Original Tread Depth on Marathon ME*** Front Tire

Sunman

900+ Posts
Apr 6, 2011
Bellville, Texas, USA
I am currently running a Marathon ME888 Ultra Front Tire (130/60-B19) on my 2015 Freewheeler. At 4,950 miles on it I have between 4/32" and 5/32" tread depth left. I have looked on Metzler's website but can not find any info on what the new tread depth was. I am thinking it was 6/32" but I don't know where I got that idea. Does anyone know where to find this info? I have searched the web but could not find anything. The only thing I found on Metzler's website about tread depth was in the warranty section where it said the life of a street tire is over at 1/32" as far as warranty claims.

At 4/32" to 5/32" there should be quit a bit of good life left in this tire but I would like to know what the original depth was just to gauge wear versus miles. I normally run this tire at 35 to 36 psi.

Thanks for any help,

Sunman

i can't tell you the original depth, but the 888 on the front of my rig is pushing 8k with no signs of giving up. I'm hoping for 12k at least.

Thanks for the reply. Mine still looks like a lot of miles left in it but I never seem to get the mileage out of front tires that others seem to get. Maybe this tire will be better. First time I have run a 888.

Sunman

I am currently running a Marathon ME888 Ultra Front Tire (130/60-B19) on my 2015 Freewheeler. At 4,950 miles on it I have between 4/32" and 5/32" tread depth left. I have looked on Metzler's website but can not find any info on what the new tread depth was. I am thinking it was 6/32" but I don't know where I got that idea. Does anyone know where to find this info? I have searched the web but could not find anything. The only thing I found on Metzler's website about tread depth was in the warranty section where it said the life of a street tire is over at 1/32" as far as warranty claims.

At 4/32" to 5/32" there should be quit a bit of good life left in this tire but I would like to know what the original depth was just to gauge wear versus miles. I normally run this tire at 35 to 36 psi.

Thanks for any help,

Sunman

Sunman, every tire I have researched for the front of a FW, is either 5/32" or 6/32". I was just looking at the Dunlop American Elite in our size and it's 6/32"

I'm kind of strange, I make a list of acceptable replacements (tires, batteries, etc) & when the need arises, I just track down the best price. I noticed the American Elite currently has a $20 rebate from Dunlop.:cool:

On the OEM Dunlop 408, after 3,500 miles running it at 36psi, I dropped it to 34psi & like that wear pattern a little better. I'm at 6,600 miles & it looks like it will go 16-18,000 miles.

I am currently running the back tires at 24 psi. Those rear tires look like they will last at least 40,000 miles.

Sunman, every tire I have researched for the front of a FW, is either 5/32" or 6/32". I was just looking at the Dunlop American Elite in our size and it's 6/32"I'm king of strange, I make a list of acceptable replacements (tires, batteries, etc) & when the need arises, I just track down the best price. I noticed the American Elite currently has a $20 rebate from Dunlop.:cool:On the OEM Dunlop 408, after 3,500 miles running it at 36psi, I dropped it to 34psi & like that wear pattern a little better. I'm at 6,600 miles & it looks like it will go 16-18,000 miles.I am currently running the back tires at 24 psi. Those rear tires look like they will last at least 40,000 miles.

Thanks MDO. I looked all over the Metz. website and could not find the new thread depth but I have in my mind that it was 6/32". Back tires on my FW have 26,000 miles and they have lots of miles left. I now ride solo only and I run 21 to 22 PSI in them. Before when my wife rode with me I ran 23 to 24 PSI. Wear is even and lots of tread left on them.

Sunman

Reactions: MDO
Sunman, every tire I have researched for the front of a FW, is either 5/32" or 6/32". I was just looking at the Dunlop American Elite in our size and it's 6/32"

I'm kind of strange, I make a list of acceptable replacements (tires, batteries, etc) & when the need arises, I just track down the best price. I noticed the American Elite currently has a $20 rebate from Dunlop.:cool:

On the OEM Dunlop 408, after 3,500 miles running it at 36psi, I dropped it to 34psi & like that wear pattern a little better. I'm at 6,600 miles & it looks like it will go 16-18,000 miles.

I am currently running the back tires at 24 psi. Those rear tires look like they will last at least 40,000 miles.

40k on my back tires and still plenty of meat on the treads..... on my 3rd front tire.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png