Avon Trike Tire

TWISTED1

70+ Posts
Apr 12, 2017
Mehama, Oregon
I bought an Avon tire at HD. The catalog said it was a trike tire. I got home and measured tread depth. It was at 6/32 and did not have Trike on the sidewall. I should have read the posts closer on Avon tires before buying it. I am wondering if anyone has run this tire (AV71 MT90B16 74H) on their Tri Glide and what you thought of it. I rode it home and it seemed to grip better in then the curves then the Dunlap. Could be just me. The whole part number thing is confusing to me. Hoping to get at least as many miles on it (12500) as i did the Dunlap. Thanks.

I ran a regular Avon on our CSC trike before they came out with the Trike tire. It ran well. Got good mileage out of it (12,000 - 13,000). Replaced it with the Trike tire before it was wore out due a long trip we were heading out on.

Just make sure to run Avon's recommended air pressure... 40 - 41 pounds. You'll get better mileage that way.

I bought an Avon tire at HD. The catalog said it was a trike tire. I got home and measured tread depth. It was at 6/32 and did not have Trike on the sidewall. I should have read the posts closer on Avon tires before buying it. I am wondering if anyone has run this tire (AV71 MT90B16 74H) on their Tri Glide and what you thought of it. I rode it home and it seemed to grip better in then the curves then the Dunlap. Could be just me. The whole part number thing is confusing to me. Hoping to get at least as many miles on it (12500) as i did the Dunlap. Thanks.

The trike only tire has trike on the sidewall & is p/n 2110011. The regular AV71 Avon tire has very good reviews also. I would be concerned that they charged you the higher trike only price.

The regular AV71 p/n is

Also, keep in mind, the 1st. 100 miles or so, new motorcycle tires can be very slick due to the mold release the Mfg. uses when the tire is made. It wears off quickly.

Thanks guys for the replies. Now I have an idea what to expect. I have it at 40 psi so hearing from someone who had this tire I figure i am good in that department. Thank you for the p/n numbers. I will save them the for next time around and yes I am going to go back and double check the price (good advice).

Steve

I have the "Trike" tire on my 16. Now have 18,000 + miles on it & still looks very good. Let us know how that one holds up.

After returning from the Texas gathering last week my 2018 TG now has just a bit over 17,000 miles on it now. I checked the front tire and I am just a tad over 2/32" tread depth so I'm going to need a new front tire before very long. I will be getting the Avon trike specific tire.

Bill, you say your Avon looks very good with over 18k on it. Can you measure the tread depth?

Jerry

After returning from the Texas gathering last week my 2018 TG now has just a bit over 17,000 miles on it now. I checked the front tire and I am just a tad over 2/32" tread depth so I'm going to need a new front tire before very long. I will be getting the Avon trike specific tire.

Bill, you say your Avon looks very good with over 18k on it. Can you measure the tread depth?

Jerry

Well right now I don't see a "wear bar" & can't move it enough to find one. However where I did measure, deep part of tread was 7/32.. That said we dont spend hardly any time on the super slab. We try to run 2 & 4 lane US rts. What pressure you running ? I am at Avon recommended pressure of 42.

Well right now I don't see a "wear bar" & can't move it enough to find one. However where I did measure, deep part of tread was 7/32.. That said we dont spend hardly any time on the super slab. We try to run 2 & 4 lane US rts. What pressure you running ? I am at Avon recommended pressure of 42.

Haven't visited this thread in a while but I'm running 36 psi on the front oem Dunlop as per H-D's recommendation. I've always run 36 psi in the front tire on all my Harleys.

Just wondering why Avon recommends so much higher pressure. Does it affect the ride quality negatively or are the Avon sidewalls softer than the stock Dunlops?

Haven't visited this thread in a while but I'm running 36 psi on the front oem Dunlop as per H-D's recommendation. I've always run 36 psi in the front tire on all my Harleys.

Just wondering why Avon recommends so much higher pressure. Does it affect the ride quality negatively or are the Avon sidewalls softer than the stock Dunlops?

I seem to remember something about low pressure causing tire to "cup" .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png