Gas mileage

Sep 12, 2013
Arthur City
OK, what can I do, without spending tons on tuners, etc, to get better gas mileage?? I'm only getting 28-36 mpg. I'm used to as much was 44 on my 2016 StreetGlide.

OK, what can I do, without spending tons on tuners, etc, to get better gas mileage?? I'm only getting 28-36 mpg. I'm used to as much was 44 on my 2016 StreetGlide.

Your right in the ball park MPG Wise...Don't forget you are comparing Apples to Oranges.... The T/G is quite a bit heavier, and cuts though the air like the proverbial Outhouse on wheels.....

Your gas mileage will vary a lot depending on speed, headwind, one up or two up and a whole bunch of other variables. The mileage your getting falls into the normal range of what I've seen on a TriGlide for the past 6 years. Definitely can't compare it to your old two wheeler like Rhino2 said.

I average about 32 mpg and I'm a lead foot. :)

I am definitely a leadfoot(lead wrist??). I thought I was gonna give up fast riding & twisties when I switched over but I can keep up with the Road Glides, no problem. Plus I can easily pop a wheelie if I want to. LOL

Is this a M8 engine?

They run richer than Twin Cams

Have you tried short shifting gears?

With knock sensors on these engines you don't have to wind em out before shifting

Reactions: MDO
I had just over 20,000 miles on my 16 TG when I traded for my 19. I was lucky to get 30mpg. The dealership said the new M8-114s get better mpg. We will see.

You ride 2 up though, right? So that's probably right. I ride solo so 32 mpg is OK for me. On the highway I do get closer to 38 mpg.

I've tracked my mileage on my cars and bikes ever since leaving the Marines in 67, where I had to do all that. It's just a habit.

MPG is pretty much subjective. Depends on road condition, speed, tires, wind speed and direction, temps, engine modifications, etc. My results are averaged over thousands of miles and time. On a stock TG.

I had just over 20,000 miles on my 16 TG when I traded for my 19. I was lucky to get 30mpg. The dealership said the new M8-114s get better mpg. We will see.

Joe, In the 972 miles that I have put on the new 114 M8 trike, I have noticed that before it is even fully broken in that it seems to be getting 1-3 MPG better than my similarly equipped 107 M8. I really like the way the new engine is performing. You migrated from the TC103 but I have had two subsequent migrations to get to the 114 M8 and I notice significant improvements in the interplay between the new M8 engine and the trike itself. Much smoother and more pleasant to ride.

Past two weeks I've tracked my miles and mpg closely. 33.7 mpg on rural hi-way and city combined. 37 mpg on recent short interstate trips. Not uncommon to get 38 mpg on longer trips with gas and dash fill ups.

Congrats on your new ride!

As already stated, mpg varies greatly based on riding habits, roads traveled, speeds, shift points, etc.

There are two things that you can do that will have an impact on MPG-

1. Run it cool, the cooler you can get it to run, the more efficiently it will produce power, resulting in better mpg. Here is a LINK to a Report on this subject.

2. Do not feed oxygen depleted air into the intake. The default setup, from the factory, does this. For very little $ you can change this, resulting in better power & better mpg. See Report at this LINK.

Kevin

Joe, In the 972 miles that I have put on the new 114 M8 trike, I have noticed that before it is even fully broken in that it seems to be getting 1-3 MPG better than my similarly equipped 107 M8. I really like the way the new engine is performing. You migrated from the TC103 but I have had two subsequent migrations to get to the 114 M8 and I notice significant improvements in the interplay between the new M8 engine and the trike itself. Much smoother and more pleasant to ride.

It is much smoother and nicer to ride. Just coming up on 600 miles and I haven't even tired to track my mpg yet. Good news if it gets a little better than the 107 M8 right out of the box though, because my buddies M8 got better mpg than my 103. One thing I keep noticing is that the fans continue to run after shutting it down almost all the time, whereas my 103 seldom did unless it was really hot outside.

It is much smoother and nicer to ride. Just coming up on 600 miles and I haven't even tired to track my mpg yet. Good news if it gets a little better than the 107 M8 right out of the box though, because my buddies M8 got better mpg than my 103. One thing I keep noticing is that the fans continue to run after shutting it down almost all the time, whereas my 103 seldom did unless it was really hot outside.

My 2017 M8 Fans also ran on after i shut it off....Sounded like the Valkyrie i once had...:D

Joe, Harley I believe had changed the parameters between the 103's and the M8's in terms of how the fans were actuated. I think the M8 rely a bit more on ambient temps rather than just engine temps IIRC. Bob

Joe, Harley I believe had changed the parameters between the 103's and the M8's in terms of how the fans were actuated. I think the M8 rely a bit more on ambient temps rather than just engine temps IIRC. Bob

Bob, the cylinder head temp sensor got moved to the rear cylinder with the M8 engines

It is shrouded by the air cleaner back plate, so IMO it is seeing higher temps;)

Reactions: MDO
I'm with rhino, a triglide is heavier, and less aero dynamic. I ride a 2015 TG, with stage 1 high flow air cleaner and stage 1 screaming eagle street cannons . I also upgraded the ECM. I average between 36 to 42 depending on how hard I ride. About what everyone else is getting.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png