Time for a Fluid change?

Sep 3, 2015
DALLAS
I only ride about 2-3 hrs each year. Should I do a yearly fluid/filter(oil, radiator etc) change. It has been 2 years since I last had the dealer do a fluid change. I may just have the dealer do a fluid check this year with my yearly state required inspection. Thanks.

The problem with low miles is that people tend to not do the fluid changes. Almost every fluid on the trike is subject to condensation, oils probably more than coolant. With the coolant, I would be more worried about aluminum corrosion.

I know it sounds nuts, but, I think I would do engine oil yearly. Clutch and break fluid like every 2-3 years along with Coolant.

If you read your owners manual, I will give you recommended miles and years for changing stuff. The time recommendations are for the lower mileage people to minimize the above issues.

Disclaimer: I am a firm believer of doing recommended maintenance ... your trike will last longer and give you less issues. You could probably get away with less, so, ultimately, you gotta decide.

Thanks.

All great advice. I just checked with my dealer and I have had no fluid changes, only fluid top offs in the 3 years I have owned my 2001 Goldwing Trike. Yikes. I will have them do a complete fluid change with the inspection next week. Should I do transmission too?

Since you didn't specify which fluids you were going to change, I am going to recommend that after three years you have the brake and clutch fluids replaced. Brake fluid is extremely hydroscopic and has probably absorbed some water.

Note: you really are not riding often enough to keep tires, all rubber hoses, etc. lubricated. If at all possible set up a 20 mile course and take the time each month to drive the trike over that course; less than an hour. Sitting is the worst thing that can happen to mechanical equipment and your Gold Wing is no different. Just my .02.

I only ride about 2-3 hrs each year. Should I do a yearly fluid/filter(oil, radiator etc) change. It has been 2 years since I last had the dealer do a fluid change. I may just have the dealer do a fluid check this year with my yearly state required inspection. Thanks.

Mark, get the service all done and ride that rascal to Kerrville for our TrikeTalk meet and greet the first week of October! Hope to see you there.

Hey Mark. Did you have the brake recall completed a couple years ago? If so the dealer was supposed to do a total brake system purge and fill after replacing the rear master cylinder. I'd suggest you still have that fluid checked to see if it's become contaminated.

Setting up a scheduled longer ride once a month is a VERY GOOD idea.. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png