which windshield?

jfred

10+ Posts
Apr 9, 2018
Deatsville
Is there a windshield out there that will help eliminate buffeting for the passenger? I have the DK wings but need more help.

Thanks, Jackie

Is there a windshield out there that will help eliminate buffeting for the passenger? I have the DK wings but need more help.

Thanks, Jackie
We use a Long Ride Shields: Flat Top Elite my bride doesn't like any thought of changing. good luck on your search. Fred by the way one shield is 9" is cold weather and the other is 6" Warm weather

DSC00124.JPGDSC00553.JPGDSC00556.JPG

I'm also chiming in on the LRS windshield.ThumbUp I have the Ultra Flat Top (I think that's what it is called). Similar to the one shown by Fearless but it is even wider at the top along with a flare at the top. I had put a 11.5 in Klock Werks Flare windshield on my 2016 when I bought it and my wife did not like it. She said she was getting some turbulence so I went with the 11 in. Ultra Flat Top from LRS as I had a Flat Top Elite from LRS on my 2011 TG and liked it.

2016 Deep Jade Green TG

Thanks, Jackie

I like both Long Ride Shields (LRS) and Freedom Shields (FS). I have an 8 inch LRS Ultra Recurve Medium Tint that I'm very pleased with and have been using for a month and a half. I also liked the Air Curve model offered by FS and initially tried a 9 inch Light Tint version. Found that after several miles into a ride my seating positioned changed and the shield was now at mid-eye level which annoyed me, and was taking a good bit of the joy out of the ride. Freedom Shields allow you try their shield to your satisfaction and return for refund (less shipping), as long as the protective film is not removed. Returned the 9 inch and just received a replacement 7 inch Medium Tint Wide Touring Air Recurve model. No chance to road test this new replacement, but definitely no line of site issues as its about a quarter to half inch lower than the LRS when I sit in my settled in seat positions. Unfortunately, my riding is Solo Touring, so no passenger feedback.

Bottom line: Can't really say how any given shield performance will affect buffering on a passenger, as factors such a shield height/design, and certainly your passengers height and yours also will have an affect on the amount of buffering they actually experience. The recurve windshields do provide the ability for reduced height, but also afford the ability to move a fair amount of air above the rider and passenger. However, if the passengers height puts them a good bit above the rider, they're likely to have a fair amount of buffeting, which would likely require a much taller windshield. If possible test rides with dealer sample shields or go with Freedom Shields for no hassle returns.

Again, sorry no actual passenger experience.

Not sure LRS had a sale going on... check out the site may be worth a look. Just to add LRS people also are good to work with I had one crack no problem they shipped a replacement out no issues asked me to please remove it so not to cause any problems Fred

I don’t ride with a passenger but I also chose Freedom Shields. They are thicker and the edges are polished. They look fantastic and mine has reduced buffeting significantly. They are also safe to use RainX on. Great customer service too. :clapping:

Here’s a link to what I have:

https://f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_95

I’ve tried windshields from 3 different companies, and F4 is far superior in my opinion. I bought the tallest they had, and even though I have to look through it, as they advertise, they are ‘optically clear’ even with a recurve.

My daughter receives no buffeting whatsoever. She loves to ride and loves what the F4 windshield changed in her ride.

They are more expensive than the other brands mentioned here, but I’ve had them myself, and trust me...you get what you pay for.

I've got the touring Freedom shield, 13", we have the HD Zeppelin seat which sits us both about 1 1/2 " higher than stock.

I replaced the 10 inch stock shield with a 9 inch Freedom dark tint. It is an awesome upgrade. Thicker with polished edges and puts the air stream about 3 inches over my helmet. I'm 6' and slouch a bit but It works great and no complaints from my 5' 3" wife. Nice people and very helpful at Freedom.

Freedom Shields 7 Inch Wide Touring Recurve

Was able to install and take a nice long test ride yesterday with the new Freedom Shields 7 Inch Wide Touring Shield. Halfway through the test ride all I wanted to do was hurry back and remove the protection film, because this shield wasn't going back. It has more recurve and a slight more forward rake than the 8 Inch Long Ride Shield, this accounts for their closeness in overall height. Where it gains an advantage is in those " Extended Width Wings" that extend out and downward toward both front speakers. That turbulent air that usually came rushing around the normal width shields, was now being pushed further out and away from the my arms, shoulders and upper body. They also seemed to lessened what I call the "suck and blow" air pressure effect I usually got on two lane roads when an 18 wheelers would zip by quickly in the oncoming lane . Steering inputs seemed much easier, I believe this was because the air pressure was now being moved equally outward towards the outer edges of the faring. This one's a definite keeper for me, but have yet to see if it performs as well in a downpour as the Long Ride Shields 8 Inch Ultra Recurve.

Bottom line: I like both....and I'm keeping both.

FS 7 Inch Wide Touring MGT Display.jpgFS Wide 7 Inch Touring MGT Close Up.jpgFront FS Wide Touring MGT.jpg

Long Ride Shields 8 Inch Recurve 20180831_133618.jpg

I have two Long Ride Shields that I really like.

One is a 10" Ultra Recurve, light tint and the other is a 12" Ultra Recurve, light tint.

The recurved shields feel much better to me.

I switch them out depending on the temperature.

Since I ride solo, I can't comment on what the passenger would feel.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png