Homemade Harley Passing Lamp Socket

Jack Klarich

18000+ Posts
Oct 11, 2016
Jax, Fla USA
58449d1248391039-driving-lamps-cheap-flare-nut-socket.jpg

Cut a 9/16th deep socket down with a dremel tool like in this picture

Now you can adjust and or tighten your Harley passing lamps without having to cut the wires or pay to have it done

Good idea. Made the tool to adjust the passing lamps I just bought off Ebay.Got an 02 Police Electra Glide mounting bracket with passing lamps and signal lamps.Really nice shape. Removed signal lamps. Mounted right up. Gonna run it unwired for awhile to see if I like the look.

Ok wiring- the manuals are valuable for this. If you remove the LH signal lamp nacelle panel (remove two acorn nuts) you will see the signal lamp connector. #31 male/ female.This is a 6 pin Tyco 070 multilock unsealed connector.To BCM all 6 pins have wires.From that connector to signal lamps are only three wires.Position 5&6 on the signal side are empty. On the BCM side 5&6 have blue/black wires connected.

This is your auxiliary lamp Power.You can buy harness pn#69201108 from Harley and youre all set- almost.But I'm thinking I'll just crimp some molex pins or sockets and run wires in position 5&6 and get power that way. Now for the switch. This is HD pn: 71522-08. It's a toggle switch and HD is very proud of it.

I can make up a toggle switch and run leads to #109 which is the connector to power for the switch, a 4 pin Tyco mate-n lock unsealed.You may be able to see this connector by shinning a light up the underside of the tank.I was able to pull it from the caddy. It looks like a white molex 4 pin. But like I said this is far as I'm going to see if I like the look.

Just asking as I haven't a clue. Would it be possible to simply splice the passing lamp power wire to the turn signal power? No switch required and clearly with both turn signals and passing lamps being LED...the amount of current drawn would be minimal. As I stated...just asking. Not an electrical engineer...nor an engineer of any sort or description.

Just asking as I haven't a clue. Would it be possible to simply splice the passing lamp power wire to the turn signal power? No switch required and clearly with both turn signals and passing lamps being LED...the amount of current drawn would be minimal. As I stated...just asking. Not an electrical engineer...nor an engineer of any sort or description.

These I like better than splice and butt connectors

51VXE+Xgx6L._SX522_.jpg

Your property do it anyway you want. HD already provides for the proper way to do it. Its simple. Adding the switch which is controlled by the BCM allows the passing lamps to turn off when you hit the highbeam switch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png