New build with a difference, the Strike.

Mark, the conventional trike looks great, but the downfall would be getting in and out for rider and passenger. Maybe cut the sides lower for easier access. The offset design makes unpredictable and uneven handling like sidecar riders experience. Just my 2 cents.

Looks like a great build though !!!:clapping:

not sure,, but i dont think there would be much likeness to a sidecar because the trike is 2 wheel drive an the side car is one.. and all that weight with out the wheel driving it the problem be interesting to find out

not sure,, but i dont think there would be much likeness to a sidecar because the trike is 2 wheel drive an the side car is one.. and all that weight with out the wheel driving it the problem be interesting to find out

Thanks for your replies Lee and stacebg, sorry for my delay.

The stability isn't an issue, a reasonably tight center of mass located not far in front of the rear wheels, and a low center of gravity will offer stability - it's all about leverage.

But as things go, computer 3Ds are one thing, building the real thing is another, and a tandem trike is easier to build with resources to hand. I have started the frame and getting that side of it sorted, some frame pictures in a few days.

I have been playing with the exterior design as well, of course it's just simple 3D stuff. I'll just grab some screenshots ...

strike 6 1.jpg

strike 6 2.jpg

strike 6 3.jpg

Accessibility for rider and passenger ..... quiz the owners of the Stallion by MotorTrike.

I have found that getting into one is much easier than getting out of one for both rider and passenger especially if you are long in the legs and ... large in the waist. :clapping:

Today I lasered up the rear crossmember mounts and welded them in with a new chassis member. Then set it up with wheels on and on suspension (rachet straps binding the strut cross bar down) to check ground clearances so I can design further.

vw chassis 4.JPG

vw chassis 3.JPG

:goodjob: Mark, it looks like design and construction are progressing very well.ThumbUp

What do you estimate the distance of the handle bar travel will be from full lock position left to right?

Have you factored the full lock travel distance into your front end design?

And I come back almost a full circle ...

Having wheel problems in that I can't get what I want up front (it's complicated), and one piece of the puzzle seems to be missing in each direction I take to get to a paricular result that I wanted.

If I go back to the original Strike (Trike/Sidecar), then the offset naturally allows me to use a center hub control arm/steering that offers me a number of advantages, low profile, lower center of gravity, better aerodynamics, etc.

I have spent the last few days designing on the computer, and hitting the local parts shops resourcing cheap OEM common parts (a Toyota HiLux lower ball joint for example), and haven't hit a brick wall yet.

Not only that, but it allows me to use the rear wheel disc brake, hub and stub axle for the front wheel from the same VW Mk 4 that the engine, driveline and suspension came from, and all 3 wheels are the same size and tire. Bit weird that all the VW front stuff is up the back, and the rear stuff is up the front now!

Did some hours today designing, will laser out the parts tomorrow and see how it looks.

CH 1.jpg

CH 2.jpg

CH 3.jpg

CH 4.jpg

The new found low profile with the center hub steering at the front will allow me to build a sleek body profile over it, a bit like a Stallion but squashed I guess. ....

Is it a Trike,? is it a Sidecar? is it a Sportscar? Is it a Tourer? ... why yes, yes it is.

CH 5 body.jpg

This Sidecar, made from Meccano sets, actually has a similar seating arrangement to my original concept.

basic layout.jpg

There was a sidecar bike a few years ago very similar to what you want to do. VW driveline complete with the rear wheels still inline. Googled it but couldn't bring it up. Did find something more radical though. Google wildmantrikes.net should come up.

Still playing with styling, going to have to make a decision soon though ....

I would mention again that my computer styling skills are minimal, a little imaginination required!

Striker 1.JPG

Striker 2.JPG

Striker 3.JPG

Striker 4.JPG

Sorry for no updates Guys, I am not one of those "show a few 3Ds then disappear never to be seen again", I actually have a long history of scratch built vehicles to completion.

My engine has had a miss on one cylinder, and a few backfires, and will be back at it when I fully recover from my burnt exhaust valve ....

autopsy.jpg

Dang Dude ... I was excited when I saw a new post on this thread because I love your design principles.

Having said that, I'm really jazzed to see the new post because it sounds like you got your engine stuff taken care of ... sending prayers out for a full recovery. Get well and THEN get back to work.

And I thought my misfires where impressive ... NOT!

2019-01-31 11.41.18.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colorado1975

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colorado1975
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png