake for all wheels operates from one central point.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png