My Trike Riding Experience

frankj

90+ Posts
Aug 24, 2013
Williamsburg MA USA
Had no trike riding experience when I had my Valkyrie converted with a Roadsmith kit. I also wanted to experience riding it with no rake kit, I wanted to feel the before and after and see if there worth it. First day I practiced turning and steering in my back yard, was not good stalled a bunch of times when doing tight turns and kept putting my leg down! Think that was happening because of the effort to steer the trike especially on grass, first day was not good, disappointing at best.

Second day was much better, now understanding the amount of effort and convincing myself to keep your feet on the trike it won't fall over, and knowing you can make incredible tight turns easily.

Third day went on rural roads and was pleased that everything was feeling good, expected the effort to steer the trike with no rake.

Fourth day did a longer ride, this time going in to city traffic, interstate highways, and a tough one, weaving around cars in a large gas station, the pump island etc. Felt after this day I was comfortable and confident in riding a trike, total mileage riding to reach this level was 70 miles.

I then had a 8 degree triple tree rake kit installed and it's beyond words what this does for the trike. I am so glad I waited to have it installed so I can truly appreciate the difference. What can I say that you don't already know, the ride is now perfect.

I know some people say you don't need a rake kit on your trike, true, but there is no logical reason not to have one.

Frank

Valkyrie8DegreeRake.jpg

Interesting and a thankful post, as I (and I'm sure many others out there, thought the same thing).....When I changed over my 2010 Goldwing into a trike, I also had zero riding time on a three wheeled M/C...

The builder also (sold me a 5.5 degree front end easysteer) I honestly "thought" that he was kinda BS'ing me and trying to make more money.. His returned answer to me was:

out of the 100% of customers that he had put the "easysteer" front end on the bike, nobody came back and wanted it changed back to stock. BUT 50%ish of those came back and wanted him to replace the stock to the easy steer.. Soooo I took his word for it, and very glad that I did, cause I would'nt want it any harder to steer then it is now!! FIRST FULL SEASON WITH A TRIKE, NOW AND WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO TWO WHEELS!

Ronnie

Great lookin' trike Frank.ThumbUp

Thanks for sharing such a detailed report summary. That was a great approach to understanding your personal learning curve.

Enjoy the ride.ThumbUp

Americade

Were you at the Americade rally this year???? I believe I saw your bike (or one that looked like it) on Canada Street :clapping:

Ronnie

I was parked there many times, walked around checking out the bikes and looked for your black GW Roadsmith and a Massachusetts plate, but didn't see it

Hello Frank

welcome to trike talk from east Texas, oh I can relate to your post. I had a gl1500 triked out with 6 deg. rake. I had never road a trike of any kind. for the first couple of hrs. I thought I had made a high $$$ mistake, but it all come together and have had only fun, fun ever sense. that was in 2012. ( my installer is a rider instructor, he teaches 2 wheeler, trikes & side cars.) when I told him I have never road a trike he told me I needed to take a class and I ask how much , his answer was you pay the paper work $ 25, best think I did by far. for new triker's I tell them to practice, practice & practice some more.

keep in the middle of your lain and remember how wide you back fenders are

Frank nice trike. Thank you for posting your experience. Not many people can give the before and after report that verifies what we all say about adding the rake kit.

I was parked there many times, walked around checking out the bikes and looked for your black GW Roadsmith and a Massachusetts plate, but didn't see it

Come meet me at Scotty'ies restaurant Golfcourse, we go there quite often... I don't golf, but the food there is excellent, then off we go for a ride, somewhere :)

Somehow we always get lost, in those back roads......lov it!!

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png