Cruise Control on VW trikes

Sep 11, 2018
Joshua, Texas
Will be buying a VW trike in the near future. Does any one know about cruise control that will work on them. I havent seen any yet that say they have it. I had it on my last two Harleys and it sure made things better. Arthritis makes my hand go numb if slow riding a lot. May have to deal with it. Figures with this wealth of knowledge on here someone would know if it can or has been done in the past. Dont know if what I buy will have a foot or a twist throttle...havent found the right one yet. Not may VW trikes in my area to look at. They seem to be everywhere except where I am....lol

Thanks in Advance

Big D

A newer bug electrical system may have the electronic controlled cruise control in it.

Older bugs do not have cruise control, unless some one installed a aftermarket set up.

I just never favored cruise control on the bike, kinda thought about it on the trike, but just do not feel comfortable with the idea. Maybe just a mechanical lock into position type, something with a quick release might be fine, but I do not see the mess of wires and electronics worth it all.

Hope you the best.

I dont think the air cooled vw had a cruise control option from the factory.

I think there are aftermarket units and possibly even some that had dealer installed units.

I have used the motorcycle throttle locks and been happy with that.

Right now I have a harley style throttle with the tension thumb screw on the bottom. I just tighten it enough to hold where I leave it. The only problem with that is that it takes too much attention to set up the first time.

I have heard a lot of different stories since that old post.

One being in how it was originally registered. With just the way it is worded making the difference.

Others claiming even if it passes registration, if it is an obvious fab build and you are caught/questioned by the police they will pull the registration.

Then I hear a lot of fab built trikes are being sold out of the state.

Also hear of less trustworthy folks finding they can no longer register and selling to an unknowing buyer.

What all is actually true and do-able in Texas......I do not know.

Our founder here, Papa Zook, is in Texas. Maybe he has seen the laws and knows more about it all.

Wow some people. Spend the money and than it can not be registered in your state, that would get me upset.

So I just remembered a few years back I filed a non op on this trike. I better get down to DMV and get the new registration on it while I can before it is to late.

Hello, I have a Vista throttle lock on trike that I took off of my Nomad and it works pretty well without costing a bunch. It is a thumb lock with a tension set nut. I tighten the nut enough that the throttle is a bit hard to turn. NOTE: if you do this, tell the mechanic or they might ride it right to be back wall expecting the throttle to shut down automaticly. It will tick them off. My trike was home built in Tx. The builder got it finished just after the Tx. law changed. He had a title for the front end and transfered it to an Ok. title. I bought it with an Ok. title. I don't know if Tx. has changed the laws to make it easier, but it would warrent a look before buying. Getting a title on a homemade any thing is La. is an ordeal.

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png