Trunk Lock

Old Road Dog

650+ Posts
Mar 9, 2018
Winston Salem ,NC
I know this is an old topic but it still pisses me off as there's a guy on HD forums with a new Freewheeler that can't open his trunk.Not a member and won't join so can't help.So this morning after my sunrise ride I determined that I would resolve this nonsense once and for all-maybe.Looking at the striker,cable and locking latch there's no way really to open the trunk by attacking these parts.Do this.Open trunk lid.Facing forward with the lock jaws assembly on the right bulkhead-depress locking jaws with your finger to simulate the striker.Now reach over the plastic cover with your left hand toward the front bulkhead and down back.Feel the end of the cable which is the locknut #5 in the parts diagram-which Im unable to post.Push locknut in-toward you.Presto-it unlocks.Now to figure out which is the best way to access this locknut with a closed trunk????

I know this is an old topic but it still pisses me off as there's a guy on HD forums with a new Freewheeler that can't open his trunk.Not a member and won't join so can't help.So this morning after my sunrise ride I determined that I would resolve this nonsense once and for all-maybe.Looking at the striker,cable and locking latch there's no way really to open the trunk by attacking these parts.Do this.Open trunk lid.Facing forward with the lock jaws assembly on the right bulkhead-depress locking jaws with your finger to simulate the striker.Now reach over the plastic cover with your left hand toward the front bulkhead and down back.Feel the end of the cable which is the locknut #5 in the parts diagram-which Im unable to post.Push locknut in-toward you.Presto-it unlocks.Now to figure out which is the best way to access this locknut with a closed trunk????

I did something like that on my EX 08 Spyder....The trunk opened [On the Spyder the trunk is in front] with a slight turn of the ignition key, And sometimes it would not open..So i attached .[Caveman Style] a cable to the locking mechanism ran it down to the side of the trunk, Then drilled a hole and ran it out behind the front tire ....Worked better than the key method ....Worked every time for the three years i had it...:clapping:

HD17FLHTCUTG111.gif
Here is your image with #5, I dunno how that could work but good luck on it

Note that image can be deceiving. 5,33, are mounted to RH side bulkhead while most of the other parts(#30 lock) are mounted centerline rear bulkhead.Connected by the cable of course.I suppose the quick down an dirty method would be to drill a 3/4" hole 90 degrees to the latch.This would put it just above fender crease. Then reach in with a finger or stick(yo-tools are locked in the trunk man.)Then install a grommet with one of those flag knits or an faux antenna.This could go Rube Goldberg real quick. The least destructive way would be via the access port #27, maybe snake one of those pickup tools through there.I dunno.

Reactions: MDO
He could just take it back to the dealer or where he got it.

I sure wouldn't drill any holes. We need to come up with a solenoid actuator like power locks have to make a power lock for the FW trunk, with a switch mounted by the dash.

The kit would sell really well!

If it is a chronic problem.... I would look for simple mechanical solutions.... DK Customs...you could do this. Just a hook and some chrome rivets/fasteners. No cables. No electronics. No motherboards and microprocessors. Just a latch. Hey! Old Guys..... Remember these? FLH Saddlebag latches. Just sayin :cool:

Trunk lock.jpg

If it is a chronic problem.... I would look for simple mechanical solutions.... DK Customs...you could do this. Just a hook and some chrome rivets/fasteners. No cables. No electronics. No motherboards and microprocessors. Just a latch. Hey! Old Guys..... Remember these? FLH Saddlebag latches. Just sayin :cool:

View attachment 59308

And do you remember the lids flying off willy nilly if there wasn't a bungy cord holding it in place. It was fun watching cars swerve wildly behind me as an object went flying towards them.:qpnmt:

And do you remember the lids flying off willy nilly if there wasn't a bungy cord holding it in place. It was fun watching cars swerve wildly behind me as an object went flying towards them.:qpnmt:

You bet. I was actually going to comment on that when I posted (Knew someone would say it) so.... and because it has hinges and not that goofy little hook, you don't have to worry about the trunk lid flying off...

I built airplanes for a living and simple was always better than complex. Every added mechanical interface and component creates another potential failure mode. Less is more in some cases... maybe this one for somebody clever with a machine shop... if this is a chronic thing. Haven't had the issue on mine.

Did you'all see that joker down in Florida a few weeks back?He stole a car and when the cops stopped him he had a baby monkey clinging to his chest as an accomplice.There's the solution-a trained monkey to shove thru the access gasket to unlatch the trunk. Officer Donut: "License and Registration." Me: Its locked in the trunk which won't open.But I'll send my little monkey here inside to unlock it.Officer Donut: "WhaDa Fu....."

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png