Starting Question

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Mar 23, 2014
Kennesaw, Ga.
Just had my 2013 TriGlide in for Total Service and they said all was good. I keep it on a Tender after I ride. I've noticed lately when I start it, I get a Hesitation one or two times, but it starts with the starter button still pushed in. I don't have to let up and try it again. I just have the small Hesitation. Is this normal on an older Trike :Shrug: Anything need to worry about :Shrug:

Thanks,

One sure way to find out is hook a volt meter to the battery

See what the stall voltage is when you start it

If it drops below 10.5 volts you best think about a new battery

To be fair check your battery voltage before test, if it is @ 12.5 volts or higher continue with the test, any less than that will give you a false reading

Starter stall can be attributed to a lot of things including over heated starters and loose connections

Do be sure to check them

Too many riders take this for granted IE if it aint broken do not mess with it

Thanks Jack. You would Think the Service Tech checked the battery and voltage on the service :Shrug:

I haven't even taken it out for a ride yet after the service was done. I just like to start it up every other day or so in the garage. It was doing this before the service also.

Thanks again,

Thanks Jack. You would Think the Service Tech checked the battery and voltage on the service :Shrug:

I haven't even taken it out for a ride yet after the service was done. I just like to start it up every other day or so in the garage. It was doing this before the service also.

Thanks again,

Wondering why you start it up "every other day or so"? I don't start mine until I can ride it. When not riding it is on a tender.

One sure way to find out is hook a volt meter to the battery

See what the stall voltage is when you start it

If it drops below 10.5 volts you best think about a new battery

To be fair check your battery voltage before test, if it is @ 12.5 volts or higher continue with the test, any less than that will give you a false reading

Starter stall can be attributed to a lot of things including over heated starters and loose connections

Do be sure to check them

Too many riders take this for granted IE if it aint broken do not mess with it

Jack,

Do the TriGlides have an issue with battery connection becoming loose from vibration like the two wheelers seem to have ??

I don't see many Triglides for service in my shop so I really don't know.

Jack,

Do the TriGlides have an issue with battery connection becoming loose from vibration like the two wheelers seem to have ??

Unknown, but if I have to make a guess I would say yes due to the some what hard hitting rear axle

I check mine @ every oil change, I hate surprises on the road;)

Jack,

I guess It depends on who tighten them.....On both my Tri-Glides i pig tailed a connection for a heated jacket as soon as i got them home....And both times they were clams ass tight before and after pig tailing..

Bob, it's the Original that came with it. 2013 It shows Full Charge.

I would replace the battery.... For around 100 bucks its cheep insurance...

Charge it and let it sit for an hour or two to take the top charge off ...Then check it with a meter...Anything 12.5 or under its ready to be replaced...A full charged battery should read 12.8 +....

Most Harley dealers can load test your battery. Several years ago I was having similar issues with my 2007 CVO Ultra. I thought it was the starter as the battery was not all that old and I always kept it on a tender. Took it to dealer to check out and they told me battery was bad. Even had a print out - kinda like a receipt you get from a cash register.

Truthfully I did not believe them but went ahead and ordered a new Big Crank Deka battery from https://www.batterymart.com/

Lo and behold that solved the problem. No more hesitation when cranking. Bet the battery is your problem.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png