alternator

Dragon

250+ Posts
Dec 28, 2010
oly,wa
good afternoon, i need to replace my alternator, how many others have changed theirs. did you replace it with a standard amp, or did you get a bigger one. how hard or easy to change.

Thanx

Dragon

I would call Richard at TMS and ask him for pointers on the repair. Probably more time will be spent removing the protective rock guard than working on the R&R of the alternator but I also have not had to make this repair. Tomg

good afternoon, i need to replace my alternator, how many others have changed theirs. did you replace it with a standard amp, or did you get a bigger one. how hard or easy to change.

Thanx

Dragon

How many miles on your Stallion? Is it an '08? I think I have only seen only a couple that replaced alternator. A standard '07 Ranger should work.

Last edited:
Thanx

# 146 2008. 66k.

it all started when I replaced my digital readout. volts always read 14.4. and I could not get air to work correctly at all, I had engine buzz in stereo. but then all of a sudden the volt meter started showing low voltage, not charging and then charging when you only rev engine, engine noise really bad in stereo. those are my problems. it is not like you can raise the hood check battery, pull off wires inspect them all that, all ranger videos show battery and alternator right there for checking :). they don't show somebody standing on their head with their arm stuck up in the engine just to find the alternator let alone test it. I am getting too fat for this phew. let you know what happens

Dragon

I'd stick with an OE replacement. No real need to "upgrade" to a higher output alt unless you've got a LOT of electrical add ons that are pulling the system down currently.

I would check voltage output @ the alternator @ idle and on throttle, be a little easier than pulling it to have bench tested. As far as removal, the worst part is the accessory belt. Easy enough to get to it from the top, unbolt the a/c compressor & lift up and out of your way and you can get to the alternator from the top side. It is tight, but very doable & not much different from a lot of vehicles out there today overall.

Have you added any aftermarket speakers, amp, etc? I would also check & double check both positive and negative connections both at the battery and @ the alternator. As intermittent as your issue seems to be I'd almost expect to find a loose wire to be the culprit.

Good morning

Thanks for the information Richard. output is fine digital readout does not show what is really happening with system charging.

Thanks

Dragon

Good morning

Thanks for the information Richard. output is fine digital readout does not show what is really happening with system charging.

Thanks

Dragon

My voltage readout was erratic a few years ago and the battery cable was loose. If you haven't you can look through the left wheel and check it out. Hope you find a solution.

Hello

I have been through the wiring ground system added grounds and made sure they were all good. alt checks good. my digital readout reads 14.4 volts all the time, rarely changes, goes to 14.1 sometimes. air pressure gage will start off at say 10 psi, 2 blocks down the road it could read 25, another 2 blocks it could read 0. gremlins, asked Richard no help with this problem. new digital readout, new transducer, new dump valve, new air lines.:(

Dragon

Alternator seems good. Mine with fluctuate between 14.0 and 14.2. As for the pressure, mine starts at 15, I pump it up to 25 to 30, it will drop down a couple of times and I'll pump it back to 25 until it stabilizes at 25. Then it will stay there for several hours if not all day. Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png