I would like YOUR INPUT for a future story in RoadRUNNER Magazine!

Aug 8, 2018
Muskego
I would like YOUR INPUT for a future story in RoadRUNNER Magazine!

Greetings all, as you may, (or may not) recall from my new member introduction, I was a journalist/tour & test rider for RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Magazine. I was, in fact, the one who "introduced" trikes to our readers with a story about Lehman Trikes way back in April of 2010, followed with several cross country tours on the same.

Well, as fate should have it I am officially "back in the saddle again." That's right RoadRUNNER wants me to get back out there on those trikes for more test's and tour's! I guess your really are…never too old.

That's where you all come in: My first article is going to be a "side-by-side" comparison of the different trike/multi-wheel configuration's on the market. We have already determined that there will be; a Can-Am, Slingshot, LegUp, and a Lehman (or HD unit). I would also like to inclued one of the "out-rigger" style rig's as well, those that maintain the motorcycles drive wheel. There is where I would like your input: Which of these DIY units do you recommend for this test?

Please let me know, and be assured, your opinions will be considered. More than that, I will be adding the "selected" rig to my personal bike (Suzuki Burgman 650) for use in this comparison test, which should be very good publicity for the manufacture as well. After that the Burgman, and I will depart on our next cross-country tour.

FYI: I am not going to include any of the numerous Chinese machines like Ice Bear's.

Thank's

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if you would be able to post your articles on Trike Talk. You would have a lot of readers here. Have you considered becoming a Gold Club member?

As the Burgman, Silverwing , are considered as scooters, the real trike outlook is like nite n day. As far as the ice bear is concerned, it can replace the golf cart for getting the mail.

Your artical add, to add, my 2012 HD with the factory Lehman set up , needs lots of work in order to be an enjoyable ride. The rear suspension as being a straight axle , needs coil over shocks. The motor is a big slug, unless you buy a inritching tuner for it. Then there is the air intake and exhaust mod to accept the tuner. If your into the electric motor reverse, be prepaired to replace it daily, or get a real mechanical gear reverse. The saddle is ok, but improvement is needed.

Bottom line , be prepared to spend 2k to have it your way, over and above your initial investment.

I think another story line would be, Why people buy/ride trikes...Which by the way most main stream magazines ignore.....Like a red headed stepchild..

Even the Harley magazine HOG makes no mention of Trikes...:Shrug:

Probably better left ignored. I wouldn't be surprised that 90 percent of the people ridin trikes wish they weren't.

Wishing and reality are two different things' Bill....Do i wish i was 25 again...Yep...

Do i wish i could ride my EX-Bussa, You bet, But then that thing called reality kicks in..

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant why people ride trikes. And my first thought was they have to. I would say an interesting pole would be, would you ride a trike if you didn't have to. I know people will say they wish they had done it sooner. But reality says they wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't a last resort.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant why people ride trikes. And my first thought was they have to. I would say an interesting pole would be, would you ride a trike if you didn't have to. I know people will say they wish they had done it sooner. But reality says they wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't a last resort.

This is good stuff folk's, keep it coming, I am reading every post. I can't post my stories here on line (or anywhere else for that matter) because of contractual agreements. But you can get "tid-bits" from RoadRUNNERS web site. Yet, there is nothing stoping me from dropping in a line or two: I remember when I took the trike rider's course (2010) at Lehman's in Spearfish SD. the instructors first words to me were, "it is easier for us to teach a person who has never ridden a motorcycle to ride a trike, than one who has ridden for 30 or 40 years." At that point in my life (pre-transplant) I didn't "need" a trike, and I treated the whole idea with scorn, to be sure. BUT...after several hours carving the curves of the black hills, and racing through patch's of gravel, I was sold, and rode nothing but trikes for the rest of my tour's. No regrets.

Guess I am the exception to the last resort. Drove 2-wheelers since I was 28 years old. Last 2-wheeler was a Vulcan Nomad 1700.

Husband got a Gold Wing GL1800 trike due to his becoming physically weaker. I LOVED that thing from the moment I climbed on it! Bought myself one. I could ride/drive a GW GL1800 2-wheeler as long as the shiny side stayed up...but there are times, such as a quick hard stop, feet on gravel, slow parking lot turn...that I would be afraid I would drop it....and there would not be 10men and a little boy around to help a small, mature lady pick it up!

So...bottom line.... YES I love 2-wheel riding and still can - BUT - I ride a GL1800 trike because I like the power and the comfort and security of knowing I can’t drop it.

This is good stuff folk's, keep it coming, I am reading every post. I can't post my stories here on line (or anywhere else for that matter) because of contractual agreements. But you can get "tid-bits" from RoadRUNNERS web site. Yet, there is nothing stoping me from dropping in a line or two: I remember when I took the trike rider's course (2010) at Lehman's in Spearfish SD. the instructors first words to me were, "it is easier for us to teach a person who has never ridden a motorcycle to ride a trike, than one who has ridden for 30 or 40 years." At that point in my life (pre-transplant) I didn't "need" a trike, and I treated the whole idea with scorn, to be sure. BUT...after several hours carving the curves of the black hills, and racing through patch's of gravel, I was sold, and rode nothing but trikes for the rest of my tour's. No regrets.

The instructor was right. Teaching a old dog new tricks, just doesn’t happen.

When I was in the trades, the best tecnitions were greenhorns.

Even if I could still ride 2 wheels I feel more stable on my trike, plus riding all day is more comfortable for me

I find myself shifting positions on my seat alot

I remember on 2 wheels this became anoying

I started riding about four years ago. I started on a two wheeler but it just wasn't fun for me. The second I sat on a trike, everything changed. Riding became fun. I am fully capable of riding a two wheeler. It's just not for me.

My first trike was a Spyder RT. Although I loved the Spyder and learned a lot about riding from it, I test rode a Triglide and knew it was the one I wanted.

Happy with my choice.

I could ride 2 wheels, if I wanted to. But I would NOT give up my Tri, just too much fun, less worries about traction, more visible to the distracted cagers and the view from the saddle is the same as on 2 wheels.

I could ride 2 wheels, if I wanted to. But I would NOT give up my Tri, just too much fun, less worries about traction, more visible to the distracted cagers and the view from the saddle is the same as on 2 wheels.

As I dig into this more I have noticed that three names keep popping up: Richland Roadster/TrikeAmerica, Tow Pac and MTC Voyager. Have any of you had experience with these kits, either positive, or negative? Also, I have heard reports about excessive tire ware because of these conversions. Is that true? If so, is it one brand over another? Thank's

Wayne I had a tow pac on a 650 burgman and was very satisfied with the ride. Did not have it long enough to comment on tire wear. I would expect that would depend a lot on how good of an alignment job was done on the install. Gas mileage suffered down to mid 40's MPG.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png