Seeking advice on cataract replacement lens

Aug 31, 2015
Gloucester, VA
On August 1st I am being measured for the replacement lens for my cataract surgery on August 8th. I am nearsighted. The Dr. says he can get me a lens that would give me near normal distance vision or one that will match the vision in my other eye. The other eye is not a candidate for replacement yet.

My question is, should I go for the distance vision and get the same when the other eye is ready for replacement, or have the new lens match my nearsightedness? Looking for comments from those that have had either method done.

Thanks

I have had one eye done. I asked for distance. Well..I can see real sharp to the end of the hood of my car. I don’t consider that “distance”. Doc said when the eye healed around it, it pulled the lens out of position a nano-hair. I’m highly P.O.’d about it. Plus, the sedative pill they gave me was not enough and the procedure hurt. Had pain in the area for a long time afterwards. This was December 2015. My other eye is in bad need of cataract surgery now but I keep putting it off due to this experience. By the way, my experience is the only negative one I have heard of after talking to a LOT of people about theirs....many who used the same doc - said no problem at all. Not trying to scare you, just stating MY experience. Am still wearing bifocals for both eyes.

On August 1st I am being measured for the replacement lens for my cataract surgery on August 8th. I am nearsighted. The Dr. says he can get me a lens that would give me near normal distance vision or one that will match the vision in my other eye. The other eye is not a candidate for replacement yet.

My question is, should I go for the distance vision and get the same when the other eye is ready for replacement, or have the new lens match my nearsightedness? Looking for comments from those that have had either method done.

Thanks

Not to play devil's advocate (Lord Forgive Me), but, If you get the replacement to match your other eye, what happens when your not replaced eye gets bad enough to fix? Do you have it done to match the replacement, which is basically where it is now? Seems like circular reasoning and you'l end up with worse vision than you have now.

Can't they just make it so your eyes are like new??? Or at least way better than they are?

I just went with the standard lens that Medicare will pay for. The others offered were really expensive. Ended up with very good distance vision, but still have to wear cheaters for reading, etc. ($1.00 a pair at the dollar store). I'm satisfied. The wife's didn't work out quite so well for either far or near vision, but she has the beginnings of macular degeneration going on also. Doing good on mine, but had a retina detach twice within three weeks on my dominant eye, which has sucked big time. Will be September sometime before I'm back to normal there.

I had both eyes cataracts removed best thing I ever did went with regular lenses and but cheap readers at Wally World, dr's. advice no need to spend big bucks on readers. I have even found safety sun glasses with 2X magnifiers, they are really nice Laurel Eye Clinic in PA world class care they do a lot of work. out patient longer in recovery than anything. Choose wisely for service provider ask for references and testmonials Good luck. Fred

Eye surgery is not something to go into half-assed. About 3 years ago I had cataract removal/lens replacement, both eyes. I discussed the procedure with at least 5 different doctors in 3 different "clinics" over a period of 2 or 3 months. While my out of pocket expense (after insurance) certainly was a factor the primary consideration was which doctor did I feel the most comfortable with.

I had both my eyes done, I had a stigmatism. I could have got the lenses the insurance would have paid for a still needed to wear glasses. I had another option to pay for lenses that would fix my eyes and make them equal with 20/20 vision.

I no longer wear glasses and see very well. except for my age I still need readers. otherwise I am very happy I paid the extra for lenses that fixed my eyes.

Both eyes done last year through VA lenses for near sight. Before like looking through foggy glasses after colors just seem to pop. one eye went back to 20/20 the other 20/30 but one compensates for the other. couldn't be more pleased. I still buy readers for up close but thats okay. I had choice over two different lenses one correct near sighted but probably need readers the other may fix both but could cause halo's at night didn't want to chance the latter. Pick wisely good luck.

Good info here

My eyes are getting pretty cloudy, last exam 4 years ago

The Dr said wear your sun glasses this is the major reason for this problem

Got to get mine done soon hard to read and see long distances again

I had both my eyes done, I had a stigmatism. I could have got the lenses the insurance would have paid for a still needed to wear glasses. I had another option to pay for lenses that would fix my eyes and make them equal with 20/20 vision.

I no longer wear glasses and see very well. except for my age I still need readers. otherwise I am very happy I paid the extra for lenses that fixed my eyes.

That's pretty much my story too. I paid $1k for each eye. Now see perfectly from about arm's length out to infinity.

My lenses are called Toric IOL's.

Good info here

My eyes are getting pretty cloudy, last exam 4 years ago

The Dr said wear your sun glasses this is the major reason for this problem

Got to get mine done soon hard to read and see long distances again
Jack get them done you will love seeing again red is not burnt orange white is not yellow and clothes look clean. And the stars on headlights are not near as large. Be careful who does your eyes get references and check well travel safe Fred

Thanks for the replies everyone. This Dr. is highly recommended.

Now, I have even more questions for him when I go for the pre-op measurements.

I would really like to ditch my eye glasses, I just have this fear of someone working on my eyes....I know most eye surgeon's have it down to a science , And most can even do it while you wait ..;)..But still you have to trust that you picked the right surgeon...

Jack get them done you will love seeing again red is not burnt orange white is not yellow and clothes look clean. And the stars on headlights are not near as large. Be careful who does your eyes get references and check well travel safe Fred

Fred, If I have it done it will be @ the Mayo Clinic here in Jacksonville;)

I cannot say enuff good things about them

Since my wife started working there 21 years ago they have been amazing people

They have really made huge advancements in this area. I wish I had known I could get corrective lenses and not just replacement lenses. But my insurance at the time wouldn't pay for corrective and no one asked about it either. I just couldn't see much at all so it was done. But if I knew and had a choice, I'd get whatever the doc thought might get perfect vision. If I still had to gave glasses after, so what. I have trifocals now so if I got back to bifocals that would still be an improvement. In my case I had to have one done and then the other anyway. They won't do both at the same time because there is always a chance for something to go wrong. But even if one wasn't a candidate at the time I'd still opt for the best corrective lens possible. You could always keep one eye closed to see perfectly if needed then and doubt it would be that bad overall anyway. Just my opinion but one thing you must do is your homework and use the best doc you can find. Drive a little if you must. It will be worth the effort. There are no guarantees though. Keep that in mind. But they have it down to a science now. I wouldn't be surprised to see this the next robotic surgery.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png