Tri Glide Tires - Are the stock Harley Tires the best for Rte, 66 Chicago - LA?

Jul 14, 2018
San Diego
Tri Glide Tires - Are the stock Harley Tires the best for Rte, 66 Chicago - LA?

Hello all,

I am putting new tires on the 2010 trike due to expired date code. My trike has 22,200 miles on it so the tread is fine but the stock tires are out of their DOT rating. I am putting new tires for a Rte. 66 trip in a few weeks and will be riding the entire length of the mother road from Chicago - Santa Monica. I suspect that you all know better than most what are the best tires to use on the front and rears for the most comfortable ride. Please let me know what you all have determined, or are the stock Harley tires the best?

Thanks, Todd

Hello all,

I am putting new tires on the 2010 trike due to expired date code. My trike has 22,200 miles on it so the tread is fine but the stock tires are out of their DOT rating. I am putting new tires for a Rte. 66 trip in a few weeks and will be riding the entire length of the mother road from Chicago - Santa Monica. I suspect that you all know better than most what are the best tires to use on the front and rears for the most comfortable ride. Please let me know what you all have determined, or are the stock Harley tires the best?

Thanks, Todd

Todd, I would suggest using an inexpensive all-season radial for the rear. HD uses a Dunlop Signature and I like them myself. The TG comes with 205-65R15, but a 205-70R15 will work just as well. I further suggest you run 20psi cold pressure in the rear tires. Remember, the rear tires are designed for a 4000lb passenger car and not a 1200lb motorcycle.

For the front tire, Avon makes a tire specifically for a Trike called Cobra Trike. I haven't used it personally but have sold a number of them to my customers. The mileage jury is still out but reports are a good ride and easier steering at 36psi.

+1 on a good radial for the rear ... lots of threads here on the tires, a big issue especially on a long trip, is hydro planing. Check out what others are saying. ... for the front the Avon trike tire has been getting rave reviews.

Thanks Guys!

Hey Jim and Fuzzy,

I appreciate the feedback. I don't think I will ever get enough miles on the trike to actually wear out the tread before the DOT date code runs out so that is why I was wondering if there was a preferred front tire for steering and smoother softer riding tires for the rear for my GF in the passenger seat. Hydro planing is a big issue for me but I am not planning on a lot of rain riding but it's true you can spin out in a quarter mile of wet stuff just as easy as riding in it all day!

Thanks Gents!

Todd

I am running the Comfortreds in the rear and the Avon Trike Tire up front.

I have tried a variety of tires over my last 100,000+ miles on TG's, and so far this is the best combination, both for traction and comfort.

***MUCH Better than the OEM tires***

Kevin

I have no complaints on the Dunlop’s. I’m running the Avon on the front, and it’s like a stone. It also wanders with 41psi. Dunlop will replace it next.

I am running the Comfortreds in the rear and the Avon Trike Tire up front.

I have tried a variety of tires over my last 100,000+ miles on TG's, and so far this is the best combination, both for traction and comfort.

***MUCH Better than the OEM tires***

Kevin

The Good Year Assurance Tripple ( later on to be the the comfort tread) Tread took on Michellin Defender and beat it for wet weather handling

This is from when they debuted that tire, When we took that line of tire on it did out sell Micellins Just sayin, it is a darn good tire

What pressures are you running?

Lon

41 on the Avon.

26 on the Comfortreds. I started out at 22 on them, but they had too much sidewall flex. Worked my way up to 26, which is where enough of the sidewall flex went away. Even at 26, they are still a plusher ride than the stockers are at 20 psi.

All PSI above are at about 75 degrees. Reason I mention this is when I'm out on the road, at 90 degrees, I've checked the Comfortreds and they read 28-29 PSI.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png