Old Gold Wing Mod, May be so old it's forgotten

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
So, the need: A way to open the fuel door or right glove box quickly

What you will need: Inexpensive key that works on your bike, a radio knob that matches your radio.

Step 1) Put the key in the fuel door as far as it will go, mark the key at the top of the lock.

Step 2) Remove key from lock, measure the depth from the bottom of the knob to the top on the inside.

Step 3) Add that measure meant to the height marked on the key. Cut key just slightly above that length, like 1/16". Discard the non key part.

Step 4) Hold the un cut end of the key with a vise grip and heat the cut end with a torch or the gas range. Electric range might work, but, you may leave plastic on the burner. When the key is hot, push it into the round part of the knob that would normally hold the knob on the radio. Be careful to not go through the top of the knob. This will result in a slot in the round part. Some guys super glue it in, but, I've found that will fail.

Step 5) Put the key and knob, with the knob down on a piece of cardboard. Fill the void of the knob with JB Weld. If you fill it too much, don't worry, it will file flush. Any splatter on the key can be removed with a knife (watch your fingers).

Step 6) When the JB Weld is cured, carefully file the excess JB Weld smooth. Doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't show. And, the lock has a depressed area.

Voila, you should end up with something that looks like this.

2018-09-17 05.56.13.jpg

2018-09-17 05.56.32.jpg

This "key" will open the glove box and fuel door, but, even if you leave it in the fuel door and someone takes it out, removes the knob and JB Weld, it will not start the bike. Having said that, they could use a Gold Wing blank and copy the bottom part and it might work, I've never tried that. My advice, lock it in the trunk when stopping overnight.

So, the need: A way to open the fuel door or right glove box quickly

What you will need: Inexpensive key that works on your bike, a radio knob that matches your radio.

Step 1) Put the key in the fuel door as far as it will go, mark the key at the top of the lock.

Step 2) Remove key from lock, measure the depth from the bottom of the knob to the top on the inside.

Step 3) Add that measure meant to the height marked on the key. Cut key just slightly above that length, like 1/16". Discard the non key part.

Step 4) Hold the un cut end of the key with a vise grip and heat the cut end with a torch or the gas range. Electric range might work, but, you may leave plastic on the burner. When the key is hot, push it into the round part of the knob that would normally hold the knob on the radio. Be careful to not go through the top of the knob. This will result in a slot in the round part. Some guys super glue it in, but, I've found that will fail.

Step 5) Put the key and knob, with the knob down on a piece of cardboard. Fill the void of the knob with JB Weld. If you fill it too much, don't worry, it will file flush. Any splatter on the key can be removed with a knife (watch your fingers).

Step 6) When the JB Weld is cured, carefully file the excess JB Weld smooth. Doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't show. And, the lock has a depressed area.

Voila, you should end up with something that looks like this.

View attachment 61899

View attachment 61900

This "key" will open the glove box and fuel door, but, even if you leave it in the fuel door and someone takes it out, removes the knob and JB Weld, it will not start the bike. Having said that, they could use a Gold Wing blank and copy the bottom part and it might work, I've never tried that. My advice, lock it in the trunk when stopping overnight.

Thats what i did with the ignition key on my Victory Gunner....With the exception i used a bolt head instead of a knob, Painted it black so it looked like part of the engine because the ignition switch was down on the left side between the two cylinders.....This way i didn't have to remove the key every time i stoped some where..

Key cover

Hello, I'm still a newbie to trikes, just got mine a couple of weeks ago from a dealer in WI, I'm in TX.

Anyway the key they sent with the trike is similar to yours. ThumbUp

Only looks like they took a piece of round stock aluminum about an inch thick, then drilled one hole partway in the middle for the key piece to fix in like you did with yours.

Then on the side of the aluminum they drilled and tapped for a concealed screw to hold the key piece.

The starter key switch on the Honda VTX in just below the tank, behind the engine.

With the key in the switch its blends in and is almost hidden in plain view.

Take care out on the road,

David Hilton Ret. USN ETC/SS

Epoxy works also, did mine long ago.

It's not necessary to use a Honda blank to make the key, a blank that will fit and work fine can be purchased at Walmart or Lowes or maybe anywhere that makes keys. It is an AXXESS + blank number 27R. It takes a Honda blank to make an ignition key, the other blank (at full length) is not long enough to unlock the bars but it will start the trike if the bars are not locked. That blank is a lot cheaper than a Honda blank. The grooves on the sides of the Honda blank are a lot longer than the Axxess blank, I think that is the reason it won't lock/unlock the bars. I always remove mine when I park the Trike in public.

It's not necessary to use a Honda blank to make the key, a blank that will fit and work fine can be purchased at Walmart or Lowes or maybe anywhere that makes keys. It is an AXXESS + blank number 27R. It takes a Honda blank to make an ignition key, the other blank (at full length) is not long enough to unlock the bars but it will start the trike if the bars are not locked. That blank is a lot cheaper than a Honda blank. The grooves on the sides of the Honda blank are a lot longer than the Axxess blank, I think that is the reason it won't lock/unlock the bars. I always remove mine when I park the Trike in public.

FYI, you can get "Honda Blanks" on flea bay, I think I paid $9 for four.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png