Question for those with transmission oil transfer issues

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
I have been having transmission oil migration issues with my 17,well the dealer did the " fix" and havent had enough miles on it yet to see if its fixed( I kinda doubt it).So has anyone one else with this issue noticed the smell of transmission oil more prevalent than before.I have checked the underside of the trike with a white shop towel and besides road dirt there is no signs of any leaks,running Belray so the red would show up.No drops on the garage floor.I know the trans is vented so i may get a whiff every now and again but this seems like more than any bike i have ever owned this is HD number 11 for me so I have owned a few lol. Just curious.

I don't have the problem. I run Lucas 20w50 full synthetic in all 3 holes & I never smell it.

I would think you would only smell it if it's burning.

Does Belray smell different than regular lubricant?

I don't have the problem. I run Lucas 20w50 full synthetic in all 3 holes & I never smell it.

I would think you would only smell it if it's burning.

Does Belray smell different than regular lubricant?

To me Belray smells more like the rear end lube you use in your car or truck.

Prior Knowledge

I'm curious if any of the owners of the Newer trikes with the M-8 engine were aware of the migration Oil problem before you bought your bikes? I would be considering an upgrade, but can't get my head around that issue. Thanks jc

I curious if any of the owners of the Newer trikes with the M-8 engine were aware of the migration Oil problem before you bought your bikes? I would be considering an upgrade, but can't get my head around that issue. Thanks jc

Yes I was aware of the oil migration, not all of them have this trouble, just so you know this is also happening on the 2014 and up, not just the M8, this is 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers with the hydrualic clutch so it seems, my cousin has this problem on his 2014 triglide, he traded it for a 2017 and has around 6,000 miles on his 2017 and no problems so far. I got rid of my 2016 triglide but I didn't have any problems with it that I was aware of, just bought a 2018 but have not picked it up, was waiting on parts that took forever to get, all parts in now, just waiting for them to put them on and with cold and rainy weather here right now, not sure how miles I will put on before I park it for winter.

All for now Trampas

Yes I was aware of the oil migration, not all of them have this trouble, just so you know this is also happening on the 2014 and up, not just the M8, this is 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers with the hydrualic clutch so it seems, my cousin has this problem on his 2014 triglide, he traded it for a 2017 and has around 6,000 miles on his 2017 and no problems so far. I got rid of my 2016 triglide but I didn't have any problems with it that I was aware of, just bought a 2018 but have not picked it up, was waiting on parts that took forever to get, all parts in now, just waiting for them to put them on and with cold and rainy weather here right now, not sure how miles I will put on before I park it for winter.

All for now Trampas

Congratulations on your new ride. Hopefully, you won't have the oil migration problem.

Congratulations on your new ride. Hopefully, you won't have the oil migration problem.

Thanks, I hope I don't have the migration, really won't know until next year the way the weather is going on here, sure the same for you as well

All for now Trampas

P.S. Once I get it I will post some pics if I get the chance and a sunny day, not to many here lately

I'm curious if any of the owners of the Newer trikes with the M-8 engine were aware of the migration Oil problem before you bought your bikes? I would be considering an upgrade, but can't get my head around that issue. Thanks jc

My answer is no Not a word of any problems with the NEW M8 and I did ask a lot of questions

Mine started [17 T/G] At around 1k...Then 3 times at 1k each, And when they did the so-called fix kit, It dropped to 8 hundred miles...And then i got rid if the problem..:mad:

It appears I may have the oil migration issue going on too. Due for the 5K service and thought a dipstik level check would be a good idea....I always check the engine oil but the trannie? Not so often thinking why would it be low....where could it go?? Well, of course, it's down to the ADD mark and assuming they added the correct amount at the 1K service I must conclude there is trannie juice going somewhere.

And so another saga begins...........keep you posted :xzqxz:

It appears I may have the oil migration issue going on too. Due for the 5K service and thought a dipstik level check would be a good idea....I always check the engine oil but the trannie? Not so often thinking why would it be low....where could it go?? Well, of course, it's down to the ADD mark and assuming they added the correct amount at the 1K service I must conclude there is trannie juice going somewhere.

They , The dealer will by Harleys edict, Tell you the'll fill both the Trans and the Primary back to the proper level's , Then come on back in another thousand miles...Like you do with shampoo , Rinse and repeat.........Again...:(

Just looking at the repair order receipt for my 1K service (actually @ 1500 mi)

There are two oil related items:

-4 qts SYN-3 Quart Conversion

-2 SYN3, 1-QT, BTL

4 Qts is the engine oil change I assume, is the 2 Qts a total trannie change or just an addition?

-2 SYN3, 1-QT, BTL

4 Qts is the engine oil change I assume, is the 2 Qts a total trannie change or just an addition?

4 qts in the motor , 1 qt in the trans , 1 qt in the primary. Using 1 qt bottles :Shrug: Looks right to me.

-2 SYN3, 1-QT, BTL

The Two Qts is the total fill, Approximately 28 Oz gos in the trans ...And the rest in the primary...Two Qts total...

Sorry to here that dannymax. Here is a question. ..is it possible it was always low?

After hearing about the tranny issue, I was checking every 250 miles, then 500 & now 1,000.

You are the 1st. Freewheeler I remember hearing of with the problem.

Jack has mentioned this before, the only correct way to verify the migration is to drain/measure both tranny & primary. You have to know where your start point is.

Sorry to here that dannymax. Here is a question. ..is it possible it was always low?

After hearing about the tranny issue, I was checking every 250 miles, then 500 & now 1,000.

You are the 1st. Freewheeler I remember hearing of with the problem.

Jack has mentioned this before, the only correct way to verify the migration is to drain/measure both tranny & primary. You have to know where your start point is.

Yes Michael, it is possible if that is the level they filled to during the 1K service. I will be calling today to schedule the 5K and will ask them if that's their normal fill to level...it would be good if it is. I should have checked after the first service but alas....I didn't.

I wanted to wait till spring for the 5K but better do it now and get on their radar in case this grows.

Thanks for the replies! :Coffee:

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png