surging and erratic running

Sep 21, 2015
vine grove, ky
Hoping someone may have experience this. 1988 Honda Goldwing starts fine but will idle erratic. When operating and when you ask it to go it bogs a bit and will catch up and run ok for a bit then it does it again. This trike belongs to my brother and I am trying to help him trouble shoot. Plugs have been changed, fuel filter, carbs cleaned, coils cleaned, traced vacumn hoses and found no issues. Read somewhere where a temperature control sensor could be the culprit. Also reading said that 1988 and 1989 used a different sensor than the 90-2000. We have had this trike to a Honda Mechanic but he did not mention this. I have asked for advice here before and really appreciate you all. It is hard to find someone in our area that will work on a 1500. I live it Ky so any help in a good reliable mechanic would be helpful if we cannot get her going.

Have you tried spraying gum-out around the intake manifolds while it is running? If there is a leak, you would see it try and stall then as you spray. Just my guess. Never worked on a wing.

If it is fuel injected, maybe electronic butterfly control?

Double check all vacuum hoses to the carbs...Also...

Have the Carbs been out and then thoroughly cleaned...?...

Not just running carb cleaner though the gas tank...?

Have you tried spraying gum-out around the intake manifolds while it is running? If there is a leak, you would see it try and stall then as you spray. Just my guess. Never worked on a wing.

If it is fuel injected, maybe electronic butterfly control?

We will have it apart soon and will try that. He did spray some around the left side manifold and it did affect the running of the motor. Thanks for the suggestion. We will try that and see if we can locate a leak.

Double check all vacuum hoses to the carbs...Also...

Have the Carbs been out and then thoroughly cleaned...?...

Not just running carb cleaner though the gas tank...?

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes carbs out and cleaned and vacumn hoses appeared newer than thirty years old. Will be trying the previous suggestion of spraying gumout around manifold to test for any leaks in intake. Thanks Rhino for you quick response.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png