My wife, Kathy, and I ride a 2003 Valkyrie. It’s a bare-bones ride with lots of power and we loved it as two wheels. It always reminds us of the bikes we had in our younger days. In August of 2006, because I was having difficulty with my legs, Kathy selected a California Side Car Trike Kit and Art Bensheimer of Bikes-N-Trikes, converted it for us. Art has done hundreds of conversions; this was his first Valkyrie/California Side Car conversion. He did a fabulous job and we are grateful.

We are often asked why we named our Valkyrie, Gideon 2. It dates back to our first Gideon, a Suzuki Cavalcade, which we purchased in 1986. We prayed for a God-honoring name for it that would prompt questions about the Lord. As we were riding to the dealer to take delivery of the bike, we each indicated we had a name in mind. It was one of those, “Honey, you go first.” “No, you go first, things.” We simultaneously said, “Gideon”.

Over the years people have asked us about that name. At a recent bike show, a friend called over to me, “Hey Bob, why Gideon?” I explained that it gives Kathy and me the opportunity to relate the story of Gideon found in the Bible in the 6th Chapter of Judges. Israel had been under virtual siege by the Midianites for several weary years. Gideon was threshing wheat, crouching down in a winepress to avoid detection by the enemy when theLord Himself appeared with a message. “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.” Gideon’s reply was probably something like this, “Er, excuse me, were you talking to me?” Then the Lord turned to Gideon and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel. I am the One who is sending you.”

Gideon apparently wasn’t aware of any strength. He sputtered and stuttered and reminded the Stranger that he was the weakest member of the weakest clan of the weakest tribe of the weak nation of Israel. In the Living Bible paraphrase, Gideon says, “I am the least thought of in my entire family.”

We bikers are not always held in high esteem either. We are often stereotyped. I think in recent years here in the Midwest the public is becoming increasingly aware of the good that bikers do through our work in civic and charity causes. However, at times we still get those of looks of disdain and we can certainly feel like the “Least thought of” just as Gideon did.

God loved Gideon and He loves you, too. You can have a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. If you have not invited Him into your heart and life, I would urge you to do so.

God definitely called Gideon and He promised to be with Him. The scriptures record the inadequacy and misgivings voiced by those who were called by God. Jeremiah said, “I cannot speak, for I am a child.” Isaiah said, “I am a man of unclean lips and dwell among a people of unclean lips”. Ananias essentially told the Lord what He was asking was ludicrous. “You want me to do what? You are asking me go down to Straight Street to help this fellow Saul who has been persecuting the Christians?”

There is a statement that is often overused, but true nevertheless. “God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.” The Lord promised to be with each of His servants in Bible times and He promises to be with each one of us. Just as he told Joshua, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord they God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” ( Joshua 1:9 )

Gideon, the Cavalcade, was converted in the spring of 2001. Dan Earle from JD’s did the conversion. He was a bit apprehensive because he had never converted a Suzuki Cavalcade. Dan had done many Honda Gold Wings but this was something different. Then he received a call from Larry and Katie McGuire in Florida, the couple who had designed the kit he was going to use. They were traveling to Indiana for a rally and asked if they could stay with him. So the designer actually worked with Dan on Gideon’s conversion. Even more exciting and beautiful it is when the “Master Designer” changes a life!

Mountainman, the artist from West Virginia,
came north for the rally and also spent a week at JD’s. He painted a beautiful eagle with the scripture reference Isaiah 40:31 on Gideon’s gas tank. We asked him to paint “Motorcycle and Riders have been converted” on the trunk lid. That expression also appears on Gideon 2, pinstriped by Sue (Chipper) Purpura of Martinsville and prompts some interesting discussions, too!

Remember, when God calls you to work on all those great causes that bikers support, what qualifies you is your love for the people, not your brilliance, not youreloquence, but your willingness to love the people. My friends, heed His calland ride for Him with love!

As always, I look forward to seeing you down the road.

God bless,

Bob

www.newliferiders.com