Front tire - Rotate OR Not

Jun 6, 2017
Moville, IOWA
Replacing my front Cobra tire with a Battlax. Had two Cobra tires that right TWO and both have failed. The question is do I rotate the tire direction on the Battlax. I see the major of you Battlax's users are, but there is a handful of you haven't and state have hand no problems. Someone explain why I should rotate the direction.

I heard roomers that Bia Ply will be nosier ride but noise goes away after a couple hundred miles. I can always turn radio headset up a little louder to eliminate that issues. LOL

Some say I will have a stiffer ride from the front. REALLY will I notice a difference?

Basically radio front tire's (Cobra) not working on my 08 Goldwing with RS conversion and I'm hoping the Bia Ply will give me a stiffer sidewall.

My second Cobra tire sidewalls gave out in the second season with 7000 miles. Second season took it into the Somkey Mtn's tweesties and there where I got my failure.

I suggest replacing it with a rear compound motorcycle tire when your current one is in

need of replacement. The ones most used are the Metzler ME880, Dunlop 404 and

the Bridgestone Battlax. These will provide the increased wear and safety and

performance you will need.

I have the Dunlop 404 on my trtike. The following is posted on the Avon Tyre website

NOTE* If you are using a tire

that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you

want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction

so you don’t aggravate the tread splice. Avon Tyres.

I’m curious about your Avon failures as I am on my third tire running the Arkansas twisties aggessively with two up and heavy.

1. Did you use the Avon Cobra Trike tire with the AVON COBRA TRIKE stenciled in the sidewall?

2. What pressure did you use?

3. Could you please describe the failures in detail?

there are many of us using the ACT tire and would most interested if there is a problem.

Thanks

I have a 2008 GL1800 with Motor Trike Adventure kit - running the BT45 on the front - in normal, forward rotation.

NO trouble whatsoever in ride, sound, handling.

Also have added Ride-On puncture protection in all tires - if its a good road I can turn loose of the handlebars and roll just as smooth as butter and steady as a rock!

I’m curious about your Avon failures as I am on my third tire running the Arkansas twisties aggessively with two up and heavy.1. Did you use the Avon Cobra Trike tire with the AVON COBRA TRIKE stenciled in the sidewall?

2. What pressure did you use?3. Could you please describe the failures in detail?there are many of us using the ACT tire and would most interested if there is a problem.

Thanks

And 4.... were the failures after hitting a pot hole maybe (like a deep one)?

I ask as much of BRP is torn up down south and needing resurface.

I've really enjoyed my Avon Cobra Trike Radial, no hint of a problem. Know a few others whom are pleased.

I have a 2008 GL1800 with Motor Trike Adventure kit - running the BT45 on the front - in normal, forward rotation.

NO trouble whatsoever in ride, sound, handling.

Also have added Ride-On puncture protection in all tires - if its a good road I can turn loose of the handlebars and roll just as smooth as butter and steady as a rock!

We are on the same page with the Ride-On product, and I also have it in my tires, been using it since I had my Road Smith install in 2012. All my tires have run true and it gives me a level of comfort, I won't go into why I think it's a good product, I'd say just go to the web site and read about it and make your own decision. I run the Cobra Trike Tire, but will probably replace it with the BT45 (rear) when the Cobra goes south. I have run both tires, and cannot tell the difference between the two.

I’m curious about your Avon failures as I am on my third tire running the Arkansas twisties aggessively with two up and heavy.

1. Did you use the Avon Cobra Trike tire with the AVON COBRA TRIKE stenciled in the sidewall?

2. What pressure did you use?

3. Could you please describe the failures in detail?

there are many of us using the ACT tire and would most interested if there is a problem.

Thanks

No one said Avon Tires weren't excellent tires. Their website only pointed out you should not use a bias-ply rear tire on the front unless it is mounted in reverse. You do not want to aggravate the tread splice.

Ride safe

Had 2 BT-45 on my Trike. First one reversed, second one mounted normally. Both performed well. Great mileage both ways. Discussions from past threads much like the chicken or the egg. No real answer. Personal choice. You won't go wrong either way. The price is great and the tire gets over 20 K either way. Some of these " trike only tires are almost twice the price of the BT 45

Had 2 BT-45 on my Trike. First one reversed, second one mounted normally. Both performed well. Great mileage both ways. Discussions from past threads much like the chicken or the egg. No real answer. Personal choice. You won't go wrong either way. The price is great and the tire gets over 20 K either way. Some of these " trike only tires are almost twice the price of the BT 45

The only trike specific front tire is the Avon Cobra Trike. I buy it routinely for about $35-40 over the price of the BT-45 which I used in the past. To me the ride and handling improvement is worth the extra money. I get the same mileage as the BT-45 which 11-13 Kmi if I stay near home and ride the twisties with chip & seal surface. Flatlanders get a lot more miles.

Answering questions

Thanks Everyone for your input and responses. As for the cobra trike tire yes it is stenciled in the side of the tire. As for my failure I had 3 or 4 sidewall beads that broke loose causing a big bulge in the sidewall of the tire. Tire was always check everytime I read to ensure 41 PSI. As for the Cobra tire I really loved its performance but feel unsafe using it again after what I experienced. 1st season with this tire everything was great wear was hardly noticeable same thing into the 2nd season until at about 7000 miles on the tire made a trip into the North Carolina twisty and after 400 miles of curves noticed the failure.

1st Cobra tire lasted 1500 miles and began leaking at several spots in the bottom of the tread were it look like very very small pinholes that would loose 3 - 4 PSI of air in about 5 days.

Thanks Everyone for your input and responses. As for the cobra trike tire yes it is stenciled in the side of the tire. As for my failure I had 3 or 4 sidewall beads that broke loose causing a big bulge in the sidewall of the tire. Tire was always check everytime I read to ensure 41 PSI. As for the Cobra tire I really loved its performance but feel unsafe using it again after what I experienced. 1st season with this tire everything was great wear was hardly noticeable same thing into the 2nd season until at about 7000 miles on the tire made a trip into the North Carolina twisty and after 400 miles of curves noticed the failure.

1st Cobra tire lasted 1500 miles and began leaking at several spots in the bottom of the tread were it look like very very small pinholes that would loose 3 - 4 PSI of air in about 5 days.

Thanks much for the follow up reply and information. I will be paying close attention to my tire now. Like I said, I'm on tire number three and have had no problems so far.

Another question I just thought about: how are the tires mounted? Could the mounting be damaging the sidewall?

I hope others will step forward with information on problems so we know whether this is an isolated instance or widespread trouble.

Addition answer

How was the tire mounted? It was done in a motorcycle dealership and I witnessed the mounting and balancing and everything look correct. As for the tire Avon has requested it be sent back to them through the dealer where I bought the tire as they are concerned which is a good feeling that they want to check out what possibly happened here.

As for the Cobra trike tire I'm not badd bad mouthing it. I'm just don't feel safe trying it for a 3rd time just want an all owners of this type tire to pay a little closer attention. Maybe I'm just that lucky with front tires on a trike - lol.

Dealer told me tire is still under warranty and based on what Avon does I should get compensated for the cost of the battle ax tire I just purchase. We'll see how that goes and I'll keep posted what happens.

As for the miles I put on this tire basically I'm a flat land rider coming from the Midwest here in Iowa the thing that concerned me was this year went in to the North Carolina twisty and that's when I had a problem. The the reason I brought this up as I know a lot of you trikers out there do ride the twisty regular and just want those to be aware of this. Maybe the twisty wasn't the problem just could of been a bad tire.

Ride safe everyone and keep it between the white lines.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png