Hot Front Tire on the Wing

Jul 27, 2018
Olympia, WA, USA
New issue I'm concerned about. I've had the '08 Wing with a '11 Lehman conversion for a a few weeks now and I'm noticing the front tire gets very warm after just a short ride. Not so hot that it would burn your hand but warmer than I would think. Is this just the nature of the beast and having to steer a trike? Do your trikes heat up the front tire considerably? TIA.

All tires will heat up a little bit especially in the summer that's the work of friction ..Also you get a little bit of heat off the rotors from braking .📞

New issue I'm concerned about. I've had the '08 Wing with a '11 Lehman conversion for a a few weeks now and I'm noticing the front tire gets very warm after just a short ride. Not so hot that it would burn your hand but warmer than I would think. Is this just the nature of the beast and having to steer a trike? Do your trikes heat up the front tire considerably? TIA.

Tire heat is a good thing to a point. Running low air pressure might give you a good ride but can cause excessive heat and cause the carcass of the tire to fail. Make sure you run at least 38 psi cold pressure. I prefer 42 psi myself because the 130/70R18 tires only have a load rating of 600 lbs at 41 psi. They get that 600 lbs just riding down the road in a straight line.

Too much toe in.

But seriously …. keep it near 40 psi, 38-42 and understand that your rounded MC tire will carry a lot of weight in the center of the tread and will build some heat as that area scrubs pavement and flexes.

If your comparing a 2 wheeler and a trike then yes the trike tire will heat up more IF you both riding in some twisties. His tire is just leaning over. Yours is fighting some resistance. be sure you running at least 40 psi. this wi give your tire longevity. I run BT 45 It has 27,000 miles on and looks brand new.

Just my .02

Heat will build up however, what do you mean by "a short ride"? How far???

Also on front tire pressure. I found the "sweet spot" for my Wing/Hannigan with BT45 reverse mounted, with 4.5 deg rake and stock fork parts to be 38psi. 42psi gave a "harsh" front end!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png