Brake job / Resufacing without turning

triwinggirl

500+ Posts
Jun 26, 2010
Las vegas Nevada
I going to resurface my brakes soon. my forks have been leaking and brakes build up a glaze.

The surfaces are smooth just glazed. i got new brakes, a resurfacing kit to clean them up. The kit has scuff disc's in it to brake the glaze with and clean the surface. Also a hone for resurfacing brakes to put a cross hatch pattern on them.

I found this hone at sears but you can also get it at amazon. It fits in any drill.

I'm doing it myself because they don't need to be turned, just need to brake the glaze. i heard about how to do this on another site. Came highly recommended.

Also going to fix my broken forks that should be on the way. :pray:

Ups lost them, but today they say they have them :pray:

I will update

Oh yea i got those new crush washers for my brakes and am going to change them all and use my new brake bleeder and fix my brakes.

Also going to permanently disable the ADV device this time

Thinking about using a car tire on the front next change.

Last edited:
Re: Brake job / Resufurfacing without turning

I going to resurface my brakes soon. my forks have been leaking and brakes build up a glaze.

The surfaces are smooth just glazed. i got new brakes, a resurfacing kit to clean them up. The kit has scuff disc's in it to brake the glaze with and clean the surface. Also a hone for resurfacing brakes to put a cross hatch pattern on them.

I found this hone at sears but you can also get it at amazon. It fits in any drill.

I'm doing it myself because they don't need to be turned, just need to brake the glaze. i heard about how to do this on another site. Came highly recommended.

Also going to fix my broken forks that should be on the way. :pray:

Ups lost them, but today they say they have them :pray:

I will update

Oh yea i got those new crush washers for my brakes and am going to change them all and use my new brake bleeder and fix my brakes.

Also going to permanently disable the ADV device this time

Thinking about using a car tire on the front next change.

Lots of work but sounds like you have it under control. Great job.

I got the rear finished except for the bleeding. I had to use a right angle drill to use the hone.

Wow does that hone work great. Nice fresh surface for the new brakes to grab a hold of and stop.

I working on the front now and installing the new forks. I will have to change the cap's and put my prgresive spring in them. While i have them open i will drain out the oil and put in a 15W oil.

I going to take out my factory rear shock, it only had 16,000 miles on it. I will be selling it.

Re: Brake job / Resurfacing without turning

I got the forks and new brakes installed yesterday. I decided to just change the fork caps for my ez-steer. I did not change the oil it was so clean just couldn't. My progressive springs were wore out from riding on nothing but springs for so long. So i left the stock ones in.

i was able to resurface all the rotors both sides WOW does that hone work great. Beautiful fresh surfaces for the new brakes to grab a hold of so cool.

I will be putting the front wheel back on and replacing the front crush washers. then all that is left is to bleed and change out the brake fluid.

It is going to be so cool to be able to stop and have suspension again

Thank you again for all the support and encouragment :Monster:

I am in awe! I do change my oil, etc. but I sure don't have your skills! Way to go---very cool to be able to do all that yourself!!!!

Skills are one thing but I've never used a brake bleeder before and am apprehensive about it. I have no one to teach me and no one to help do it the old fashion way.

So I'm kinda stalled. :gah:

Got the rotors resurfaced though the hone works real good brakes are gonna work once i get them bleed.

The new forks look great looking forward to a smooth ride again ThumbUp

Stopping should be fun to, can get those new shoes now i guess :rolleyes::giggle:

Part of the trouble is I've been having more trouble with my headaches lately and i have to double check all my work several times. It would be nice to have some one watching my back that knows what they are doing and could help me with my confidence and make sure i don't screw up so much.

I end up doing a lot of things over cause i forgot something. It always gets done right it just takes me so long now. what used to take hours now takes days. just don't have the strength and confidence i used to. Spend a lot of time checking what I've done and what I'm going to do in the manual so i don't screw it up. Some times just stop cause tierd. I guess i'm getting OLD and BROKEN

Last edited:

Skills are one thing but I've never used a brake bleeder before and am apprehensive about it. I have no one to teach me and no one to help do it the old fashion way.

So I'm kinda stalled. :gah:

Got the rotors resurfaced though the hone works real good brakes are gonna work once i get them bleed.

