Left blinker flashing very fast ???

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
Yesterday, I was riding, and noticed my left blinker light on dash was blinking very fast... (OK I thought) I have a directional light burnt out, no problem, BUT when I looked at all my lights they were all blinking/flashing, [left & right]..none were burnt out, and all working just fine... WHAT would cause a flasher light to blink (on dash board) fast? Just my left flasher only...

Thanks,

Ronnie

Yesterday, I was riding, and noticed my left blinker light on dash was blinking very fast... (OK I thought) I have a directional light burnt out, no problem, BUT when I looked at all my lights they were all blinking/flashing, [left & right]..none were burnt out, and all working just fine... WHAT would cause a flasher light to blink (on dash board) fast? Just my left flasher only...

Thanks,

Ronnie

Have you checked the blinker fluid lately maybe it's a little low 😃 Sorry dear devil made me do it 😱 Usually like you say it's an indication of a bulb burned out could be that one of the left brake filament is out ?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Are you saying your front and rear directional lights were all blinking bright and at the correct rate? If that is so then looking at the wiring diagram I'd say you have a problem in the combination meter assembly. Either a bad ground or as mentioned possible a bad bulb or connection. Here is the diagram just in case you done' have one.

Turn Signal Lights and Horn Wiring Diagram.jpg

Thank you,

I made a copy of the diagram, I looked at the flashers again this morning, and all are flashing (directionals) like they are supposed too...

I also had a friend ride behind me, and I used the directionals and his reply was that all was well, and both sides were blinking correctly...BUT still my left light on dash was still flashing much faster then the right... Tonight (when dark) I will check again, just to be sure... time to pull out my meter, and check wattage to each bulb...Yesterday I changed out the low beam headlight (burnt out) and while I was working on the bike I did check out all the fuses.. (all were good/did continuity, test on each fuse just to be sure ...)

Thanks for everybodies help!

Ronnie

Are you saying your front and rear directional lights were all blinking bright and at the correct rate? If that is so then looking at the wiring diagram I'd say you have a problem in the combination meter assembly. Either a bad ground or as mentioned possible a bad bulb or connection. Here is the diagram just in case you done' have one.

View attachment 59307

Sorry maybe I said it wrong! The light that was blinking fast was JUST MY DIRECTION LIGHT ON THE DASH BOARD but the blinker(s) were working perfect.. I thought that if a dash light was fast then I'd have a broken bulb, but all lights were acting perfect, front and rear directional signals???

I did just replace a burnt out light bulb in the headlight area yesterday/so that bulb is now working perfect (high beam light)

Ronnie

Sorry maybe I said it wrong! The light that was blinking fast was JUST MY DIRECTION LIGHT ON THE DASH BOARD but the blinker(s) were working perfect.. I thought that if a dash light was fast then I'd have a broken bulb, but all lights were acting perfect, front and rear directional signals???

I did just replace a burnt out light bulb in the headlight area yesterday/so that bulb is now working perfect (high beam light)

Ronnie

That is how I understood your first post Ronnie.

Man it sure sounds like an issue within the combination meter assembly or a ground to it. Since is one effects the one directional light I suspect the light itself but that's just a guess. Have never heard of this problem in all the years I've worked on GL1800s. It's going to be very time consuming and will take some hunting around on this one. I don't even know if those bulbs are replaceable. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Do you have the service manual for you bike? It's the first accessory I buy when acquiring a new toy. :)

That is how I understood your first post Ronnie.

Man it sure sounds like an issue within the combination meter assembly or a ground to it. Since is one effects the one directional light I suspect the light itself but that's just a guess. Have never heard of this problem in all the years I've worked on GL1800s. It's going to be very time consuming and will take some hunting around on this one. I don't even know if those bulbs are replaceable. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Do you have the service manual for you bike? It's the first accessory I buy when acquiring a new toy. :)

Oppp Sorry Jerry,

After reading both post(s) again, this morning, I realize, my return quote back to you was not how I wanted it to sound, (lack of sleep/ will do it to yea!) Many thanks for your return help, this morning I will be looking back into it a bit more! I'll read the schematic that yea sent me, and do some digging in there...O'yea yes I do have the service book, in my garage BUT it's for a 2002 Goldwing, NOT a 2010..dought that will make the difference though..Like I said yesterday, I just changed out a headbeam the other day..(well actually wife did, I couldn't get my hands in there (too big), and she said let me try it, in slides her hand and, pop goes the spring, and out comes a light bulb, replaced the old bulb, with new,

(no touching glass) into the bulb holder, she slids it in, pop goes the spring clip, on goes the rubber ring, clip goes the wiring, and I have lights....Dang she's good!!!

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP! (Yep I'm shouting! thanks)

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carl-FLRT
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png