Oil mist on my rear cylinder exhaust heat shield and right side fender

Fitter

10+ Posts
Jul 10, 2018
Ruffin NC USA
Oil mist on my rear cylinder exhaust heat shield and right side fender

I got a moderate oil mist on my heat shield and right side fender right before my 1K service. My service manager said don't worry nothing was found and it won't happen again.

200 miles later it has happened again. I want my oil in the engine not on my engine.

Whats up here?

I don't ride hard.

I got a moderate oil mist on my heat shield and right side fender right before my 1K service. My service manager said don't worry nothing was found and it won't happen again.

200 miles later it has happened again. I want my oil in the engine not on my engine.

Whats up here?

I don't ride hard.

Is the bottom of your air cleaner wet with oil....If it is its a good chance you are have whats know as blow-by...Sometimes over filling the crankcase will cause that...

With all my bikes i always kept the oil half way on the dip stick....

Sure sounds like blow-by, like rhino, always kept the oil level half way up the stick. Another possibility is a loose or broken breather hose inside the air cleaner.

Checking now but service was done by dealer. will respond.

YES! Ran my fingers under air cleaner assembly and came up with oil WTH.

How do I reduce my oil once it's in there?

That was stupid...

Best way to reduce oil?

I'm not the most mechanically inclined.

Naa, Not stupid, Just Piss off a little and not thinking at the moment...

Even after all my years monkeying around with stuff, I'll sometimes draw a blank..:laugh:....Why just the other day i said to my Wife Honey your not loading the dish washer the right way...:ranting:

Jim, Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out

Chances are VERY good a tech over filled it with oil

Let them get this on record and make it right for you

Buy a manual and learn how to service your fluids, it is a good way to get to know your trike.

Trust me it is NOT that hard to do and you will know it has been done right;)

Thank you Jack will do.

I suppose I do trust the dealer too much as I do want things done right....but!

I'll take you're advice and go back tomorrow, thanks.

Jim, Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out

Chances are VERY good a tech over filled it with oil

Let them get this on record and make it right for you

Buy a manual and learn how to service your fluids, it is a good way to get to know your trike.

Trust me it is NOT that hard to do and you will know it has been done right;)

+1 ... make the HD guys fix it, it will help the tech learn and maybe prevent it from happening to someone else.

After your warrantee is up ... add a crank case breather kit ... have all the crack case vapors go out of your engine instead of on top of your pistons. I couldn't find it, but, kevin at DK Custom Products has a video that shows what happens when the oil vapors go into the engine inlet ... pretty convincing to do this mod, and it's fairly easy.

Naa, Not stupid, Just Piss off a little and not thinking at the moment...

Even after all my years monkeying around with stuff, I'll sometimes draw a blank..:laugh:....Why just the other day i said to my Wife Honey your not loading the dish washer the right way...:ranting:

So how many knots on yer head ??? :laugh:

Just to update I went back to dealer yesterday they took me right in. Disassembled air cleaner and found the filter clean but oil laying in bottom of housing. After inspection found nothing amiss and put it back together.

Told me that they're aware of the problem and that trikes seem to be worse on it than others, They wouldn't advise running a 1/2 quart low on the oil (not surprised here) but told me to keep my revs up, to try shifting in the 3k / 3.5k range and not to bog the engine.

We shall see I'm not hopeful...

I would change the filter out in a heartbeat but don't want warranty problems but I do admit that the photo's of valves and piston in that piece from DK give me the willies...that just ain't right Harley!

Thanks all for your wisdom and help!

It's full but as we speak my wife is looking for the turkey baster!!

I can't see that dropping the oil level a little with the way I ride hurting anything.

It's full but as we speak my wife is looking for the turkey baster!!

I can't see that dropping the oil level a little with the way I ride hurting anything.

You know that the factory recommends keeping the oil level Between the add and full line.....Back in 08 When the Can-Am Spyder's first came out..And being it attracted a large percentage of owners who never had a Bike/Trike...Checking a dip stick every other day was a novelty to them, So at all cost they would always keep the oil at the full mark...And a funny thing started to happen, Oil would start dripping out of the air filter box....So much so that they started calling it lovingly ;The Oil Box......Once they got over the i gotta keep it at the very top...The blow-by ended..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png