The new forks look great looking forward to a smooth ride again ThumbUp

Stopping should be fun to, can get those new shoes now i guess :rolleyes::giggle:

Part of the trouble is I've been having more trouble with my headaches lately and i have to double check all my work several times. It would be nice to have some one watching my back that knows what they are doing and could help me with my confidence and make sure i don't screw up so much.

I end up doing a lot of things over cause i forgot something. It always gets done right it just takes me so long now. what used to take hours now takes days. just don't have the strength and confidence i used to. Spend a lot of time checking what I've done and what I'm going to do in the manual so i don't screw it up. Some times just stop cause tierd. I guess i'm getting OLD and BROKEN

Hang in there. You an inspiration to us all. I do the same thing redoing.

Was a lot depressed yesterday and didn't get anything done. going to try today to put things together; but I'm going to be stuck when it comes to the bleeding i have no help. I'm changing the fluid and all the crush washers. Never used a bleeder before, I'm sure it will go very quick once i try it.

I will not give up i will keep trying until it is finish and right. ThumbUp

Depression be damned, we use that a lot here damn damn, damn bridge, damned lake, so on. it's a running joke here no cursing intended :rolleyes::giggle::gah:

Update: got it together now going to study up on using the bleeder. Kinda got to use it this time. Return 2 others cause just didn't like the hand pump type. still thats the kind the manual says to use and all i could afford so here goes nothing.

Anxiety is a itch all worried until you actually do it, then it's no problem. ThumbUp

It's always kind of a achievement for me when i teach myself to do some thing. ThumbUp

I think i figured out how to use the bleeder, but it getting a little wet outside.

Last edited:
Well as expected i learned how to use the bleeder. WOW does that thing work Good. I was able to help my roommate learn to fill reservoirs and push pedals and it only took a couple hours.

So cool i just might be able to stop again.

Thank you all for allowing my to work out my frustrations and anxieties, without calling me a Whiner. I just needed to talk it out even if all i did was post and mostly talk to myself.

Talking helps me work things out ThumbUp

:BlessU:

Well as expected i learned how to use the bleeder. WOW does that thing work Good. I was able to help my roommate learn to fill reservoirs and push pedals and it only took a couple hours.

So cool i just might be able to stop again.

Thank you all for allowing my to work out my frustrations and anxieties, without calling me a Whiner. I just needed to talk it out even if all i did was post and mostly talk to myself.

Talking helps me work things out ThumbUp

:BlessU:

CONGRATS I had no dought that you would succeed.

Well it's raining this weekend and i'm going to remove the rear shock and finished putting things together. What fun? :banghead:

I'll take a pic when the tank and shock are out and she is mostly gutted :AGGHH:

Thinking i'm going to have to make something eventually to cover the hole left from the shock. What do yu all think?

Yea whining a little :banghead: Damn rain :banghead: :gah:

Hi wheels and thank you all for the support. Rocker: :yourock:

Re: Brake job / Resurfacing without turning/ Finished

Got the shock out and everything put back together, GoldWing is so cool. ThumbUp

What a day, i cleaned the air filter and while I had the top off i pulled the gas tank. So i could get the rear shock out. While i was there. I tried to get the pivot off but the exhaust had something else to say about it. so the pivot is still on. :Shrug:

GoldWing are really pretty easy to work on just lots of cloths on the trike once you get through to the skeleton everything is right there.

My first tank removal, it went real good and went back in fast. had a very productive day. Even changed my oil. ThumbUp

All that is left is to put the rear fenders on and I'll do that tomorrow, take an hour or so? ThumbUp

Then it's Riding time.

:Trike:

Rained all day loved it my head does not hurt as much when it rains, something to do with pressure. ThumbUp

Here's some pics

Attachment 2915

Attachment 2916

Attachment 2917

Update finished today and test rode fronts grabbed great, but the rear would not lock up need to bleed a little more but more than ridable. the new brake stop, and the new forks don't leak. a very good job

Thank you all for the support it helped me stay motivated. i have some errands to do tomorrow then i will re bleed the rear easy at this point.

Finished putting her cloths on today so i guess that means i messed up and fixed her again. Got a ride for those errands. Still raining kinda stready now, fun but hard to ride in, would rather stay in. But she fixed and ready to go.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png