Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Champion reverse on a 5 speed

40+ Posts
    User ID

Default Removing Champion reverse on a 5 speed

Hi all. Some years ago I fitted the reverse kit to my 5 speed Harley trike. I have since sold the trike and the new owner has contacted me to say getting it in to reverse has become almost impossible. Now in all the years I had it, I never had a problem. It all points to him probably selecting reverse while in forward gear. Iíve offered to help. Has anyone had this issue and can they offer some advice. All forward gears are fine although N has become hard to find. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

20+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by knockdolian View Post
    Hi all. Some years ago I fitted the reverse kit to my 5 speed Harley trike. I have since sold the trike and the new owner has contacted me to say getting it in to reverse has become almost impossible. Now in all the years I had it, I never had a problem. It all points to him probably selecting reverse while in forward gear. Iíve offered to help. Has anyone had this issue and can they offer some advice. All forward gears are fine although N has become hard to find. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Have the new owner try this before he has the reverse removed. Put the transmission in first and then put the lever in the reverse position. Shift to neutral and then back up. I do this and it works perfectly without grind. Hope this helps.

40+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by PSL5082 View Post
    Have the new owner try this before he has the reverse removed. Put the transmission in first and then put the lever in the reverse position. Shift to neutral and then back up. I do this and it works perfectly without grind. Hope this helps.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Iíll get him to try but the problem seems to be the lever just wonít move ?.

400+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

If neutral is hard to find sounds like clutch isn't fully releasing. Maybe just a clutch adjustment.

20+ Posts
    User ID

Hi, thanks for your reply. Iíll get him to try but the problem seems to be the lever just wonít move ?.
    It sounds like he may be caught between forward and reverse. That happened to me once. If the trike won't move and the lever is stuck, have him try rocking the trike back and forth. That may free it up.

40+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by PSL5082 View Post
    It sounds like he may be caught between forward and reverse. That happened to me once. If the trike won't move and the lever is stuck, have him try rocking the trike back and forth. That may free it up.
    Itís not locked up. He can ride it fine he just canít get it in to reverse. I think heís tried forcing it in to reverse while in in 1st. From what I remember when fitting it thereís not much to it. My concern is removing the trap door. Would I heed to replace the crush washers and grub screws ?

7000+ Posts
    User ID

Unfortunately if you didn't save the original parts that were removed to install the reverse, he'll be looking for a few new/used parts.

It's been 20 years since I installed my reverse kit and I can't remember what all came out, but without the original or replacement stock trans parts he won't be simply taking out the reverse kit.

Best he leave it together and simply not use it, if the trans still shifts okay in all 5 forward gears...

If the trans is in any gear other than Neutral, the reverse will not engage, and could quite possibly cause internal damage in trying to engage reverse in any other gear than Neutral.
    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag and our culture offend so many people...but our benefits don't???

40+ Posts
    User ID

So nobody has actually taken the reverse trap door off before? Think we will just take it off and see what happens ?

Lehman / Champion Guru
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

So nobody has actually taken the reverse trap door off before? Think we will just take it off and see what happens ?
    Paul,

Removing the trap door is the easy part generally speaking if you have (or make up) a puller.

Make sure the gear lever is working externally first.

The lever is spring loaded, does the lever push-in and out easily ???

Some new owners don't know there is a detente area in the actuation of the handle and just try to force it to move.

This could bend the handle-shaft and not allow the handle to push-in through the brass bushing, getting it out of the lock position.

If it is a mechanical issue with the actuator, then the door needs to be removed.

The toughest part is removing the gears from the shaft and may require a little heat to soften the glue.

http://championsidecars.com/wp-conte...peed_trans.pdf
    Jim Murphy
    Lehman Tech since 1998
    Champion Tech since 2005
    Lehman & Champion Dealer Owner Operator
    Iron Butt Rider 2001

WHEN HELP IS OFFERED, A SIMPLE "THANK YOU" IS APPRECIATED.

40+ Posts
    User ID

The toughest part is removing the gears from the shaft and may require a little heat to soften the glue [/QUOTE]

Thanks Lee. This is the information Iím after. I think the problem is with the detente as itís moving the leaver is the issue. The gears shouldnít have to come off. I think to get the trap door of with the linkage and the idler you remove the grub screws then undo the big Allan head bolts. Remove the trap door with a puller. That would leave the gears on the shaft right ?

my main concern is the grub screws I remember were plastic and the shafts are shimmed to give the right clearance. That shouldnít change but think the crush washers would need replacing. Am I talking bollocks ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast